Upgrade to 2.0.1 kills speed

samthing

And why not?

If people are having trouble with v2.0.1 killing their speeds, isn't that at least a worthy troubleshooting step?

aidyn66, you may not have 2 mbit/sec sustained upload bandwidth. ComCast has SpeedBoost which only briefly gives high(er) speeds.

This is to the Dev of UT....

So you guys expect folk to use 70/80% of their upload speed to gain full download speed in this new updated version... and if they downgrade to the previous version that WORKS as it SHOULD!! revokes support from you.. LOL!!

Simples.. People will just move way from UT to a different app that works as IT SHOULD!! with support! You guys (Dev's) think you're bigger than your user base... You aren't anything without a user base..

I ain't upgrading.. I couldn't careless about support, there's plenty of torrent clients out there to use. After all they all do the same thing... (well not uTorrent's latest update = fail)

I had the same issue with 2.0.1. Downloads went from 800kb to 100-200kb. Once I downgraded to 2.0 I maxed out my connection with the exact same torrents. I love Utorrent but 2.0.1 was a step in the wrong direction as far as speed goes. I just hope this problem can be fixed in the next release, would hate to be forced to change clients because of this.

What a retrograde step.

I just increased my plan at great expense (nothing is unlimited in Australia) and I don't want to waste the increased download capacity by increasing my uploads. My new plan counts uploads/downloads the same - which means I pay for it.

I reverted to 2.0 because the speed of 2.01 was unusable!

Any suggestions for another client? This one is no longer viable?

UTorrent 2.0.1 sucks, no where does it explain in the help menu what an overhead is, were just taken to know what that is. The forum doesn't explain it either.. I THINK... and only by guessing since it says it no where, that overhead means the more you seed the faster you can download, if so its bye to UTorrent, i pay for my uploads there is not a chance in hell im paying to upload as much as it seems is required by peoples posts, ill reach my cap with only a couple of torrent downloads a month.

Does anyone know of any other bit torrent clients that used to be how UTorrent were?

they are explained it in the help file/manuals. Try and read a bit here.

It has nothing to do with correlating upload to download. It's just the natural communication behavior. You just might have to set your UL limit a bit higher.

Culd't find 2.0, (the link here in announcements - 2.0 points to 2.0.1)

I'm not going to mess with advanced settings, so I downgraded to 1.85, speed is now fine. I have little upload, but uTorrente is always on, making things even. I will enable upgrades or look in this website for next version, hope 1.85 will go fine till then. Thanks to developeres for their work, things like this happens, I´m sure that was not intended a general speed download. (but please, correct that soon!).

Geminix: go to downloads.com... then search for utorrent. I did so as a test because my D/L speed kept fluctuating constantly between 100 and 300 kB/s. After downgrading to 2.0 my download speed seems to be stuck on one number... 1.1 MB/s... go figure.

The main question in my mind is: Why change the way overhead is handled? Were people paying for excess uploading and wondering where the uploaded bits were coming from? I can't think of any other reason for making such a change to uTorrent.

EDIT: Ok... I looked at other threads... upgraded to 2.0.1 and then I opened and ran the tests in the Setup Guide and accepted the suggested values... now I am downloading at the previous speeds. My upload speeds are faster then I've ever allowed them to be... let's see how the rest of my network fares.

EmGee:

... go figure.

...opened and ran the tests in the Setup Guide..

now I am downloading at the previous speeds. My upload speeds are faster then I've ever allowed them to be...

Exactly - just a simple setup adjustment is required... my previous tips link could have helped...

Why change the way overhead is handled?

Yes, some people DO pay for that ... Lots of other reasons reasons too:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=480030#p480030

Hi, I registered after speed dropped with 2.0.1 ;)

While I totally understand the need for measuring overhead, I do think the latest version generates more overhead. It says half my max upload bandwidth is overhead.

But I always capped my upload to half, otherwise I wasn't able to browse properly. So have I been sharing overhead for years?

I tried your tweaks but nothing actually changed for me (after relaunch too). Reverted back to 1.8.5 for now.

Heres my scenario. I began a torrent on utorrent 2.0.1. The file was 600mbs big, and it was telling me it would be complete in 6 hours (!). So I left it. I checked back 4 hours later and it had done about 60% with 3 hours till completion. I thought, fack this lets downgrade back to utorrent 2.0 (mid download). It now says it is 8 MINUTES till completion. Beautiful. But this makes me think I would have got my file hours ago. Why would I upgrade?? :/

I installed version 2.01 yesterday, and now removed it again !!

