Cogeco Cable in Canada now blocking even encrypted torrent connections

Optimus

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're in one of the big-10 metro areas?? (I'm in one of the big-50) Or are they rolling out only in certain states? ... Remember download is incidental if they still keep you @ 1Mbit upload for 50Mbit download, you can buy altnet access with the difference for their pricier tier.

• 3 weeks later...

so guys, im new here. i had Rogers cable in London, ON and used BitTornado until recently I got jibbed. I am in Peterborough now, and getting Cogeco 10mb/s connection on Friday (may 23).

I can also chose Nexicom DSL. I chat with a nexicom rep thru another forum (dslreports) and he told me (after providing my phone number) that my dsl line would be serviced off the bell servers. I am sharing bell sympatico with my landlord (2 mb/s i believe) and its TERRIBLE. i cant even open several websites sometimes (i THINK sympatico=cable).

So, my question is:

1) does anyone in peterborough using cogeco have problems downloading torrents?

2) should I cancel cogeco appointment and get nexicom instead? (apparently dsl is "god" compared to cable in regards to torrents, and it doesn't matter whether its bell, or another isp?)

im a n00b, please excuse me. thanks for your advice!!

p.s. cogeco charges $35 installation fee (mandatory) so i dont want to pay that friday and then find out im getting throttled and then get nexicom sheeh ='(

I don't know about the network of the ISPs in question. But technically there should be no difference between cable and adsl in regards to BitTorrent usage.

I have both ADSL and Cable at home and assure you that there is no difference. Its all about bandwidth and maybe the quality of the equipment you and your ISP employ (modems, routers, gateways, connection to backbones, etc).

• 1 month later...

Rogers Cable throttles ALL encrypted traffic, because they couldn't isolate BT traffic.

Port 1720 works fine for me still, it is or was the port they set aside for VOIP traffic, and so is not throttled. I don't know what Cogeco uses.

DSL blows, at least sympatico. Their modem/routers (SpeedStream) stop working the second you try to change any settings for port forwarding.

I'm happy with cable. :)

I use uTorrent for large files, and Ares for music and other smaller files.

Remember, always keep your antivirus up to date, scan EVERYTHING you download, and use PeerGuardian!

I have AT&T DSL @ home--without the phone service (if you bug them enough, they will let you get a DSL account without requiring the phone service). Didn't seem like they were doing much if any throttling of traffic.

I'm on the road a lot so most of my torrenting is either on open WiFi's or lately on my new Aircard from AT&T.

I found out that the Aircard itself can't handle too many connections at once. I had reformatted my laptop and forgot to change the speed settings from 600 global connections. The little Aircard nearly melted down it got so hot.

Now I'm slowly increasing the connections/speed settings to see how it does.

Archived