Add notes to torrent

urosmilos

Its not a rare occasion for me to need to associate some note/comment with a torrent. Usually some instructions on how to make use of files that are in a torrent (like password for archives). But some times even just to note what that torrent is about and why am I downloading it in the first place.

AFAICT there is no way to do that in uTorrent right now. Or did I miss it?

This could be implemented as a simple text box (like the one for trackers) in Torrent Properties dialog. If notes can't be stored in torrent file it self, I guess it wouldn't cause too much problems for users if notes were stored in file with same name as torrent file but with some custom extension, like .utnote or .utn. It would probably also be a good idea to put a note next to that text box so users know that notes will be saved in separate file. If that is the case, of course.

Would anyone else find this feature useful?

Storing the note in the torrent will modify the torrent and if you re-distribute the torrent, I think, the hash will change and it will appear as a new .torrent in torrent sites.

Maybe another file can be created as you said, but I think I woun't be using this feature that much. But is a nice feature.

i always create a 'notes.txt' for every torrent listing the url i got it from and basic info about what it is. If the torrent is a folder, i just put it in the folder and then the 'move files upon completion' option moves it too

however if it is just a single file, say 'superduperfile.rar' i will create 'superduperfile.rar - notes.txt'. Upon completion the main file gets moved, but my notes get left behind so i have to go back and manually get it

the idea of entering notes straight into the 'add torrent' dialog is appealing, but i don't want them stored in µTorrent, i want to be able to access them straight from explorer. How this would work . . . I'm not sure.

It could create a 'notes.txt' using my naming scheme, and then automatically know to include it in any moves, but that seems a little too tailored to my specific way of doing things, don't know how useful that would be for other people.

> well... knowing where it is gonna move the file/files to, u could create note.txt file in that folder instead of the downloading one.

well i could, but then i would have to start in different places depending on if it is folder or not, plus i still need to go there to copy the filename and often i need to reference it before it finishes, so it is nice for it to be right there, but not a big deal either way

• 1 month later...
I really think this is a stupid idea.

Honestly, why would you need to remember why you are downloading a torrent in the first place? How much crap do you actually download?

i love such 'holier than thou' attitudes

just because you don't need it doesn't mean it's stupid

lots of times there are important usage notes or comments that need to be saved with the files. If you only download music or movies, agreed, you probably wouldn't have as much use. If you download books and apps a lot, well it could be very handy.

and as an aside on the locked 'Save tracker's Torrent Description to a text file..' topic:

you could save the torrent comments.

while not as helpful while still in µTorrent, it makes sure the info doesn't get lost after it is removed from the list

I really think this is a stupid idea.

Honestly, why would you need to remember why you are downloading a torrent in the first place? How much crap do you actually download?

well, is not that stupid, i mean, if u are downloading a torrent that needs a password u probably go back to the site u are downloading it from to see the password right? but what if the tracker/site went down but u download from DHT and the only way to open the file is with that password? u would be so thanking god u added the password to the torrent comments :P

Archived