I was downloading 6 torrents...average speed was around 9mb/s..

wanted to get a torrent at a site that ONLY allows the latest version. so i paused downloads...updated and restarted everything.

Total speed would not go above 2,5mb/s. waited about 5 min... removed utorrent 2.01 and replaced it with version 1.8.4 just to try and my download went immediately to around 11mb/s (with that extra torrent).

Settings were the same ... didn't change anything. Not sure about the overhead thing, because i have a dedicated fiber connection 100/10mbit connection that has never been affected with the upload speed... meaning even if i am uploading at 1.2mb/s i can still surf and download at 10mb/s with no problems.

So then what's the best way to find my optimal upload settings to avoid my overhead choking the line? If I just lower my upload speed, will that work, or will my download speed suffer as a result?

Test your upload speed either using speedtest.net or just by slowly raising/lowering upload speed max limit in uTorrent (for at least 2 minutes at a time). Once you find its highest stable value, lower it at least 5 KB/sec to handle spikes.

You should be able to upload smoothly very close to your set limit (minus overheads that is).

zeozaza, try this link:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=74820

Just wanted to inform you that i too had a maximum of ~350kB/s download speed after upgrading to 2.0.1. Took your advice and disabled net.calc_overhead, it didn't help at first, but after restarting utorrent everything went back to normal. Download speeds are back to ~1,7MB/s, as it was in 2.0 and how it should be.

:)

Yea, realized just now what that setting does, and raised my upload to ~80% of my lines upload capacity (or rather disabled "use alternate upload rate when not downloading" and using that value globally). Anyways, now everything is working very well with net.calc_overhead enabled, maybe even better than in 2.0. Cheers!

Test your upload speed either using speedtest.net or just by slowly raising/lowering upload speed max limit in uTorrent (for at least 2 minutes at a time). Once you find its highest stable value, lower it at least 5 KB/sec to handle spikes.

You should be able to upload smoothly very close to your set limit (minus overheads that is).

So, I did that, and to avoid network choking, I had to keep my upload set to 110kb/s. Problem is, at that upload limit, my download speed drops to around 20kb/s, if I'm lucky. My upload also drops off to nil, even though the limit is set to 110. Any ideas as to why that might be?

aidyn66,

Disable uTP (Preferences, Bittorrent -- disable Bandwidth Management) -- since its "Bandwidth Management" may be failing terribly in its speed estimates and falling at/to 0.

I'm also on ComCast, with a 6/1 speed tier, and can manage 120-125 KB/sec upload speed on v2.0.1.

OMG. You people.

You're looking at this like it's a software bug. All the tweaks, work-arounds, check/unchecking in the world will not get 2.0.1 final to work like 2.0.

You're going to need to face the realization that 2.0.1 final was INTENTIONALLY designed to force everyone to remove your limits in upload (In preferences, the Bandwidth option). While I can see why the authors would want to mandate a maximum sharing environment, I don't agree with it.

I keep mine down, for a specific reason, so when I got auto-updated to 2.0.1, i was able to incrementally increase my upload speed until I figured out the pattern to get maximum download speeds.

The ONE-TRUE-FIX for maximum download speed - Use your Windows Restore to revert your operating system to any point before the update. That will resolve the problem.

OR, use Google to find one of a few hundred sites that archives previous versions of uTorrent. ANY build in 2.0 will work fine.

Yes, now, the download overhead spead (acks) is counted against your UL speed limit, but it's under your control (user setting), so no one is FORCING you to do anything.

And, yes, it is new as (recommended) default setting in 2.01. Look at it this way:

Pros:

- it is the TRUE speed/payload.

- people pay for it sometimes, so they better see/measure/limit it

- users with low upload bandwidth will be less likely to reach their ISP upload cap, and will have less issues with surfing the Internet concurrently

- and yes, it's in the anti-leach spirit too (but not *forcing* it), so it's good for the community in general. Thus, it's good for you too - you'll have more speedy seeders available... :P

Cons:

- it does limit you in having a limited seeding speed and large DL speed (less than ~1:20 in TCP 1:6 in uTP) at the same time.

So I can count many more pros than cons !

The problem is that this was changed at the same release that uses uTP as default too. Since uTP proved to have a VERY HIGH overhead, it causes MORE issues :( . So we can see two groups of users having issues:

- 2.0 users, that already adjusted to the larger uTP overhead, and that did choose to limit their upload considerably - have to increase them

- pre-2.0, mostly 1.8.5 users - are now having to adjust to both the larger uTP overhead + the calc_overhead new default.

The real issue is - will the devs be wise enough to recognize it, and work on reducing the uTP overhead in the next release.

For now, you have some more helpful tips for this - over here :)

Archived