0.9.1.2 port problem

su

Hi there

Port forwarding on 0.9.1.1 was working perfectly, so I know my port is properly forwarded. I've updated nothing on my computer or router to change that.

After downloading 0.9.1.2 I now have two problems:

1. Although I have not ever ticked the 'randomize port during launch' option, every time I launch utorrent the port is being randomized.

2. When I set it to the port I have forwarded, I get the red dot and 'listen error' message.

Downloading and uploading appear to be continuing at good speeds despite this.

I'm using a Macbook Pro, 2.2 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo

OS x 10.5.6

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

yes i have discovered this happening to this morning - when i first updated to this version 0.9.1.2 a few days ago i got the port sorted and it stayed set for a few days then today as above i do not have it set to randmize - it was doing so and after shutting utorrent down several times it stayed set on a port number, that was not of my choosing and i am unable to change it. But after setting the new rule in my router for the new port number i am connectable.

I truly hope i dont have to do this every morning as it will become a pain in the neck!!!!!

Apart from this issue it is working fine - i can select files that i want to d/l only, good speeds etc - but i really dont want to have this port issue every morning after sleeping my mac

i find the port stays stable if i only shut of utorrent briefly or sleep the mac for around 5-10 mins - but if i sleep the mac or have utorrent closed for around 20 mins i need to reset the port number and i am still unable to set my own port number it settles on a number itself and that is it - but one i reset the rule in my router it is fine.

BUT it is a pain to have to do this everyday - is there some way of sorting this bug out in the next release - it stayed stable in 0.9.0.4.

OK, this is weird:

1. The port problem seems to have disappeared. For two days now, it's stayed absolutely stable (on the correct port) when I restart utorrent. The indicator is green, everything's fine. I've not changed my utorrent or computer-using behaviour in any way I can think of.

2. Instead, when I restart utorrent after restarting my computer (it doesn't appear to happen if I quit and restart utorrent without shutting my computer down in between), I get asked if I want to allow utorrent to allow incoming connections. It's already set in my firewall settings to allow incoming connections for it, and clicking 'allow' doesn't prevent it from asking again the next time.

It's only a minor irritant, but I thought you should know. If anyone knows how I can fix it, please let me know.

jewelisheaven: yes, I'm using Little Snitch. I just checked its rules, and utorrent is set to allow any connection. And Mac firewall settings are to allow incoming connections for utorrent.

I'm sorry to report that today when I launched utorrent (which was empty of any torrent activity at all) to start downloading a new torrent, it not only asked me to allow connections as usual, but had also once again randomised the port. I reset it to the correct one, and after about 5 minutes the red dot turned green (I don't think it's done that before; usually once it's red it stays red no matter what).

I can't find a pattern. I thought maybe it was randomising only if I was still in the middle of downloading a torrent when it launched, but that doesn't seem to be it, since today there was nothing downloading or seeding when I launched the program. It also doesn't seem to matter whether or not I've rebooted my Mac in between closing and opening utorrent.

Download and upload speeds continue to be good, frequently reaching the limits I've set.

I'm having the same port issues as everyone else. uTorrent starts with yellow light and goes red. Torrents downloading extremely slow. Not sure if this issue is specific to 0.9.1.2, since this is the first version of the Mac uTorrent I've tried. D-Link DGL-4300 router (latest firmware) has UPnP enabled. uTorrent 1.8.2 and 1.8.3 are working fine on PC on the same network. Mac firewall is completely disabled. Tried enabling firewall and setting uTorrent as exception. Didn't work. Firewall on router is enabled. I'm not willing to disable the router firewall. Running Mac OS 10.5.7.

The troubleshooting post did not fix it for me. However, I hacked up a solution for those of you still having this problem.

The first step is to make sure it's sticking to a single port as opposed to randomizing it at launch. To check, open the preferences, look at the port, quit the program and open it again, and check the port. If it's changed, then it's randomizing the port.

If it is randomizing the port, try checking the "Randomize Port" checkbox, restarting the program, opening preferences, unchecking the "Randomize Port" button, and then restarting again. Now it should be sticking to one port.

However, it won't let you change this port: if you try, you'll get the "Listen Error" and upon restart you'll be back to square one with either the port from before or a new one.

To fix it for good to a port of your choice, first quit out of uTorrent. Then open the following file in a texteditor (such as Textedit):

/Users/yourusernamehere/Library/Application Support/uTorrent/settings.dat

Then look for a setting that looks something like:

...0e9:bind_porti14910e30:bt.no_connect_to...

The number after "bind_port" and before the next letter ("e" in my case) is your port number. You can change it here, save the file, and then open uTorrent. So in my case, since I like port 61605, I change the string to:

0e9:bind_porti61605e30:bt.no_connect_to

Save it, open uTorrent and you're good to go.

-Andy

This is a bug.

They have to fix this somehow.

I belive this happens when you upgrade? Are there any fresh users who have this experience aswell?

utorrent support files are stored in more places than /applications/

A temporary solution for you problem is to downgrade to the 0.9.1.1

Found here: please don't link to non-supported versions of uTorrent, we don't support them — NoOneButMe

Archived