Superseeding slow ?

kokoko3k

I've made a search before posting, and it seems that this problem related to superseeding is not covered.

The issue involves utorrent 1.3.2 beta and azureus 2.3.0.6 (at least, by now)

I made a torrent, uploaded it on a private tracker and waited for other peers to leech it.

Switched to superseed, the upload started, gone well for about 4MB, then it stopped.

If i made stop/start torrent it goes on another little bit.

Switched off superseeding and all has gone well.

Any clues ?

Thanks in advance

As i know, superseeding should be used when the seeder is alone.

but it can be very boring to check if leechs are >1 and manually enable superseeding

So if superseeding=true and seed=1 and leech>1 then turn it on

else turn it off

it's easy isn't ?

I think Azureus does it.

Super-seeding needs more than a few peers to work well (once you reach about 10 or so it should be good). It's also not good for fast upload speeds.

How many peers did the swarm have?

In some cases, I upload to swarms that start out with 2 or 3 peers, then gradually work up to more, reaching more than 10 only in the second half of seeding to the first new seed.

Should I keep super-seeding off in those cases ?

Kokoko3k - try and turn on logging for the "stuttering" clients and see if your problem is the same one I noticed in my post above (bad packet fragility). I am noticing that when talking to Azureus clients in Superseed mode, there is a constant tendency to disconnect them due to an apparent "bad request" for the last piece of a block.

Cheers,

Boz.

Perhaps as a feature request...

A checkbox to turn off super-seeding if seeds spotted for the torrent?

seconded :)

From Azureus' "This Funny Word...."

Superseeding: a feature that allows seeders who are the only seed in the swarm to solely seed pieces that are found nowhere else in the swarm works something like this: the superseeding client pretends not to be a seed, but pretends to be a peer with an incomplete file. Then the client shares with one peer only, usually the one with the fastest upload to others. And that peer can then share that piece with the swarm. This allows the superseeding client to maximise the efficiency of the upload by only sharing those pieces nobody else has. And because of some other things about the behaviour of superseeding, this function does not work at all well in swarms with one peer and one seed only. So it is only good when the seeder is the only seed, and there are more than 2 peers.

Good definition...

Computer Guru: Additional to the definition, my understanding is that the super seeder does not return to the first peer until he sees the previous piece that was uploaded to that peer circulating in the swarm. This has the effect of not uploading to peers who don't share. The peers with fast uploads share quicker and get the most attention. One seed and I peer, seeding stops after first piece.

Typo correction

All I know is that I've been unable to super-seed effectively with utorrent at all. I had a torrent seeding to about 9 peers, my upload is around 75kb/s, and after 8 hours all I had upped was about 300mb. When I used Azureus, I superseeded all the time with no difference whatsoever in speed (even when only seeding to 1 peer). Something is definately different with utorrent.

• 2 weeks later...

How about an 'Smart Super-Seed' sub-option. Enables when 3+ peers in swarm, turns off and reverts back to standard seed once all peices are out. Since there are ubiqutous 'rules' that should be followed when it comes to super-seeding, it's a viable option.

IE: Superseed is dumb when theres < 2 peers, and Superseed is also dumb once all peices are out.

I've also had problems with superspeed on uTorrent with low numbers of peers... I was using it with 3 peers and upload speed kept peaking around 10 kB/s and would frequently drop to 0... problem is, with superseed off the peers happily request and get whatever data they want and so you end up having to upload more data before they can complete due to the duplication so therefore its a slower torrent. This 'Smart Super-Seed' wouldn't solve the fact the client simply isn't pushing out the data as it should.

• 3 months later...

I noticed another problem: when uTorrent gives out all the pieces it stops uploading at all. As a result there are a lot of 99.9% peers just hanging there until I disable super seeding. I don't know why this happens - maybe a peer who received last piece did not share it with others. I also talked to other person who uses super-seeding with uTorrent and he said he has the same problem. I think a good sollution would be to switch off super seed automatically when availability reaches certain value.

I use uTorrent 1.5.1 beta build 460.

Archived