Search Function

XFlame

Well, I often put a bunch of Torrent in my uTorrent, so I often forgot if I have already added that torrent or not.

So, for example I want to download a new torrent named maybe.... programA.torrent, first I will search in the main window maybe the string "program", so I can conclude that I haven't download any file that is equivalent with programA.

I think maybe what I mean by search function is something like that.

Of course there can be any more use for a search function, maybe some of u will like it too ;P.

i posted that in another thread

"when will we be able to press a letter from the keyboard and highlight the first torrent in the list starting with that letter.. pressing again the second and so on.."

i think that should work (well not as fast as a search function if u have more than 100 torrents in the list)

i posted that in another thread

"when will we be able to press a letter from the keyboard and highlight the first torrent in the list starting with that letter.. pressing again the second and so on.."

i think that should work (well not as fast as a search function if u have more than 100 torrents in the list)

geee.. i miss that little thing!

Well, I often put a bunch of Torrent in my uTorrent, so I often forgot if I have already added that torrent or not.

So, for example I want to download a new torrent named maybe.... programA.torrent, first I will search in the main window maybe the string "program", so I can conclude that I haven't download any file that is equivalent with programA.

Of course there can be any more use for a search function, maybe some of u will like it too ;P.

well, if u add a torrent that was actually already loaded it will say it and ask if u want to load trackers from it only

Well' date=' I often put a bunch of Torrent in my uTorrent, so I often forgot if I have already added that torrent or not.

Of course there can be any more use for a search function, maybe some of u will like it too ;P.[/quote']

well, if u add a torrent that was actually already loaded it will say it and ask if u want to load trackers from it only

Yeah I know it will ask u if the torrent is in the list, but how if there is any other torrent file that have the same file? (maybe different people that release the torrent).

And I mention only one possibility of using the search function, I definitely think there are other useful things that u can do with the search function.

Thanks for replying!

• 1 month later...
So what we need is advanced search function that can search not only for the torrent name, but also for the files contained by the torrent, comments and other fields. I would love this feature :)

I don't know if this would be quite the same as what you were lookin for, but WinAmp did it quite well with their Jump-to-File plugin; here you would press a button (in winamp's case: J) and it would bring up a mini search window where you could type and it would search as you're typing (also similar feature in firefox's find feature).

Since the list of torrents can't be incredibly HUGE (definately less than some people's winamp playlists), you could have this realtime search without a huge burden to performance. Plus it only goes into effect when you search so it won't be bad at all.

Another idea would be to add auto-indexing of torrent files which would make searches nearly instant and would only come into effect when you add a torrent, so most of the time it also would not be a major burden.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes with a queue list like mine (100+) I would definitely want a search feature to pinpoint the exact location of my torrent so that I can change its priorty, forced download, delete etc.

It doesn't help that torrents always carry funny names from their release groups i.e. [agagd]afhabfkvbaj.avi

So how about it? A nice little search your torrent list file system (TLFS).

• 1 month later...

ok continuing from here...

to Switeck: I am talking about something else... instant searching through opened torrents in µTorrent (like apple spotlight, ms desktop search). And even if you had million torrents you would search thought them pretty fast... (because that algorithm would use only data stored in ram). Yeah thanks Firon for locking [/sarcasm off], but it was nearly forgotten and as I think this feature would give some additional value to already awesome µTorrent, and as a state-of-art client, it just needs that thing.

• 5 weeks later...
So what we need is advanced search function that can search not only for the torrent name, but also for the files contained by the torrent, comments and other fields. I would love this feature :)

Some torrents have huge number of files and I want to be able to find what I am looking for quickly. A search function to search in the "files" tab will be great!

• 4 months later...

I keep uTorrent as a inventory of my downloaded files so I keep my downloads in uTorrent until I delete them from the harddrive. And sometimes you know a word that is in the name of the torrent but it isn't the first word. Then it would be nice to just type in that word in the searchbox and every torrent that has that string in it's name shows up and the rest are hidden.

Since I never have used the searchbox it would be nice to keep it from being a "fluff feature", for me atleast..

• 3 weeks later...

Just the torrent list only. I don't think search through all files in all torrents is really necessary.

Torrent list only would be easier to implement UI-wise, also. Entering a phrase just changes the torrent list, while removing your search phrase brings back all torrents. I don't particularly like search-everything sluggish interfaces such as Spotlight. Search all files could possibly make search more sluggish and cause swapping/disk activity. Keep it simple.

Archived