no firewalls active - still no portforwarding???

peterwe

Well,

I'm not sure what happened. I setup my router and firewall correctly many months ago and got a confirm on portforwarding. Now I checked - according to the Bittorrent tests that you run in the setup guide - there is no portforwarding. I have the portchecker program as well and it cannot connect to the server for some reason so I can't double check that way.

I logged into my router - ATT 2701HG-B and used the DMZ plus mode to allow access to all programs.

Then I exited out of my firewall all together (TrendMicro)

Then I tried the portforward test again - and it still says no portforwarding. I'm at a loss. Whats going on?

Thanks

Peter

Modem and Router - here are the specs: Thanks for quick reply !!!! I am struggling with speed issues but trying to take on one issue at a time to resolve.

Manufacturer: 2wire

Product MPN

MPN 2701HG-B

Key Features

Router Functionalities DSL Modem • Firewall • Voice over IP Gateway (VoIP)

Connectivity Wireless

WLAN Standards IEEE 802.11b • IEEE 802.11g

Interfaces

Built-In 4-port Built-In Switch

LAN Interfaces 10/100 Base-T

WAN Interfaces 1 x RJ-11 for ADSL • 1 x RJ-45 for ADSL

Standards and Protocols

LAN Standards IEEE 802.11b 2.4 Ghz 11 Mbs Wi-Fi • IEEE 802.11g

Wireless

802.11b Data Rates 11 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps, 1 Mbps

802.11g Data Rates 54 Mbps, 48 Mbps, 36 Mbps, 24 Mbps, 28 Mbps, 12 Mbps, 9 Mbps, 6 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps, 1 Mbps

Modulation OFDM • CCK • QPSK • BPSK • DBPSK • DQPSK • 16QAM • 64QAM • DSSS

Security WEP • 802.1x

WEP Encryption Length 40 bit (=64 bit) • 128 bit

Other Features

LED Indicators Status

Dimensions

Width 7.6 in.

Depth 6.4 in.

Height 1.3 in.

Weight 1.4 lb.

Miscellaneous

UPC 764964410489

How about your firewall on your computer?Delete UTorrent in your computer firewall exceptions and then if you have upnp enabled , reconnect to UTorrent and see if that helps.If you dont have UPNP enabled for your computer you'll have to add UTorrent yourself as an exception. If your router has enable UPNP just enable it and it will fix your firewall problem on your router. If you don't have it, just use Port Forwarding, you don't need to use the DMZ and such for this. Try port forwarding first, then, try Port Range Forwarding...If 1 or both of these are enabled you will have passage through your router.

Allright,

I am now in a new mode of complete frustration with this issue. I have followed the advice on Portforwarding.com PRECISELY. But according to AT&T and the router manufacturer I cannot set a static IP address through Internet Protocol Version 4 as is suggesting at the portforwarding.com website. Instead they insist the only way to get a static ip address is to pay for it through them.

So in summary, my download speeds - while occassionally better (110kb/s and better) are bouncing all over the place. Why? I don't know all I do know is that if I run Portchecker.com sequentially a bunch of times SOMETIMES it says the port is open, then SOMETIMES it says the port is unavailable or unreachable, then SOMETIMES it says it cannot reach the portforward.com servers !!!

So that explains why my download rates are bouncing all over the place. But I'm no closer to fixing the problem. Aaaggh!

But according to AT&T and the router manufacturer I cannot set a static IP address through Internet Protocol Version 4 as is suggesting at the portforwarding.com website

portfoward.com isn't telling you to give the static IP to the public side of the modem, it's telling you to give the static IP to your computer.

Both AT&T and 2Wire are bullshitting you on this.

Before I begin, 2wire/AT&T default wireless security sucks. 40-bit WEP key and it looks like they skip a good chunk of the possible combination's by not using numbers A to F in the code. I bet if that were incorporated into aircrack-ng you could break the key in 40 seconds, instead of 60 :P

Static IP on your computer might not be necessary, but worth a shot, just keep it out of the routers DHCP range. What DWK says is correct. Did you disable UPnP and try a manual forward? UPnP can cause all sorts of oddities with crap routers. That router I'm sure is the same one I've used in Illinois, it's garbage. I was getting random packet loss with the crap. I think things were a little better when I used ultra conservative settings.

Under Local Network you should be able to set your system to always receive the same address (static) as opposed to getting the first available address from the dhcp pool.

Once you've done that then use the firewall section to forward your uTorrent configured port to the static address you just selected.

Archived