Custom delete function for preserving piece integrity

martix

I suggest in the pieces tab to have an option like "Skip and delete" or whatever works for you guys.

The main point being that it deletes the file, but preserves the integrity of pieces if they are shared among other files, putting redundant data from the deleted file in the usual partfiles.

Right now, you have to delete, recheck and redownload part of the files that were actually intact.

When using windows' delete you go through aforementioned procedure, which is a pain, especially if there are no seeds, which breaks files.

This one is meant to delete files without breaking them, by preserving the piece that is shared among multiple files if one of those files happens to be the one you wanna get rid of.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see that feature, too.

Just recently I had a 40GB-Torrent with many files, that I could not and did not want to download completely. Most of the time, you don't even know, which files in a torrent you would like to keep and which you don't. If you are short on disk space this feature is especially useful. I'm one of the guys who migrated from Azureus, because I didn't like how bloated Azureus was, but I really liked Azureus for having this feature and therefore I'm missing it in utorrent.

To sum up I would really like to have a delete button in the context menu, Azureus-style.

Thanks.

I'll have to admit: you've got a point there.

On the other hand I usually don't check whether a torrent is already seeded enough with a ratio of more then 1.0 when I delete it, so I think this thread http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=54351 is discussing an important feature. Some kind of visual representation would be nice.

Furthermore I'd like to comment on discouraging vs. encouraging people in order for them to do the right thing:

I know people who train dogs and they told me, that they don't discourage bad behaviour by penalties, but rather ignore bad behaviour. This means, that they actively encourage good behaviour by giving the dog treats or petting him. Maybe you should try this philosophy and see how it turns out. ;)

• 11 months later...

For example...

torrent is too large... more than size of HDD...

TV series... ~100 Episodes

Every time you delete watched series, you need to rehash all downloaded but not watched...

It's impossable to seed whole torrent. But,if you try to seed maximum of individual series, you'll need to rehash all of them every time you download new one (and delelete old)...

Archived