Don't Download and Right Click Menu

Keluc

So when I click don't download in my right click menu is still downloads some parts of the files (for stuff like download whole tv shows or albums) another thing that is happening in the right click menu is whatever i first click is left on my screen. So now in the middle of my screen I have [Don't Download] and it will stay there unless I reset my computer of change the screen resolution.

So when I click don't download in my right click menu is still downloads some parts of the files

Cross-file pieces. Non-bug.

another thing that is happening in the right click menu is whatever i first click is left on my screen. So now in the middle of my screen I have [Don't Download] and it will stay there unless I reset my computer of change the screen resolution.

Is your display driver up to date?

This does seem to be fixed in 3.3.1 build 29594, I only tried a few torrents and they were not from my usual site (usual was down) but it worked favorably. Only problem is the beta installer does not install to the same location as previous versions and has no facility to change the install location, also unlike previous versions and the current stable. Not ideal but I'll sacrifice a little convenience to avoid a bug.

Only problem is the beta installer does not install to...

Only problem is you using the installer at all ... Simplest is to just put all the settings file with the exe, and replace it whenever you feel like updating. I never tried, but there is a very good chance that even auto-update will work perfectly well, since the location of the settings is *always* the same...

I believe the "don't download" problem should still be considered a bug since it does not delete the parts and creates the "skipped" files forcing the user to delete them manually, which it did not use to do.

Read the user manual on 'cross file pieces', compact_allocation and use_partfile.

Neither of those options would cause this problem (which, and I repeat, seems to be fixed in the latest beta) compact_allocation is disabled if you skip any files

If this option is enabled, files can't be skipped. If a torrent job has skipped files, it will not use compact allocation.
and use_partfile creates it's own .dat partfile named ~uTorrentPartFile_*.dat with * being a hexadecimal string, that partfile is also deleted once the job is removed from utorrent.
The partfile is removed when you remove the torrent job from the torrent job list.
The problem files are the actual named files and are not deleted on job removal. So this is not an example of cross file pieces and is a bug that is, again, seemingly fixed in 3.3.1 build 29594. No offense but please read the manual yourself before directing someone else to it.

Neither of those options would cause this problem (which, and I repeat, seems to be fixed in the latest beta) compact_allocation is disabled if you skip any files

Did I say to USE compact allocation?????

again, seemingly fixed in 3.3.1 build 29594.

So complying with this instruction would have negated your need to even post.

Did I say to USE compact allocation?????
If you were not suggesting it to be part of this issue (which i have proven it could not possibly have been, either on or off) it has no relevance in this thread.
So complying with this instruction would have negated your need to even post.
I did not start this post, i was only confirming the bug appears and I used the qualifier "seemingly" because I have not definitively proven the bug no longer exists in the beta, just that it happens far less often. Also I posted to let other users know that if they have this particular problem to go to the beta because some users are less enthusiastic about using beta software unless they are told it will fix their problem. And if anyone reading this does not know how to get the beta build it can be found here http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/ just replace the executable (because sometimes just enabling "update to beta versions" and clicking "check for updates" doesn't work)

This does seem to be fixed in 3.3.1 build 29594

With "regular " use, and partfile enabled - it seems to be working OK.

To be honest, I did observed this still happening rarely (combined with force-recheck), and I even have screenshots of that, tho, I have no idea what triggers it, nor the exact repro steps.

With all these rewrites of the file IO sub-system, and knowing there are synching issues of the resume.dat file with the actually events/states of the torrent, anything is still possible (it is being updated periodically, and not per event!).

My recommendation to the devs would be to keep better track in the resume.dat . There are definitely still issues with that.

And to you, both - stop this ridiculous 'debate' :P It is not even your thread...

true :P but I really do believe they are making good net progress, also, you say you occasionally still see it happening in the beta, right? Over what period of time/# of torrents? I tried testing it with various torrents including ones that would cause this problem in 3.3 but I could not replicate the bug in the current beta so i assumed it was fixed, but it could also have something to do with personal settings

>you say you occasionally still see it

Misquoting. Again... No, I said "rarely"... This is if I try very hard to re-check, restart uT, delete files, re-download. Probably breaking resume.dat or the partfile itself ... deleting + re-adding the job + force-recheck the torrent seems to recover things.

Archived