Question about Mainline DHT

Allied

I herd on another forum that the mainline DHT network that uTorrent uses is dependant on BitTorrent.com. Is that true?

That would mean that uTorrent, BitComet and BitSpirit are all dependant on Bram Cohen.... Scary thought.

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else. But what could I search for? DHT? I'd get a million results.

I herd on another forum that the mainline DHT network that uTorrent uses is dependant on BitTorrent.com. Is that true?

Not quite.

The code was developed based on the mainline DHT implementation, however the clients are NOT dependant on anything from bittorrent.com to join the DHT network. Bootstrap information to join DHT swarms can be included in .torrent files.

Bootstrapping = finding out ONE peer that has DHT enabled, and getting information about more DHT peers from there.

router.bittorrent.com is like a single BitTorrent peer, but it doesn't share any files. It just knows lots and lots of DHT peers and tells you about them when you ask. I'd imagine you'd be able to bootstrap off peers you just find in a regular swarm, anyway..?

Archived