1.1.4 HUGE MEMORY LEAK

eighto2

What you experience is Windows's file cache. Windows uses the free RAM for caching files. It's outside of uTorrent's control. When you stop a torrent, uTorrent closes all file handles, and that might explain if the file cache goes down.

/Ludde

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What you experience is Windows's file cache. Windows uses the free RAM for caching files. It's outside of uTorrent's control. When you stop a torrent, uTorrent closes all file handles, and that might explain if the file cache goes down.

/Ludde

It's however strange this is the first time in 12years or so using Windows I've seen this behaviour this excessive.

uTorrent never closes the file handles while you are downloading. That might be why Windows caches the files more aggressively. I've added an option to close the file handles every minute in uTorrent 1.1.5, maybe that helps for you.

/Ludde

If it ends up working (don't write code for win32 anymore, not that familiar with winxp's caching methods), then I and many appreciate it. :)

Questino about this - are all clients affected on XP?

I noticed this morning that after running for about 8 hours, my system had 180Mb of free RAM and my System Cache was well over 540Mb. As soon as I stopped uTorrent, the free RAM jumped back to 480 Mb, but my System Cache (as listed in Task Manager) stayed at 540Mb...

So what? 480Mb of Free RAM, 540Mb of System Cache - I've only got 768Mb of RAM - so the system cache size reported isn't entirely accurate, and I'm fairly certain the system cache is where the memory is going - at least on MY pc. :-)

Closing the file handles every minute should knock this "problem" on the head...

With 6 torrents active I stopped them all and got a 120meg boost to my available mem. I then exited utorrent and had a minescule change. So in my case it would seem that just stopping the download did the trick. Although the system cash number did not change leading me to think it was BS since I had a total well over my real physical total if you add them up.

I am running fully patched XP pro.

-drjones

Can someone tell me if stopping the torrent has the same effect at stopping utorrent (i.e. does the mem usage go down)

I might have been a bit unclear about this in my previous posts, sorry about that, but yes, stoping torrents have the exact same effect as closing uTorrent.

Did you even read the thead ? we already know its not a 'leak', But the way windows caches files open in utorrent.

By your logic, then every single Torrent program out there should have the same bug. But only uTorrent has it. It's a leak since they should've taken steps to prevent that from happening. Not that it matters now, apparently 1.1.5 has a fix for it.

A memory leak is the failure to release memory used, as in this case when a torrent is active for a long time the memory used for caching is still taking up space after it's needed.

But since the problem is solved I don't see this as a problem any more :)

The memory is not wasted. Windows is just using it for the file cache.

If there is any program that needs the memory Windows will let that program have it.

With a performance hit as a result :) There's a reason you never should let Windows manage your memory more than absolutely necessary ;)

Archived