uTorrent - either "not connectable" or "no incoming connections

winterdawn

Ok

----------------------

Thanks very much for your help.

Good luck with your woman above. It may well help us all.

Probing my computer, as above, will no longer work. If it does, let us know how you did it :-)

Let me know how you fared. I'm subscribed to this post, for the moment, and will pick up any new additions.

Thanks again,

mu_user

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mu_user: The port behaviour your described suggests some software interference, hence the focus on that.
I didn't write that. If you're having some real trouble, I'm here.

GTHK was saying...

"TO mu_user:"

The port behaviour your described suggests some software interference, hence the focus on that.

He wasn't meaning to say YOU said that. :P

mu_user,

The usual suspects that cripple, trash, and wreck uTorrent are Zone Alarm firewall, Roxio, Nero (file indexer part), and probably NOD32 AV. All but Zone Alarm can be configured to not really mess with uTorrent.

You should go through your HijackThis! and/or Process Explorer logs and see if there's ANYTHING network-using that might remotely be a conflict for uTorrent. Maybe you'll discover some weird bad combo that even we are clueless about...and if that's the case, it wouldn't do any good to post your HijackThis! log anyway, since we wouldn't see the problem. :P

I'm also convinced uTorrent's settings can cause firewall-like conditions, but that's usually only briefly...not all the time.

Just to rule out settings, can you post what settings you're using as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and what speed your connection is?

@GTHK: thanks for taking the time, I havent set a static IP address. I never had, even when I first started using uTorrent 2 years ago, so I really dont know how to do that. Besides, if uTorrent worked perfectly for me before without using a static IP address, then why would it matter now? I'm confused too hehe

Do you mean this?

Upload Limit: 186

Connections (per-torrent): 100

Max active torrents: 9

Upload slots: 8

Connections (global): 750

Max active downloads: 8

It's set to whatever uTorrent thinks is best from the scroll-down for a 2Mbps connection. I don't know how it was set before on the older build with all working and no warning icons. I didn't pay attention. If the newer build calculates the same, then the settings were the same before.

The thing is, nothing has changed, except the uTorrent build. It worked fine before, as long as the port-forwarding was done and ZoneAlarm was configured to allow incoming connections on whatever port it was using. I never got the UPnP mapping to work, but that's a different issue. Now, with the same setup, these yellow and red icons have started popping up.

The icons don't seem to be accurate, though, since ZoneAlarm says it is allowing the incoming connections and uTorrent is downloading. As above, with ZoneAlarm completely out of the picture, the warning icons still appeared. The only site I've found that says the current uTorrent port is closed is http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=. GRC, etc. all show the same port open. That is different. utorrent.com's results used to be consistent with the others.

I don't have Roxio, Nero, or NOD32. Antivirus is Avira. OK, yes, that has changed, too, because it updates once a day, but it has been there longer than uTorrent and only complained when I download something via uTorrent with a virus or worm.

The problem just seems to be the icons. I don't know why they're appearing now, and there don't seem to be any real download or upload issues.

The icon is the yellow one, now. Later it will change to red or green and then maybe back to yellow without me having done anything except look at it.

I like the green icon to always be there, though. It's somehow...reassuring.

mu_user

-------------------------

Besides, if uTorrent worked perfectly for me before without using a static IP address, then why would it matter now? I'm confused too hehe

@winterdawn - If everything, including router was set at default, then DHCP probably always assigned the same 192.168.x.x address to your computer. In effect, you did have a static internal address in the sense that the same address was always assigned.

mu_user

mu_user,

You wouldn't happen to be on...Vodafone Ireland Limited by any chance?

Seems to be ADSL.

And the fastest upload speed they offered was "Up to 672 Kb" for their "up to 7.6Mb" download plan.

Since you probably have the slower plan that only goes up to 3 Mb download, then your upload is at most 384 kilobits/second.

You should be using xx/384k in Speed Guide (CTRL+G) or 384 kiloibits/second setting in the 2nd link in my signature. :P

Your alternate upload speed may work ok set a little higher than the standard one, but only by about 1-7 KiloBYTES/second higher.

Well, I'm actually with Perlico, which was recently bought out by Vodafone. I'm not sure how completely Vodafone has taken over. I have the same name servers, for example.

It's ADSL - 2Mbps down and 256Kbps up.

I thought about the asynchronous issue. I wasn't entirely sure whether it was looking for the upload or download speed. Since the format was xx/speed, I thought probably the former, but this only gives me 1 active download, so I chose the latter and set to xx/2Mbit for the quick auto-configure.

