How to completely remove utorrent's icon from System Tray?

shanu_bhaiya

OS - Windows XP SP2

PROGRAM - utorrent 1.7.7

PROBLEM - How can I completely remove the icon of utorrent from the System Tray of the Task Bar, or make it invisible "completely"? So that even after starting up of the PC it starts but doesn't show up in the system tray?

TRIALS - I tried to use Resource Hacker to replace it's icon with a blank icon but it didn't work or I did some faults, please explain if you use the same method.

Where to append /HIDE, are you talking of msconfig, I can't append /HIDE there. Please be specific in the solution, I'm not an expert!

In FAQs, I don't understand %AppData%\uTorrent, if it is C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Application Data\uTorrent, then the provided method didn't work.

Now, there is a new problem! I put the /HIDE in the HKCU but after every restart of the PC, it is automatically removed. So, I tried to do the same with HKLM, but then again a string value in HKCU was automatically made for startup of utorrent without the /HIDE command. If I uncheck the automatically made new string value in HKCU in msconfig, it automatically checks in every restart of the PC.

How can I make a permanent startup of utorrent with /HIDE command?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

You could just make a completely transparent Windows icon and place it in the uTorrent Appdata folder. I did this with The Gimp, and it works perfectly. The only problem is that there is just a little blank space on the taskbar when uTorrent is open. You can disable bubble notifications to achieve even more secrecy, if you'd like. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a very simple one.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My problem is exactly like the OP's. When utorrent opens, the icon always appears in the tray even though I unselected Always show tray icon in UI Settings. What's also strange is that the icon disappears completely from my tray when I mouse over it. So utorrent is loads the icon when it starts, then unloads it but the icon's behaviour is just like a program that has had its process thread terminated prematurely and Windows doesn't remove the icon from the tray until you mouse over to refresh the tray.

I have a similar problem, except I deleted uTorrent for not having used it in a long time and I don't know how to delete the icon from my tray. It's still there for some reason and I've restarted already so that doesn't fix the problem.

Exactly how did you delete it? Because if it's still in your tray, it means it's still on your computer and running.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived