THE FIX to your speed problems

CrazyPersian

Like many of you i was previously using BitComet and getting great speeds. I switched over to utorrent becase it uses so little resources, but i also felt a drop in speeds. After a bit of tweaking i realized a few settings need to be changed to get those old speeds.

And for the record i went from downloading at 300+ kb/s on my private tracker and it went down to 30 kb/s. But with these setting tweaks i boosted it back up to 300+ kb/s again.

Firstly:

My Global is at: 5000

My Per is at: 1000

Max Torrents: 15

Max active Downloads: 500

yes i know these values are a bit high... but i wanted to see if i could get my old fast speeds.

Now the MOST IMPORTANT part... to the advanced options menu:

net.low_cpu = false.......................utorrent uses so little... this really cant hurt ur computers performance that much

net.max_halfopen = 40...................BE CAREFUL, this is ONLY FOR THOSE THAT HAVE APPLIED THE WIN XP SP2 PATCH and boosted this number back up to 50. IF you have not run the patch or are not sure of how many ur settings allow... DO NOT CHANGE THIS.

bt.connect_speed = 500.................again i know this number is a bit large... but try it for urself and see if u get the speed boost, then u can slowly lower it if you wish.

But i have made these settings in my uTorrent and now my torrents are speedy as

ok you got your speed back, but 5 upload slots and 1000 download slots.... and no mention of what you set your up speed to. I could be wrong but I am reading something different here and I did not call you a L..

your down speed will depend on your up and just how much the other peer wants to give, if you connect to 500 and they are all sharing at 2K, you should get great speed if they all send different pieces at the same time. if they are not sending fast then your speed will slow down.

You honestly shouldn't be running more than TWO with that kind of upload speed.. spreading your upload across so many torrents makes things slower, since if you recall how BT works, your upload speed to peers largely determines how much they give back. 40k spread across 12 torrents spread across 4 upload slots( or more!).. or even 40k spread across 5 torrents spread across 4 upload slots per torrent still isn't that good..

Wow... im being called a liar... interesting.

My upload speed is at 40kb/s which is the max my cable allows for me to do without ruining the internet for the rest of my computers. And just because i have 1000 download slots that doesnt actually mean that its going to use even a fraction of those. The most ive seen one connect to at the same time was maybe 15 or so on one torrent... but i set it that large to see what it could do.

Firon: If I just select TWO torrents running, that would be my upload is 15k/s per file and 20k/s total for TWO torrents running at the same time.

I don't know what diff. when I enabled 'lowcpu' and bandwith allocation to high.

Btw, for my dl speed, my ul/dl ratio is always close to 1.0 or >1.0 if I just leave them. I'm not leecher but I want reasonably speed.

I can do 384k up on my ADSL, so I have it set to 30kB in Utorrent.

I have my download set to 0, for max, which should be around 1.5m (196kB max)

I leave all the other settings in Utorrent to default, like:

NUMBER OF CONNECTIONS

--------------------------------

Global Maximum Number of Connections = 200

Maximum Number of Connected Peers Per Torrent = 50

Number of Upload Slots Per Torrent = 4

Use Additional Upload SLots If Upload Speed < 90% = CHECKED

QUEUE SETTINGS

---------------------

Maximum Number of Active Torrents (upload or download) = 8

Maximum Number of Active Downloads = 5

OTHER SETTINGS

---------------------

Enable Scraping = CHECKED

Pre-allocate Disk Space = UNCHECKED

Enable DHT = CHECKED

Enable DHT For New Torrents = CHECKED

dolbysnoopy, think of the math. You have 12 torrents sharing 40k upload. That makes 3 1/3k per torrent. Assuming you have 4 upload slots per torrent, your are allowing people to d/load from you at less than 1k each... you can work out for yourself what would happen if everyone acted like you, and you wonder why things are so slow these days!

Windows XP Professional x64 edition

No max. connections patch

I have a 2mbps download/300kbps upload Cable connection. Never had to do port forwarding or anything like that, it's completely open. Utorrent doesn't give me speeds anywhere near to what other clients offer.

Maybe it's time to consider developing a optimization system like BitComet's, something to detect user connection parameters and optimize the client accordingly.

Anyway, can somebody give me a few tips on how to improve my speeds? I tried all the above, but it didn't work at all. Limiting the upload speed to 23 kb/s and increasing the number of peers and seeds use to work fairly (in previous versions), but now it doesn't. I've tried different torrents. And please, don't give me that old "it's not utorrent's fault" argument. I think even ludde and vurlix have recognised the speed area needs some improvement (since this forum has been created, at least).

Just an update:

I was receiving the "NAT error", so I disabled the Windows firewall (adding utorrent as exception, adding utorrent's port and allowing "Destination Unreachable" wasn't working), and now I get "UPnP(port) OK". If I disable UPnP port mapping in Preferences I get "Network OK".

Tested using BTFAQ's NatCheck, as suggest by Firon's FAQ:

Attempting connect to: ***.*.**.*** port 32459
Pass!
Successfully connected and received client response.

My download/upload speed still sucks (with UPnP or not). Help?

/Don't bump threads. Someone will get to your problem soon enough.

dolbysnoopy, think of the math. You have 12 torrents sharing 40k upload. That makes 3 1/3k per torrent. Assuming you have 4 upload slots per torrent, your are allowing people to d/load from you at less than 1k each... you can work out for yourself what would happen if everyone acted like you, and you wonder why things are so slow these days!

Yes, it's 2-4K for each torrent. So you mean I can't dl fast and use up my dl bandwidth when I got slow ul bandwidth of adsl modem. It's the nature of adsl and that's the only service in my area for broadband. If I only dl 2-3 torrents at one time, they can share 10K each but total dl drop to 60-80K. It's like I'm using 1M/512K broadband service when I'm paying for 3M/512K.

I mean that if everyone allowed only 2-4k per torrent with, say, 4 upload slots per torrent, then we'd all be downloading at pathetic speeds. How would you feel if everyone you leached from gave only 1K to you? What sort of d/load speed do you think you'd get under those circumstances? It would be terrible. It is precisely because of folks using settings like you do that you get bad speeds, so why perpetuate the situation? If you want to see what an unselfishly seeded torrent performs like go to http://www.openoffice.org/ and d/load.

Maybe it's time to consider developing a optimization system like BitComet's, something to detect user connection parameters and optimize the client accordingly.

If by 'optimization system' you mean cheating the BitTorrent protocol specifications, then the answer is a definitive no. That's exactly what BitComet does to achieve the speeds that it it does, and as a whole, is a detriment to the entire swarm. What should be happening is a boycott of BitComet by all users to other legitimate clients such as µTorrent, official BitTorrent, BitTornado, or (if you can stand the bloat) Azureus, just to name a few. More and more trackers are banning BitComet for the cheating that it does, and I hope that those bans never get lifted. That should eventually force BitComet to amend its ways soon enough.

Archived