Port was open and suddently it's not

Pato8

Hello, everyone!

I 'm having a hard time configuring uTorrent. For 8 months since I got my new computer, uTorrent was working great for me.

The download speed was almost constantly at its peek, 1.1 MBps.

Several weeks ago, however, a problem occurred and it doesn't work the way it should anymore. The test returns a result that port is not open, but I'm able to download.

Yes, I am still able to download, but the download speed is very variable and it swings between 100 kBps and 700 kBps, mostly around 500 and it hardly ever reaches more than 800 kBps.

I haven't changed my Antivirus, Firewall, Router, etc., since I first installed it in December.

This is really driving me crazy.

And I somehow think the problem is in uTorrent, because every program / online checker I tried displays that the port is open, for both TCP and UDP, including PFPort Checker. I also temporarily disabled all antivirus, Windows Firewall (yeah, I know, it sucks and blablabla, but I don't think the problem is here), and router firewall. And the result is still same.

I also tried to reset all the settings and guess what - nothing changed.

I'll kindly appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.

I don't know why you need to be arrogant. I really tried all the solutions in that thread.

Anyway, here are the informations:

* Things I've tried:

Restart µTorrent, your computer, modem, and/or router after performing any of the suggestions below

Try using Switeck's conservative settings

Try lowering net.max_halfopen to 4 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

Try lowering bt.connect_speed to 4 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

Try disabling IP resolving in the Peers tab's context menu

Try disabling DHT (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

Try disabling UPnP and NAT-PMP (Can be found in Preferences > Connection)

Try disabling peer.resolve_country if it isn't already set to false (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

Try lowering maximum global number of connections to 200? 100? 50? Lower? (Can be found in Preferences > Bandwidth)

Try disabling uTP? (Set Preferences > Advanced > bt.transp_disposition to 5)

---

Restart µTorrent, your computer, modem, and/or router after performing any of the suggestions below

Make sure you have a green network status light in the µTorrent status bar and/or the port checker in the Speed Guide (Ctrl+G) shows the port to be open - PORT IS NOT OPEN

Try enabling Protocol Encryption? (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

Try disabling bt.tcp_rate_control? (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

Try various uTP settings? (Set Preferences > Advanced > bt.transp_disposition to 31 to enable, 26 to force, 21 to disable)

Make sure peer.lazy_bitfield is enabled? (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

Test your connection with Glasnost to make sure your ISP isn't throttling BitTorrent (and check this thread for a compiled list of ISPs known to throttle) - There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

* The state/value of all of the options you were recommended to change up above: as it was suggested in the thread

* Icon color in status bar: green

* What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes: Port is not open, but you are still able to download.

* Security SW: Windows Firewall, Eset NOD32 Antivirus 6

* Router: D-Link DSL-2641R

* ISP: Slovak Telecom, a.s.

* Connection type: DSL

MY HW:

MB: MSI Z77A

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K (not overclocked)

RAM: Corsair 2x4GB 1600MHz

GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

Drive: none

And I somehow think the problem is in uTorrent

In contrary to the above experts' date=' I think you are right, and it is... :P

[url']http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=746896#p746896

Thank you for your reply. PFPortChecker and Firebind (http://www.ismyportblocked.com/) both say it is open. However, uTorrent still says it's not. So is it just a broken port checker, or may this result in poor speeds? It may be just a coincidence, that my download / upload were somehow lower than usual, then.

Just finished several hours of testing with three 'portable' installs of uTorrent 3.3.1.30017.

The network status indicator changing colour to amber or red is a false alarm, if the port is already opened, manually or automatically and uPnP or NAT-PMP is enabled the client is repeatably trying to open the same port and is getting a response that the port is in use, and is then flagging that there is a network error.

Turning off BOTH uPnP and NAT-PMP stops this happening.

Logged messages.

[2013-08-16 13:16:27] UDP port bind failed 0.0.0.0:19500: (10048) Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

[2013-08-16 13:16:27] UDP port bind failed [::]:19500: (10048) Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

This behaviour [curiously] ALSO floods the machine DNS cache AND 'crashes the Internet' as many users put it, running ipconfig /flushdns clears this and allows browsers to 'work' again.

Thank you all for your help. Slackware torrent is being downloaded at the speed of over 1.1 MBps, which is great for my connection.

By the way, the icon in status bar of uTorrent is green for me, only the test result is a green tick with a small black asterisk saying that the port is not open.

When I disable UPnP and NAT-PMP, the uTorrent test doesn't even work and it says, that neither UPnP nor NAT-PMP are enabled and I should check my preferences.

Archived