'skipped' files are not really skipped...

jzimmerman2006

in a torrent download, i have set tons of files to skip, as there are thousands of files in the torrent.

however, as i have noticed before with other torrents, when i choose to skip files, their data is not downloaded. but when the download is done, in the completed folder, all of the files are still present.

i assume that for the files i 'skipped', their data is nothing more than just the allocated space. however, it sucks because i have to go through all over again, and sort out and delete the files that i did not want.

is their a way to skip files while downloading, and upon completion, make it where the skipped files are not copied over to the completed folder with all of the other valid, un-skipped files?

"Working as designed...shared pieces MUST be downloaded in order to ensure the downloaded files are correct."

I understand this, but what is happening is that the files that only have these parts, and thus not complete, are moved to the completed folder. So I must then again go through the final folder with hundreds of files, and delete the ones that, upon completion, only have parts of them downloaded. I know that some files share parts with other ones, but I don't see why if you skip a file, the program would go ahead and copy a skipped file to the completed folder, since obviously you don't want it...

"In Preferences>>General - Tick the "Append .ut to incomplete files" (as a worst case scenario, if the incomplete files are still moving you can just delete all the .ut files)"

I will try this and see if it helps.

Update: I went ahead and tried the method described above, and it did not work for me. The skipped, unneeded files were still copied over, and they had their normal extensions on them...

"I understand this, but what is happening is that the files that only have these parts, and thus not complete, are moved to the completed folder."

Of course... again working as intended... the 'completed' refers to the whole torrent, not every single file. It wouldn't make sense if µTorrent started moving individual files as soon as they are completed splitting up a single torrent over multiple locations... makes perfect sense to me.

Really the best thing is to append .ut Why this isn't enabled by default is something I actually wonder about.

After you enable .ut you need to recheck or re-add the torrent to get it to append .ut I think. Or maybe a µTorrent restart will suffice.

They aren't downloaded but they are allocated though. So yes they take drive space even though they are almost (except for the data of the overlapping pieces) empty files.

What you can do is disable "Pre-allocate all files" in the general options. This way skipped files that have no piece overlap* will not be created.

If you combine that with diskio.use_partfile in the advanced preferences it should (disclaimer: haven't tested this in years) in fact not even allocate files that have piece overlap but it will create special files in which µtorrent stores overlapping data and you should not delete these files until you unload the torrent from µtorrent. This option could save you a bit of disk space.

note: changing these settings probably doesn't affect torrents you have already loaded.

* usually files that are between two other skipped files have no overlap with downloaded pieces although with small files (relative to the piece size) overlap could encompass more then one file.

• 2 years later...

I realise that this hasn't been added to in a while, but it is related and I haven't seen a thread anywhere more up to date on what I'm referring to (although that doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't one floating around somewhere)

I am using 3.1.2 (build 26773), although it's been an issue since I upgraded to 3.1.2... I have been using utorrent problem free for a few years, until very recently. I store my torrents and downloads on an external hard drive, through a laptop. One evening, after returning the laptop to it's usual location and plugging everything in, Vista assigned a different drive letter than usual to the drive and I didn't catch it until after I started utorrent (with over 400 active torrents, many of which are, or were, complete). I've checked my settings, none of which have been changed regarding drive allocation for files, but on the torrents that have had files skipped, utorrent has now decided to add those files and allocate the drive space. Deleting those files results in an incomplete file check, stopping the torrent, and a force recheck again drops in those skipped filenames and allocates drive space. Whilst that wouldn't be much of an issue, we're talking about over 40GB's of hard drive space being allocated for files that aren't being downloaded. Interestingly, it doesn't appear to allocate hard drive space for any skipped files in a new torrent where I'm not downloading the entire torrent.

Has anyone else encountered this?

ETA:

Yes, I have tried moving the files back into the original download section (I set finished torrents to move to another folder), remove the torrent and re-open it. It checks the torrent and adds in the skipped files. What is also frustrating is that during the addition of the torrent, I have gone through the file list and told utorrent to skip the files that I don't want, resulting in a 13.1GB out of 21.3GB, however, in the torrent list, it's showing 21.3GB selected, even though the files I've asked it to skip are listed as skipped.

second ETA:

One setting I did change (today) was to append .!ut to unfinished torrents (which has allowed me, it seems, to remove skipped completed files without it throwing up an error for the torrent regarding missing files), and telling utorrent to skip the already skipped files once the torrent has been added gets it to report the correct selected filesize

1000izvineny! I live in Russia, and I understand that I could ask on the forums in Russia, but I do not want to ask and I deletantov opinion is important to professionals

I have a problem with the program torrent 3.1

I have the settings

torrent file and delete the downloaded files

but with a hard disk files are not deleted and the place is not released --- where can I find these data to a failed HDD?:cool:

I have all the easier --- torrent file is ready, I looked and then I can not delete it from your hard drive and free up space but only in the formal setting

torrent file and delete the downloaded data does not help!

how do I clean the hard drive from the torrent file? option = why delete the files and downloaded data = does not work? this to torrent files are clearly stated on the HDD space for all, and even after the removal had the opportunity to upload? why are you silent?

I run about 1600 torrents from a number of external HDDs attached to my laptop. And i just upgraded to ut 3.1.2 that is supposed to be stable. Now i accidentally shut off the external HDDs while ut was running. Now with the old stable utorrent that wasn't really a problem, because at "status" i got: "Error: Invalid download state, try resuming". I then selected the torrents and right clicked on" start" and all worked well again. Within these 1600 torrents are about 500 torrents from which i only wanted a part of the torrent, not the complete one.

Now with this new "stable" 3.1.2 i tried to do the same (resuming) but guess what happened? 3.1.2 now tries to download the files that i had marked "don't download" at 'priorities". All those files now have a priority "normal" ! That's pretty f*cked up, because i got like 500 torrents within some have thousands of files that i now have to check and change manually, what will cost me a several days to accomplish! All my torrents also have changed their date and are now dated as if they are downloaded today, so i also got no way of sorting them chronologically any more.

So i wouldn't call this ut3.1.2 stable at all!

Is there any way of fixing this?

I run about 1600 torrents from a number of external HDDs attached to my laptop. And i just upgraded to ut 3.1.2 that is supposed to be stable. Now i accidentally shut off the external HDDs while ut was running. Now with the old stable utorrent that wasn't really a problem, because at "status" i got: "Error: Invalid download state, try resuming". I then selected the torrents and right clicked on" start" and all worked well again. Within these 1600 torrents are about 500 torrents from which i only wanted a part of the torrent, not the complete one.

Now with this new "stable" 3.1.2 i tried to do the same (resuming) but guess what happened? 3.1.2 now tries to download the files that i had marked "don't download" at 'priorities". All those files now have a priority "normal" ! That's pretty f*cked up, because i got like 500 torrents within some have thousands of files that i now have to check and change manually, what will cost me a several days to accomplish! All my torrents also have changed their date and are now dated as if they are downloaded today, so i also got no way of sorting them chronologically any more.

So i wouldn't call this ut3.1.2 stable at all!

Is there any way of fixing this?

Yeah, don't run so many damned torrents at once!

PEBKAC

Wow, that must be it dude ! ... thanks a lot ... a**hole ... very helpful for a "mod"

For anyone that really wants to help:

It all worked fine before i upgraded to 3.1.2.

I've had up to 2300 torrent running about 8 Tb, np at all.

I've used utorrent from the beginning, probably 5 or 6 years now, without any problems.

So far i wished i didn't upgrade at all ...

Archived