trying to make sure i have my settings right

aixenv

first off i'd like to say i went to IRC and its the typical worthless IRC.. so i should have known better than to expect mature responses... at any rate...here's my configuration, feedback please

it seems i can get speeds on 1 torrent up to 600ish kB/sec, but it can definitely fluctuate but that might be based on the # of peers, i just want to verify my settings are good:

-- so my inet speeds are showing 9966Kb/s down / 1008Kb/s up

im using a port thats >50k and its portforwarded out through my router and i have the lil green check (network ok) mark, ive toyed with setting a ssh tunnel to a work server and comparing speeds, but for now the proxy is none (speed is definitely impacted by the tunnel)

i've instead been using peer guardian2

- right now i have global upload set to 92, max download 0 , global max connections 200 , max number of peers per torrent at 60, and number of upload slots per torrent 6

- dht network disabled, dht for new torrents disabled, local peer discovery disabled and peer exchange disabled, .. protocol encryption is set to enabled right now with allow incoming legacy

-- for queuein' i have max num of active torrents at 7 , max number of act downloads at 5,

i havent adjusted any advanced settings, should i?

How do my settings look? any suggestions?

Also of note:

Im doing this over wireless from a windows VM from my linux workstation, link speed shows gbit and i ran the speed test from the VM, i obviously realize it would be faster more than likely

if i had a direct connection(wired) to my modem/router

also of note is im using a linksys 610N (has like 64meg of ram) that's been flashed with ddwrt, and i gotta say ive been happy with this router, i'm thinking my settings might be a tad lowballing it with my router hardware...agree/disagree?

I can do rsync/wget and other downloads easily 1 - 1.5meg/sec

thank you in advance for any assistance/advice/suggestions

aix

first off i'd like to say i went to IRC and its the typical worthless IRC.. so i should have known better than to expect mature responses...

The individual responsible for your impression of our irc channel has been banned.

Have you done speed tests of torrenting using torrents like those for openoffice or slackware?

The numbers are fine. You're not killing your possibilities by trying to split the 1Mbit upload too far, but do you really need 7 active? 3 and 4 instead of 5 and 7 increase your per-peer (TOTAL UL / (active torrents * upload slots)) throughput. Or you could reduce the upload slots.

Is there a difference if you dis-allow legacy connections (forcing encryption)?

DreadWingKnight: First thanks for banning the jerkoff that shows you guys are interested in having a good/useful irc channel

second, i decided to do a test on slackware torrent and its about 10% done and im doing around 1.1-1.2MB/sec

---

Switeck: I hadnt heard about charter comm filing chapter 11, that's good to know hopefully fios gets heres soon :) ; i did do a good bit of google if they throttle and from all my research the answers appears to be no they dont throttle in any way

-----

jewelisheaven: thanks for the suggestion, i did what you suggested set my #'s to 3/4 as opposed to 5/7, i also unchecked allow legacy and set encryption to force, this slackware torrent is the first test and right now, 14% done and staying pretty consistent above the 1MB/sec rate

i was thinking about adjusting these 3 settings:

"- right now i have global upload set to 92,..., global max connections 200 , max number of peers per torrent at 60,..."

Ive read a lot of ppl are keeping their upload set at 32, and perhaps i could up my global max connects and the max number of peers, thoughts?

You don't need to download the whole thing ;) It's to gauge effectiveness. With your total upload (say 93) you can have 31 slots total with a minimum throughput per peer 3 KiB/sec. That's average, to get "preferred" speeds in my experience bump that to 5-10 KiB/sec, so you'd get 9-18 slots total among all running torrents. It's really your choice. If you like alot at once, you lower per-torrent slots, if you like seeding a long time increase slots decrease # of torrents.

jewlisheaven: thanks for the reply, let me see if i understand what you're saying. so currently i have total upload of 92.. sounds to me based on your "preferred" suggestion I should set that to probably 225ish ? am i understanding you correctly?

Archived