New Version 1.4 Speed Issue

SanctimoniousApe

I usually have PeerGuardian open, and also have a small (about 120000 entries in utorrent) personal ipfilter, cause apparently PG blocked a few trackers for some reason, so I needed to disable it until those torrents were done.

I used Speed Wizard, changed some connections (currently have 2/2 global/download torrents running, 200 total connections and 100 per torrent), changed upload from 22 to 20, that worked a bit, gained a more steady higher speed but it's still 60 AT MOST.

Port forwarding works ok, and I haven't patched the SP2 TCP limit, though I highly doubt this is the problem. Speed doesn't go beyond 50-60kbs/s no matter how many hours it is downloading.

Well, I could live without it being in perm allow, I get multiple IP blocks when connecting to that tracker and I'm not willing to add all of them in perm allow :P

Um, from what I understand, the TCP limit limits connections at a time to 10, meaning that something will reach higher speeds slower than before, but it has to speed up eventually, right?

Um, from what I understand, the TCP limit limits connections at a time to 10, meaning that something will reach higher speeds slower than before, but it has to speed up eventually, right?

The limit is how many *unfinished* connection requests are pending at any given time. This can have a nasty effect when your browser, your 5 pop mail accounts and your BT client are all trying to open one or two TCP connections. They all have to wait for a shot at those 10 slots and that means waiting for a timeout AND fighting all the other apps waiting for those timeouts or connects too.

I patched mine to 100 because I run some other connection-intense applications - 50 should be plenty for most people. It sure smoothed-out the browser action while the BT client was busy. I upgraded to XP from windows 2K and I was horrified by the dragging-ass TCP behavior. Luckily, I found the patch and it solved the problems. :)

I concur with Firon and suggest you patch it.

Oh well, it was probably few seeds... I did use the patch, I was getting about 70+ in one well seeded torrent plus some 10-15 in another, so I guess the total is more or less ok. Although I can't say if the TCP patch was responsible, my browser IS behaving better now in terms of speed.

Archived