Linux version

Carraya

First I'll like to say a big hello everyone. (yes that's right, I'm new here so make fun of me :))

Then I'll start off the usual asking questions, and it's not like I haven't searched, maybe not good enough, but if that's the case I am the one to blame, and I'll gladly accept the blame...

1) What programming language is uTorrent written in (I know the source is not available, but out of professional intereset, I'ld like to know what language it's written in)

2) Secondly I've seen that there's a plan, in regards to making a linux version of uTorrent, is that a plan currently being worked on, or is it just that a plan for the future...

3) Is there any way that people would be allowed to contribute to the comming/planned linux version, I must say, I'm very positivly surprised about uTorrents performance on Windows, since I've recently switched to it on my windows computers, and would like to see it available for my linux ones...

//Carraya

First of all, read this: http://utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_.C2.B5Torrent_be_so_small_and_so_fast.3F

Seconds, read this: http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Is_there_a_Linux_or_Mac_version.3F

Perhaps you already did, but I like pointing to the FAQ wink.png

And for the third request: I believe some other people have asked the same question, and I can't recall a clear answer has been provided, but seeing that it's developed by a single person, I would doubt that any help will be asked for :|

And btw, welcome to the forums.

I did read all of that, but it actually doesn't answer the questions I posted, I even clearly said, that I didn't want the source, just wanted to ask, since I'm sure a lot of people would want to contribute, yes I myself would be one of them, and since I've done GUIs for linux in several languages before, maybe not actual coding on the uTorrent project would be needed, but samples, help or advice of some sort...

So all in all, all three questions still stand :)

But thanks for the welcome to the forum... :D

I am also very impressed with µtorrent, and I really hope there will be a client to Linux, and there is a real miss for a good GUI memory low torrent client on Linux.

If you have the program skill Carraya, I can only urge you to join the team and make a Linux version, since I have no skill at all:(

Maybe it could be collaborative work with http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ and help rakshasa develop the torrent library his is making, which is also writing in C++, and there will be a lot of code done, so you should not start from scratch.

And on top on that make a GUI client example in pygtk???

Firon that is a very interesting idea... are you going to include a webservice in uTorrent, or is it going to use an existing one on the machine...

Both have advantages, the first one especially if you are going to use multiple OSs, the second one to keep potential bugs and to keep uTorrent at it's core value...

Carraya: you can think of it this way (if I understood correctly): µTorrent can run headless on your machine and be controllable through the CLI - or you could add the Web GUI to make it prettier. With the Web GUI, you could also control µTorrent from your main rig, regardless of where it's installed. Looks good to me. :)

Well my point was how it would run the webinterface, if it would use the OSs webservice to do so, or have it's own...

My personal preference would be the first one, since you could then make a webservice regardless of the OS (oh and some OSs haven't got one, like Win XP Home...)

It's included in the program itself, it's not external. µTorrent has to be light after all, using an external web server would take way too many resources and offer a bunch of stuff that's not needed anyway.

The code for handling and serving the interface is in µTorrent, but the actual interface (HTML, images, JS, etc) is stand-alone.

please dont make it libtorrent based. Many private trackers have banned any libtorrent based client. It seems it hammers tracker more than needed, almost DDOS in nature.

I think you are confusing libTorrent with libtorrent, I've never heard of it being banned on any trackers. Its tracker request code is in fact rather gentle.

Sorry to every one if my post gave the impression that I meant libtorrent instead of libTorrent.

I do think that to make µtorrent for linux it would be a good help to take use of libTorrent or speed up the development, for I REALLY thinks that linux needs a good feature filled GUI client.

I do not think that it should be Command Line Interface (CLI), since there are a couple of good CLI clients like rtorrent and ctorrent but discussed in this topic

I like the idea of a webservice, but does this not belong in a different topic?

Archived