uTorrent 2.0 (Build 17920) - Unresponsive in Taskbar

Insomniaque

I'm having all the same problems as these guys, including the utorrent 2.1 not opening at all though if i enabled webui i could access that...

http://www.mediafire.com/?y1wej3fndjy

Edit: Potential fix for now = download the alpha =D but not the one advertised in the announcements thread but the falcon beta client

http://download.utorrent.com/falcon/utorrent-falcon-latest.exe

Working for me and no crashes so far

2Firon: I posted the concrete addresses where it hangs... it shouldn't be so difficult to find why this loop becomes endless....

2cheets: yes, blocking of that port with a firewall solved the hangup problem. I enabled WebUI, set it to the separate port and blocked it. All works ok for three days

i need help im not the best at al this high tech stuff but i did manage to make a dump file and a hijackthis file. but my computer wont open the utorrent dump file? and i cant get either filer to upload to the mediafire.com place.... somebody help please i just want to be able to use my utorrent again like before.

Hmm, it must have been version 2.0.1 Beta (build 18284). I installed the 2.0.1 beta late last week I believe so I guess 18408 was probably not released at that time. The dump file I linked there was from 2.0.1. Is it possible to get the version number from that? I am not at home at the moment so I can't tell what version of the beta I had installed.

I have one report of very strenge problem on win7x86 ultimate platform app wont shutdown utorrent process without any knowing reason guy told me that he couldn't kill utorrent process from task manager and that he have to restart computer in order to start app again.

I have a similar problem, using uTorrent 2.0 build 18488. UT seems to lock up at random, but Windows does not detect a crash and UT just stays frozen until I kill it in task manager. Running Win7 Ultimate x64 fresh clean install (only a few days old) with pretty much every setting in Windows still set to default.

In UT, WebUI is disabled and has never been enabled - I do not use this feature.

This only seems to happen when downloading really large torrents (more than a couple of gig), and only when UT is minimized to the taskbar (which is where it spends 99% of its life anyway though). It has happened twice now, and so far only when I've been away from my PC.

I thought it might be caused by my cache settings in UT, this is what they look like right now:

ut.png

The reason why I have such a huge 2gig cache is firstly because I have plenty of RAM, and secondly because I'm downloading to an 8 x HD RAID6 array and my PC has custom power management settings which spin down the HD's if they are not being used, so I like to have a massive RAM cache to keep them spun down as much as possible.

I'm also aware that 32-bit apps (like UT is) are only supposed to have a 2GB VMEM address space, unless the /3GB switch is enabled or the app supports Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) like SQL server does. And I suspect this could be the cause of the problem, so I've temporarily reduced it to 1.5GB to see if this makes a difference. Does anyone know if UT is using AWE (or any other) API's to access more than 2GB of memory? I suspect not, then the textbox should have an upper limit of what you can out in there...

PS. Despite this I love UT, thanks for your hard work developing it :)

Thank you for that prompt and very helpful reply. From your answer, clearly this was the cause of my problem and I will make sure the cache is set lower than 2GB from now on. I was going to ask what you thought the maximum "safe" limit was, but then I realised you have indirectly answered this too - the process memory cannot exceed 2GB and that includes both cache and program memory together. So I can probably find a reasonably safe upper limit myself using process explorer and a few days of testing to measure program memory with the cache turned off.

Ideally there should be a simple check on this textbox to prevent users entering in values above eg. 1.8GB (pending a 64-bit version), but I realise this is hardly a critical development priority for UT ;)

Many thanks for clarifying this.

Archived