Here's the interesting bit:

An hour or so ago, I went up to xx/10Mbit. The green arrow showed up within a few seconds and remained for an hour - a recent record. I thought the problem was solved, but it's back to yellow, now.

Do you have any idea how uTorrent decides whether or not one is connectable? Is uTorrent simply waiting for an incoming connection and if it doesn't get one within a certain time, decides to put up the red exclamation mark?

I can't figure how I can go from green to red without changing anything.... :o

The files I'm downloading now are old not very popular. Only a few peers are online at a given time. They generally have more of the file than I do, so incoming connections are currently few and far between. If uTorrent is waiting for an incoming connection, it could be waiting a while...

winter: So before this it worked fine, and with a green icon? Did you pf your router as well? Was it the same router? And using an automatic IP address?

If so, that points to your PC. I'd try a static address to be sure the Linksys isn't bugging out, and if that fails post logs. Follow the static guide, being sure to use an address like 192.168.1.187, and make sure you update the Linksys pf. Also, make sure UPnP is disabled in µTorrent, I don't know if it applies to the regular firmware, but I know having a port forward and using UPnP on my router just closes the port.

Check for both your modem (and your router if you have one) at:

www.portforward.com

They have step-by-step guides for how to port forward/configure those devices.

Secondly, determine if you have any software firewalls blocking uTorrent.

Antivirus and antispyware software now likes to hide mini-firewalls in themselves.

They too need to be configured or removed.

Disabling software firewalls usually doesn't work because they are in a sense "bad" kernel hacks.

You could probably use the 256 kilobits/second settings, simply because there's some spare overhead left in the numbers. 256 kilobits/second should be able to upload at least 25-28 KiloBYTES/second but "recommended" upload speed is only 22 KiloBYTES/second...plenty low enough if you're only a little under 256 kilobits/second upload. Then again, re-looking at my chart, there's not much change between 224 and 256.

You could set downloading torrent max to 2 if you wanted...you'd just not have a spare torrent slot for seeding. Not a problem if you almost never run more than 2 torrents at once though. :)

Raising total number of active torrents greatly lowers how much you're uploading per upload slot (per person you're uploading to at once). Reduce that very far, and you're no longer a good peer or seed...and while downloading other peers would prefer to upload to others! While seeding on a large torrent with 4 MB pieces...it can take hours before you give peers a single piece to share. They can't share partial pieces, so 10 peers with 90% completed 4 MB pieces all have nothing to share. :(

Good advice about the connection etiquette! Thanks.

I download several torrents of what should be the same or a very similar file because it's hard to tell for certain which torrents will be good and fast and which won't. So, 10 active downloads might only be trying to get 2-3 files.

The modem/router is set up according to the portforward information. It has always been like that.

I also cleared out the configuration files and re-loaded the torrents to be sure to be sure.

In the end I took the easy way out and downloaded 1.8.0.11758 and then disabled the update reminder. It gives me a nice green checkmark, which is all I really wanted.

I've no idea what the problem was.

mu_user

Nothing changed in regards to connectability testing between those two builds, so if 11758 magically works, it's either a coincidence or something really was blocking 11813.

I suppose it could be the ISP, but I'm not sure why it would be intermittent.

I don't know if there was really a problem with connectivity. There was a problem with the indicators. A green checkbox shouldn't turn red for no reason, right? I can understand a yellow alert at start up turning green. I'm not sure I'd understand a green check suddenly turning yellow. I don't understand how uTorrent decides it is connected properly.

I understand that firewalls can cause problems. For some reason, people say ZA is especially bad. I've used it the whole time without trouble. As long as one remembers to update the ports, it seems fine.

In this case, it was handy having ZA running. ZA's set to log connections. There was no question that it was allowing incoming TCP and UDP over the selected port from any IP, unless the log is somehow wrong.

So, going by the ZA logs, traffic was moving in both directions. Going from the uTorrent screen, file parts were moving in both directions. Going from the indicators, one would think it wasn't connectible most of the time.

Probably just something funny with my computer, or ISP, or just coincidence.

Thanks for the help.

mu_user

@GTHK:

So before this it worked fine, and with a green icon? Did you pf your router as well? Was it the same router? And using an automatic IP address?

Yes, it worked fine. I never had any problems with the connection, it has always been a green check icon. What do you mean by "pf" ? But it was the same router and using an IP address assigned by the router, just like the way it was before. There has been an improvement though, I don't get the red icon anymore, just the yellow triangle.

I'll try to make a static IP and post the results on here as soon as possible. Thanks!! :)

Archived