A compressed .torrent format

CobraSA

Hello,

Nowadays torrents have more and more files, which results in bigger and bigger .torrent file du to the storage of all filenames and hashes in the file. I have tried making a torrent with about 20000 files and that resulted in a big assed .torrent file obviously. Problem, 99% of sites where you upload torrent files don't accept a file size bigger than 1Meg. This is most likely due to the default setting of the server php.ini than nobody knows how to use. Using a simple zip compressing routing on the fly while generating the torrent file would make it 10 times smaller. So could you please consider making a new .torrent file format zipped on the fly, that the client could still read?

I LOL'd..

You may as well go ask every tracker dev to upgrade their software to accept these new fangled zipped/compressed torrents as well.. While you are at it, create a BEP and submit it so it can be a standard.

IFar

There would be no need to ask anything to the trackers if the client supported that format. The files would still have the .torrent extension and would be decompressed in the client. It is requesting support for files bigger than 1Meg that would require asking every tracker.

Honestly that's something trivial that I could code with my feet. I am not asking something impossible and it's something that would benefit everyone. The only downside is that at first not all clients would support that format, but I am sure that if a couple of the most popular clients used that format, then it would be used in trackers and all the other clients would add support for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived