uTorrent freezing entire computer.

JuAn88

Just started having this problem, no idea what the problem could be. Computer is brand new. And utorrent was running just fine until today. Only changes that have been made, Microsoft updates, and upgrade to utorrent 1.8. Downgrading doesn't help. Anti-virus is AVG Free. But it's never been a problem either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

No CDs either. Seems like a bit too much effort just to test RAM anyway. What other problems could there be?

I believe I've discovered the problem. When I was googling earlier, I found one result with the person discovering it was their wireless card making everything freeze. Well, I was browsing the speed forums just now and tried the ISP throttle test. It started, and my entire computer froze again. So if my wireless card is doing this, what can I do about it? It's brand new as well.

Problem is, I can't seem to find a download for any drivers for it. =\ Brand is Edimax. Tried there. Device manager says "Ralink RT61" - Just can't find any drivers. Maybe I missed a website, but there doesn't appear to be anything.

Managed to find Edimax's newest drivers. Still the same problem. I know it's the wireless card though. Maybe I should go back to the old drivers? Never had a problem until it updated to the new ones.

Try the Ralink website for RT61 based drivers.

If that fails, try contacting Edimax with your problem and they may have drivers on request. If that fails, and your sure that card is coming up as a Ralink card/chipset, contact Ralink instead. They've given out Vista specific drivers before (some manufacturers use there chipset, like my "Zonet" card actually uses Ralink software).

Well, I uninstalled the drivers and everything and reinstalled the old ones. Works just fine now. Why would drivers cause such a huge problem like that? I get people trying to stop torrenting, but I doubt that could've been it. Because they could be in some deep trouble by locking up people's computers like that.

Hello i have the same problem what people above, when i start uTorrent 1.8 it works 1 minute and then the computer freezes and i must do reset to workd him again. I use Vista x64 Ultimate by uTorrent 1.7.7 i don't have this problem only 1.8 :(

... and you couldn't include the information they asked for from the people above? For the record you can find the RT61 drivers people mention @ http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=336425#p336425 ... you should be sure they are NEWER than any drivers you already have received from your adapter/mfg. When you contact them BE SURE to explain you have x64 Vista and > 4 GiB of RAM to be sure it is up-to-date. You can even include that forum topic in correspondence.

Archived