Upload speeds are very low

Guitarsmasher108

Hi, I just got cable the other day and I love the faster internet speeds. I did a speed test and my dl speed was about 12000kb/sec while my upload speed is about 2000kb/sec, so in the speed guide I changed the setting to xx/2MBit. My download speeds are at around 800Kb/sec while my upload wavers between 15-70kb/sec constantly. Are my dl/ul speeds correct? or are either of them low? I think that my upload should be much higher and more constant atleast, can anyone please shed some light on me? Thanks in advance!

Info:

router= Linksys WRT54G with v8 for firmware

ISP= Comcast (They dont limit P2P)

All necessary ports are forwarded on router and firewall

I have a green checkmark in uTorrent

I have Vista

If you're on the 8 megabits/sec download plan with ComCast, then you may be able to use as high as the xx/768k setting.

But the 6 megabits/sec download plan only gives 384 kilobits/sec sustained upload bandwidth, so you have to choose no higher than xx/384k for it.

The speed bursts via SpeedBoost may be higher, but you can't count on them!

They are also fouling up your speed tests!

@Guitarsmasher108

Comcast is known for throttling seeding (uploading) in certain areas. I have Comcast, and I am thankfully not throttled, although you may be throttled. In uTorrent, Press Ctrl+P and click BitTorrent in the left pane. First try setting Outgoing to "Enabled," checking "Allow incoming legacy connections," and restarting uTorrent. If that does not help, try setting Outgoing to "Enabled," unchecking "Allow incoming legacy connections," and restarting uTorrent. If that does not help, try setting to "Forced," checking "Allow incoming legacy connections," and restarting uTorrent. If that does not help, try settings Outgoing to "Forced," unchecking "Allow incoming legacy connections," and restarting uTorrent. Please let me know if this works. Thank you!

@lnairbyma

Bits are usually represented with a lowercase letter (B). Bytes are usually represented with a capital letter (B). Bytes are larger than bits. There are 8 bits in a byte. Programs (including uTorrent) measure speeds in bytes. Internet service providers (including Comcast) advertise their speeds in bits. Speed tests (including the one in Speed Guide) measure speeds in bits.

It also takes more than 8 transmission bits of bandwidth to send 1 BYTE of a file out. With really bad settings in uTorrent, it's like a 5 ton mail delivery truck to deliver 1 letter. This occurs if you allow 100's of connections at once even on low-end broadband (less than 2 megabits/sec).

ComCast disrupts BitTorrent traffic in many areas. It may drop a connection or 2...or it may almost entirely prevent seeding.

Archived