uTorrent eats all available RAM, then computer slows down to a crawl

Naki

Your screen shot of processes shows that FireFox is the memory hog ( no surprises there then)' date=' uTorrent is only using a couple of MB over the default cache size of 32MB (32768kB)

35604KB == 34.76MB[/quote']

I think we have a miscommunication issue here. The process of uTorrent itself does NOT eat the RAM, it is the Windows disk/file cache that does it, but that is directly caused by uTorrent. Even when only seeding and not downloading ANY torrents.

thanks

you formulate it correctly :)

uTorrent AND several other clients are the CATALYST that shows up the Windows memory managment problems

For me it happens a bit slower, because I have more RAM - had 16 GBs, now have 32 GBs.

AND the more memory you give to Windows to use the WORSE it becomes.

Windows 2000 screwed up with more than 256 MB installed

Windows XP would SLOW DOWN with more than 756MB to manage

The memory handling in Windows has ALWAYS been little better than abysmal, there was quite a thriving sub-industry for writing third party memory managers for Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 to improve the situation.

Here is what I would do if I were you (elmoinstyle/Naki):

1. Try go for the latest uT version (now - 3.3.1 29719). They did fix a few things there

2. 32M is too small a cache. 3.3.1 fixed this default (128 minimum).

3. If you like - try with my settings (@my sig).

One question, tho: I am not using x64 OS, but on my x86 - in the performance/memory task-manager tab - cache+available = "Total". On yours - it wasn't so. Is that correct?

ciaobaby, NO. The ONLY program that causes memory issues on my system is uTorrent.

And I have lots of programs.

What other torrent clients? Please name some!

And no, on my WinXP systems, using modern web sites requires at least 1 or better 1.5 GB of RAM to work properly. If you said this to Microsoft, they would laugh at you and if you say this at a IT job interview, you will get a NO HIRE instantly.

Before WinXP, I have been using Windows 2000 and Windows ME and 98, and they worked fine with lots of RAM.

If you mean chipset issues, that is a completely different thing - some motherboard chipsets were able to cache only a certain amount of RAM into the CPU. Meaning if you had more, system would be slower. But this has nothing to do with Windows!

And no, on my WinXP systems, using modern web sites requires at least 1 or better 1.5 GB of RAM to work properly. If you said this to Microsoft, they would laugh at you and if you say this at a IT job interview, you will get a NO HIRE instantly.

So I must have been very fortunate to be a company IT manager for twelve years followed by being self employed in IT for eight years and now have no need to work more than a couple of hours a day to make a living.

Not to mention the ten years as an Electronics engineer!

some motherboard chipsets were able to cache only a certain amount of RAM into the CPU
Do you actually know the difference between RAM and CPU cache??

One question, tho: I am not using x64 OS, but on my x86 - in the performance/memory task-manager tab - cache+available = "Total". On yours - it wasn't so. Is that correct?

yup, cache+available <> (not equals) "Total"

take one more snapshot - utorrent is not lunched

http://goo.gl/Q8A9D

and again cache+available <> (not equals) "Total"

probably windows counting some additional space allowed on hdd

Once I see Ciaobaby post, I stop following a thread. Condescending, and refuses to acknowledge a problem that I've seen literally dozens of threads on since they released an update about 2 months ago.

I tested this on an i7 3770k, fresh install of Windows 7, NOTHING else installed, 16 gb of ram, 256gb SSD with 500mb/s read/write speed.

This is a uTorrent problem, and I don't know if Ciaobaby actually WORKS for uTorrent or simply likes to be a douchebag, but he's chasing off people who use this product. Hopefully someday one of the coders take the time to address this issue.

Also, you MUST end process tree in order to exit uTorrent when this happens. After you actually crash it out, THEN you can relaunch it, and the problem goes away for a while. Then happens again. NOTHING ELSE has ANY problems, except uTorrent.

So I must have been very fortunate to be a company IT manager for twelve years followed by being self employed in IT for eight years and now have no need to work more than a couple of hours a day to make a living.

Not to mention the ten years as an Electronics engineer!

some motherboard chipsets were able to cache only a certain amount of RAM into the CPU
Do you actually know the difference between RAM and CPU cache??

hey! are we trying to resolve problem ore measure with di*ks!?

who cares how long and where you have worked and how lazy your ass can be now.

you can't give answer to resolve this issue and stop insult everybody here! :mad:

Also, you MUST end process tree in order to exit uTorrent when this happens. After you actually crash it out, THEN you can relaunch it, and the problem goes away for a while. Then happens again. NOTHING ELSE has ANY problems, except uTorrent.

It works fine for me with a normal exit of uTorrent, no need to kill the process, at least on my system.

I did encounter a hanging of uTorrent in some older versions, though.

Once I see Ciaobaby post, I stop following a thread. Condescending, and refuses to acknowledge a problem that I've seen literally dozens of threads on since they released an update about 2 months ago.

I tested this on an i7 3770k, fresh install of Windows 7, NOTHING else installed, 16 gb of ram, 256gb SSD with 500mb/s read/write speed.

This is a uTorrent problem, and I don't know if Ciaobaby actually WORKS for uTorrent or simply likes to be a douchebag, but he's chasing off people who use this product. Hopefully someday one of the coders take the time to address this issue.

This. Also bump for justice, since all my RAM also gets eaten when uT is running.

Archived