Watched Folder + dropbox Combo does not work with magnet links...

hquant

Currently I am using dropbox as my watched folder from which utorrent autmatically fetches torrent files. The process is extremely simple and works from everywhere: right mouseklick on Torrent-Symbol, save Link, select dropbox directory, save, finished.

Since I cannot save magnet links, I am looking for a solution that still works, even after TPB abandons torrent files switching to magnet links exclusively in March.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I also have this same issue and would very much like to find a solution. Using the utorrent web interface or RDP to the box that has uTorrent running is not always an option. Before I could use my phone or any device to drop items into my dropbox folder and have utorrent at home have the file download long before I was home. Now I don't see how we can do this.

• 3 weeks later...

This seems like an interesting solution, but I can't seem to get it to work yet. In Windows 8 CP, I had to go to regedit to change the string at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\shell\open\command\" to "...\Documents\My Dropbox\Torrent Files\Magnet.bat" in order to change the association of magnet files from my torrent client to the new file. I think this is what you meant by

On the remote computers point the magnet link on the magnet.bat file
. But the batch program doesn't paste the link into the rss file like I expected, so the client finds nothing to download. Any suggestions?

Apologies i posted right after my first successful test.

Only tested the .bat file on win 7 32 bit netbook

After clicking on a magnet link the magnet_rss.xhtml should look like

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?><!DOCTYPE torrent PUBLIC "-//bitTorrent//DTD torrent 0.1//EN" "http://xmlns.ezrss.it/0.1/dtd/"><rss version="2.0" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"><channel><title>magnet_rss</title><item><title><![CDATA[magnet-20193]]></title><link>magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8ac3731ad4b039c05393b5404afa6e7397810b41</link></item> 

In utorent the Feed URL: should look something like this

file:///C:/Users/Odin/Dropbox/tor/magnet_rss.xhtml

not

C:\Users\Odin\Dropbox\tor\magnet_rss.xhtml

To get the odd URL: open magnet_rss.xhtml in Firefox

utoret will only look at magnet_rss.xhtml every 15 min by default

you can right click Update Feed for testing or change to 5min

Options > Prefaces > Advanced > rss.update_interval

• 3 weeks later...

I think i've came up with an easier solution, since saving a Magnet Link is not possible to my knowledge.

In the computer a user is using for browsing, got to have utorrent installed.

So these are the steps:

1. Install utorrent in the PC you use for browsing.

2. Associate magnet links in your web browser with utorrent.

2. When browsing and find a magnet link u r interested in, just click on it. This should open up this magnet link in the utorrent program, and start downloading.

3. Just give it 4-5 seconds to build up the file names and folders the magnet has to build, and then right click on the magnet inside the utorrent program and choose:

"Remove and Delete Data".

That will leave you with a file in your utorrent's download folder with the name of the magnet link and a .torrent extension.

4. Copy / move this file to the folder of the other computer that utorrent uses to automatically load the the files from there.

Voila !!!

I think its much easier and more flexible, plus its much more fail safe since the whole process doesn't interfere with any other programs or settings.

Friendly.

• 1 year later...
Has anyone found/developed a better/simpler way of adding magnet files to the watched folder yet?

There ISN'T one, "auto load" REQUIRES a file that contains the meta data to be placed in the directory.

If you use Firefox as your browser there is an extension called Magrent that can generate or find a .torrent file from the magnet URN

I was hoping something had happened in the year and a half since this was last discussed.

The Magrent extension is pretty useless. as instead of actually generating a .torrent file, all it does is search through a few archives to see if any of them has a .torrent file that matches the hash of the magnet. In other words: this is just as good as google, and incompatible with new torrents.

Both of those site are exactly the same as the Magrent extension for firefox:

They don't actually convert .magnet to .torrent files, but only does a search through different torrentcache sites for .torrent files that matches the .magnet hash.

Meaning they are both useless.

So as I keep on saying ... Enlighten me.

I'm more than happy to be shown why and where I am wrong, because it means that I have learned something. Being proved wrong or inaccurate is no big deal, and I will say thank you for the information. Being told one is wrong WITHOUT clarification of why is of no use to anyone, least of all to the person who is wrong.

So as I keep on saying ... Enlighten me.

Being told one is wrong WITHOUT clarification of why is of no use to anyone, least of all to the person who is wrong.

But posting the same useless and counterproductive statement over and over again is of great use to everyone?

Archived