1.1.4 HUGE MEMORY LEAK

eighto2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can confirm this. In Task Manager there is no indication whatsoever that µTorrent is causing the memory leak: mem-usage just stays ~4MB. However when µTorrent is running mem-usage increases steeply and when closing the program all memory becomes available again.

Only 3 torrents in the list, one of them just seeding.

Windows XP SP-2

512MB RAM

Only 2 Mb of RAM right now with 1.1.4 and seeding one torrent 8).

As I said, there's no indication in the task manager of µTorrent using all this memory. You can only see it because of the rapidly decreasing amount of free memory. Furthermore, it could have something to do with disk writing, so if you're only seeding, it would be quite obvious you wouldn't see any mem-issues.

Oh, I fiddled around some with the buffer/delay settings, but since this all started, they're back to 500kB/500ms. Restarted µTorrent a couple of times, I'm really sure it causes these leaks.

The only two program that might interfere or something would be PeerGuardian and avast!, however I have never had problems with BitComet & PeerGuardian, or ABC & PG. Furthermore I closed all programs and there was no indication of large memory usage in any of the processes in task manager.

One torrent is finished now and seeding only: memory usage decreased drastically but still is increasing in time quite rapidly and when closing µTorrent memory is freed up again.

[edit]

PeerGuardian closed now, avast! on-access scanner disabled, restarted µTorrent, still the same.

Confirmed, uTorrent is using over 300mb of physical memory here (with a reported 4mb in task manager).

Resources can be used without showing up in task manager, check for yourself, it's undoubtely uTorrent that's causing it.

How to check

Start uTorrent, start a couple of torrents.

Open task manager select "Performance" tab. Keep an eye in the top right box ("Physical Memory"), watch how Available keeps getting lower, and lower, and lower, close uTorrent and a second later you have everything back.

I haven't had any major problems either, while the interface was open I peaked at about 13MB of ram - I assume that's normal. When minimized to the tray I had no problems, using about 2-4MB max.

That's not what I meant, however 13MB is quite a lot, but then again I only have had ~3 torrents at once in the program, that could make the difference. Now this is exactly what I mean:

How to check

Start uTorrent, start a couple of torrents.

Open task manager select "Performance" tab. Keep an eye in the top right box ("Physical Memory"), watch how Available keeps getting lower, and lower, and lower, close uTorrent and a second later you have everything back.

One would think you could flush that cache from time to time ;)
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Sync.html

Without running a command line tool every 10minutes...

I mean, if even Photohshop can work with 200mb files for hours, uTorrent should be able to to the same. Actually never seen this behaviour ever before in any software :)

Edit:

Haha, just got the weirdest error ever, "Disk overloaded"... With an amazing 180kb/s... Something's very wrong with 1.1.4

utorrent running for two days, seeding now 8 torrents and memory usage is about 5 megabytes. no memory problems for two days. runs smoothly with peerguradian 2 and nod32. no leaks.

windows xp pro sp1, no additional updates from microsoft.

As long as you don't look at the task manager report for uTorrent, that's useless info, it's the overall physical memory usage we're talking about.

Archived