µTorrent causes broadband connection to break

MusicBringer

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....... Yes, thanks indeed to "Animorc", and to MusicBringer for starting the thread!

I too am using 2Mbit BlueYonder cable and had a very similar experience.

Basically, using v1.4 (having used v1.3 since it's release) of μtorrent my connection would choke and die after about an hour or so, without any user intervention (requiring that I reset the ancient, beige, Motorola SB4200 modem they've stricken me with).

Interestingly though (or not) I did once trigger the modem strangling trick by simply stopping one of the five torrents I had running at the time!

I was noticing anyway with v1.4 that my speed graph was abnormally spikey and that all speeds generally were much worse than before.

So I reverted to v1.3, but alas although the speeds were back to normal it was still periodically killing my connection.

I also noticed that although v1.3 doesn't even have that feature it was now sporting the new alternate shaded and white lines in the file list display!

Hmmmmm....... very odd!

I've been suffering BitComet and Azareus for a couple of days and have to say that I was already missing μtorrent......... badly.

BitComet is just vile and not at all "fast", as all the sheep out there seem to have been brainwashed into believing.

Yes, Azureus has some nice toys, but only because you need plenty of distraction while it takes virtually forever to download anything!

It's the bittorrent client equivalent of a Fisher-Price play centre.

Not sure what that says about it's hardcore users.

It also seems to have a greater than normal sense of "self importance" for a computer program, if that makes any sense?

Well, i've just vapourised μtorrent's data folder and i'm back afresh with v1.3, and kicking some butt!

Hopefully something can be rectified in subsequent versions of μtorrent, otherwise i'll be stuck with v1.3.......... FOREVER!!

Thanks guys!

I'm also on Blueyonder and was just about to submit a similar problem. I'll be going along fine for a few hours and then will realise that my internet connection is dead even though the monitor in my system tray is still green. If I try to repair, it will freeze and I'm then forced to restart my computer. For what it's workth, I'm using a US Robotics card with a D-Link 624 router.

I've tried lowering max number of connection settings, etc. but no luck. I also reverted back to 1.1.7 after one of the later versions (don't remember which one) was giving me some memory problems but I'll try upgrading to 1.3 and see if that helps.

........ but make sure you delete the existing *.dat files (see Animorc's post).

That's the important bit!

With WinXP they're here:

|root|:\Documents and Settings\*your identity*\Application Data\uTorrent

-----------------------------------------

Thanks "1c3d0g."

Is there a change-log for that one?

Okay..... I found it:

http://www.utorrent.com/download/beta/utorrent-1.4.1-beta-build-404.txt

I have to admit that i'm inclined to stick with trusty old v1.3 for the foreseeable future now.

It does everything I need it to, and appears to be 100% stable (again).

....... Yes, thanks indeed to "Animorc", and to MusicBringer for starting the thread!

I too am using 2Mbit BlueYonder cable and had a very similar experience.

Basically, using v1.4 (having used v1.3 since it's release) of μtorrent my connection would choke and die after about an hour or so, without any user intervention

Thanks guys!

There seems to be a few us with this issue. To me, it looks like µT is over powering the broadband cable and killing itself. A bit like shooting yerself in the foot really..!! ;)

I just wondered what might be done to deal with this persistent cutting out..?? :)

Well, the wierdest thing is that it's only µTorrent that causes this problem........ for me anyway.

I tried going back to v1.3 after clearing out the dat files and the damned thing ran for a whole night but then popped my connection the next afternoon and then again a few hours later.

I know that I used v1.3 for days without any problems before.

It's such a headf**k.

So........

I updated some drivers - network adapter etc.

Disconnected all my USB devices (I have about four permanent ones now on this machine), and shut down every service and piece of software running on XP (pro) that I could.

But µTorrent is still killing my connection.

Azureus (*spit*) and BitComet (*gag*) will run endlessly with a totally absurd number of connections, DHT on etc. all the trimmings!

I've tried them just to see.

I have to assume now that it's something specifically to do with Blueyonder's service or equipment in conjunction with µTorrent, as barmy as that seems............ what else can it possibly be?

Incidentally:

- I'm using WinXP Pro (very recently upgraded to SP2 which was a major suspect)

- No Router (used to have wireless but had problems)

- Just a Motorola SB4200 cable modem connected directly via RJ45s / Cat-5 cable to my motherboard's Intel Pro network adapter.

(Also, i'm in southwest England - just between Devon and Cornwall - On Blueyonder's "Newt" sub-domain / region).

Wonder if we could all be using the same modem perhaps, since the Blueyonder 2Mbit tie-in keeps cropping up?

Anyway, the reality is that i'll have to switch B.T. clients because I just can't resolve this problem.

You spend so long looking for the perfect program >> µTorrent << and then satan has to eventually come along and crack-one-off in your face, just when you're getting comfortable.

Typical........ just bloody typical!

Incidentally:

- I'm using WinXP Pro (very recently upgraded to SP2 which was a major suspect)

- No Router (used to have wireless but had problems)

- Just a Motorola SB4200 cable modem connected directly via RJ45s / Cat-5 cable to my motherboard's Intel Pro network adapter.

Wonder if we could all be using the same modem perhaps, since the Blueyonder 2Mbit tie-in keeps cropping up?

-ditto- :|

I'm the same as you spong, 'sept I'm on 4M Telewest Blueyonder Broadband

@Firon, hello my friend, turning off DHT makes no different. It still cuts. :(

Try patching TCPIP.sys with LvlLord's Event ID patcher

Um, sorry Firon, but I'm rather new to all this and I don't know what this means.

> I'm stuck with the modem.

It's impossible to find anything better (or even different) in the U.K.

> Haven't tried the very latest build, but having read the change-log there don't appear to be any major core changes that could make a difference.

I will try it later though........

> Thanks for the BitPump link - I've tried just about everything else, so what the hell!

> Yes, the "net.max_halfopen" on mine was up to 12 (from 8 and then 10).

I think i've fiddled with just about everything in there!

Should I try going higher than 12?

I would have though "12" was enough for anyone (i>nsert childish giggling here<)?

I had already patched my TCPIP.sys to "50" just after installing SP2.

Connection-wise, about 200 to 400 depending on the number of torrents.

Generally about 75-100 per. torrent and three to four torrents running concurrently, on a slow day!

The main thing is that I hadn't really made any changes to the way I used µTorrent when it suddenly started shutting my connection off about four days ago.

I can't imagine that it would be specific "settings" because that would have brought on the problem sooner.

I've been using µTorrent for months now in various versions!

All of which have been severely fiddled with I might add!

Just to let you know that I have been using the beta (build 405) 1.4.1. :)

This version behaves no different to µT1.4. The internet connection still chokes and dies. It's a bit like being towed in a car, and the tow-rope breaks. You are travelling along nicely when suddenly there is no pull and you're coasting. Or to put it another way. It's like the chain on yer bike snapping. You can be peddling away and moving well, then snap. Yer legs have nothing to peddle against and you are peddling in the air..!!

The cut-off can happen four times in an hour. Or go for four hours uninterrupted. It's weird and most frustrating. Sometimes the cut-off doesn't actually break, (the icon in the notif-tray doesn't go red, just blanks to dark gray) but you can see the download rate drop, drop, dropping to zero, then gradually

s l o w l y building up again. :|

However, when it works µT works well. I cannot do with learning to use another program, so I'm sticking with µT ftb :)

Archived