Question about swarms

Jon

The way I understand it swarm is the term used to discribe total connections to a torrent. Is this correct ? It does not seem correct, because I've seen it list something like Peers: 50 of 100 (80 in swarm).

Next question on low number torrent say 25 or less and it is the only torrent thats active. How come you don't connect to all people in the ?

Is the swarm info real time ?

Does the swarm info include people connected through dht ? Are people that are paused included in this ?

I've seen where it will list Seeds 0 of 0 connected (1 in swarm). Whats going on with that ?

How come you don't connect to all people in the ?

If you aren't connecting to all the listed people in the swarm (when the swarm), it usually means you aren't reachable and they aren't either.

Is the swarm info real time ?

No. It is typically delayed one or more announce (tracker update) cycles.

Does the swarm info include people connected through dht ?

No

Are people that are paused included in this ?

No

I've seen where it will list Seeds 0 of 0 connected (1 in swarm). Whats going on with that ?

The seed is connected to others in the swarm. Even if you don't connect to the seed(s) you can still finish.

ok thats confusing, and still doesn't seem correct. Total peers and seeds, if you got all the peers and all the seeds what other connections are there ? 1 for the tracker and what else ? and in my example the swarm was smaller then the total peers, not including seeds. The fog is getting thicker.

It is kinda cool to know. :P

Swarm has never been described as total connections, it's described as the total number of peers and seeds on the same torrent.

That is the total number of peers/seeds that the tracker is aware of, right? DHT peers are arguably on the "same torrent".

ok thats confusing, and still doesn't seem correct. Total peers and seeds, if you got all the peers and all the seeds what other connections are there ?

Peers obtained through DHT. And it's not the number of connections, it's the number of peers you are aware of.

Ok maybe I've added to the confusion with the way I said it, when i say number of connections I'm referring to number of unique clients and the tracker, not the hundreds to hundreds of thousands of sub connections jumping between them.

If I understand you all correctly the swarm is a the total number of peers and seeds that are connected to the tracker, not including any that are connected throught dht. Is that correct ?

ok. If you have dht disable, but some other client has dht enabled could you see someone that connected via dht? or would the clients that connected through dht be hidden from you because you have dht disabled ? Would you be hidden from them ? And incase I didn't say that correctly here is another version if you have dht disabled, could you down/upload from to someone that is connected by dht ?

If you have DHT disabled, you can still communicate with peers with DHT enabled - through the tracker. (That is, if there happens to be peers with DHT enabled on the tracker, your client will still communicate with them.)

However, if you have it disabled, NO DHT activity occurs. So you can't communicate with someone with DHT on and no tracker connection.

When peer exchange becomes more common, it will be possible to communicate with a DHT user who is not on the tracker, if you recieve his IP from another user who is connected to him via DHT and you via the tracker. At the moment, the bridging user has to also be using µTorrent, as there is no other clients using the same peer exchange method, but the specification is open and expected to be adopted by others.

Archived