Maximum number of active torrents

Hi, I have read the faq, help, etc but I still don't understand what this option does.

If I have 2000 torrents and set that option to 200, will it still seed a torrent that is not "active"? (if a peer tries to download it)

I have it set it to the number of torrents i'm seeding, if I have 2000 torrents I set it to 2000+. Or I shouldn't set all my torrents active? any problem?

Cheers

With net.max_halfopen set to *50 (the * means different than default value), you've told uTorrent to continually make 50 NEW outgoing connections at once.

This is on top of any connections it already has and on top of any new INCOMING connections (if uTorrent is not firewalled) you are getting. Easily 100's of extra connection attempts every few seconds.

Eventually, uTorrent is just retrying the same ips over and over again at this rate. If they didn't "answer the phone" on the 1st call, maybe they will on the 100+ try! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for being away for some time

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies, I have set it back to 8, don't know why it was changed

But anyway if you say it's better this way... i'll do it :)

I still have some trouble understanding the active torrents...

I have 2475 total torrents, only being seeded! No downloads, and it's only from private trackers, so I really need them to be active to start uploading when someone downloads. From 2475 I can only get 2, 3 or 4 to be uploading at the same time (because people aren't always downloading).

From what I understand, it would be a problem if I had so many torrents active and there were always people downloading from many torrents, or am I wrong?

I'm just afraid of loosing upload opportunities if someone downloads a torrent and I can't upload because it isn't active, and then people will download from other seeders. Don't know if this makes any sense

Thanks again, cheers!

uTorrent is NOT well-suited for running 100's of torrents at once and certainly unsuited from running 2475 total torrents at once!

You cannot really compete with 1000's of others trying to upload to the same peer. You're just 1 connection, however fast. Since you can't "win" with any particular peer on any particular torrent, you're trying to compete on all of them...all at once! So you're seeking to make peer/seed connections on all 2475 torrents...over less than 1 hour period. (over each tracker update) Your line will resemble a borderline Denial of Service attack while doing so. That is the "game" private trackers devolve into. And it occurs because uTorrent is forced into doing something it is not suited to doing!

Your upload max is really the main upper limit to how many ACTIVE torrents you can run at once. My rule of thumb is at least 10 KiloBYTES/second upload speed PER Active torrent.

I'm not giving you a solution because I don't really have one...except to say I don't do private trackers because "That game's not winnable!"

Not to mention your question was already answered. uTorrent will "rotate" through. If 2470 torrents have no leachers or have such a high seeder:leacher ratio that your not uploading, it will move on to the next torrent and keep cycling through them all until all your active slots are being used. If ever. Setting your number of active torrents to a lower number will get you better ratios, because you will be able to dedicate more of your bandwidth to uploading those few instead of uploading very little on a larger number. "Less is more."

Like Switeck though, I've just stopped using private trackers. The cons outweigh the pros.

Archived