Cogeco Cable in Canada now blocking even encrypted torrent connections

Optimus

SecureIX can be connected but you have to set it to keep on dialling and wait. It could be as long as few hours to a day. Once connected, DON'T disconnect it or shut off your computer :P

Is there other free VPN services?

Alternatively you can go for paid VPN services like http://www.hotspotvpn.com/ but i didn't use this one so i can't speak for the services. For $8.88 per month, i say it's worth a try.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've wondered if having all traffic, encrypted or otherwise, on the same port is probably a bad thing. If these throttling switches are throttling a port once they see a type of traffic on it...then the only solution is for there to be 3 separate ports: tracker port, unsecured port, and encrypted port. And the tracker port may have to be encrypted AND possibly proxied as well.

Why is Rogers making it so difficult for customers to use a protocol which will be the future of internet downloading. Ok, so 90% of the customers probably download DVD and stuff, but what about those who download legal items such as from Apple, Blizzard, Fileplanet,Parimont,etc....? Couldnt they cap our torrent download to 100KB or something.

I was really hoping the new utorrent would work but now, it appears, Rogers is able to throttle encrypted data :(

Either something is still going over "in the clear" that their throttling boxes key into and throttle you, or they're just generically throttling ANY port they see numerous ips connected to.

(But wouldn't a VPN proxy show up as a single ip?!)

VPN works it just takes days to connect. i hope they fix this in a new version of utorrent. perhaps the software could let us connect to them and that could get around traffic shaping. or people should get mad and just start DoS'ing rogers.

Oh my god... I got rogers and my naighbour got Execulink...

I did a test, with rogers i download at like 10kb max, with execulink i download at 30kb+.... Same nic and on top of all that Execulink is the 2mbits per sec... rogers is suppose to be 5mbits per sec... I'm sooo cancelling rogers.

Ah, Execulink! :) That's the ISP I use for unlimited DSL access and I've never had any serious issues with BitTorrent. I'm usually able to get maximum speeds in µTorrent with just about any torrent that has a decent seed-to-leech ratio (but using private trackers probably helps with that). The point I'm trying to make is that there are alternatives to Rogers, so if they persist with their anti-P2P methods then consider switching to another provider. If Rogers won't listen to complaints, maybe they will take notice when subscribers leave in frustration.

Rogers has a good dam monoply. Like me there are so many people that are still stuck on a 1.5 mbs profile because bell still hasnt upgraded. The united States is so lucky look at FiOS, no traffic shaping, unlimited, fast speeds, and usenet. i would want that so bad.

Hey, FiOS is only a few places. I'm 20 minutes from Chicago and I don't have it as an option. My friend who lives in Chicago just got Cable modem in his area 9 months ago. And last I checked with him 3 months ago he still didn't have any DSL options.

I have the options of Cable Modem from Comcast & WOW, DSL from SBC (I have this) & Virzon, & Satilite from Direct TV & some other group. I want FiOS but I'll be another 10 months before my SBC Pro contract is up, so I hope they get here by then.

The big problem is that Comcast and the other companies have to replace the old copper T1 back bones before they can pump their high speed connections into the new areas.

.. should be getting DSL in the next couple of weeks.. in the meantime, it's fun watching my torrents report 2+ weeks to reach a 1:1 ratio.

The cable companies will pay for this BS. Stifling a technology won't solve their problems.

An Internet Service Provider that fails to provide will eventually find customer loyalty somewhere near pitchforks and torches. Joe Q. Public may not be smart, but if something doesn't work (even if it's because of HIS fault) he'll still get mad as hell about it.

...if he can be motivated to get off his couch and away from his tv and beer. :P

• 2 months later...

DSL works no problem. I can't believe there is any place in Canada where Rogers is an option that Bell or another phone company isn't an option, but I guess it's true. It really is the cable company focusing on the wrong thing. Build your network rather than limit your customers. I know a cable guy who worked for a subcontractor doing system work and couldn't believe the vast difference between what is being done in Canada and the US, where there company is occasionally contracted. In Canada, there are a lot of line extenders, and in the US, more trunks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

droogy: I have Bell DSL running beside Cogeco in Burlington. I'm throttled on BT uploads (to about 10KB/sec) with Cogeco, and that is why I got the DSL. The DSL works lovely for torrents (uploads at 73KB/s+ contstant), except that the max downlad speed is 500KB/sec (5mbit service). But with cogeco I can't really ever even download torrents that fast because of the upload throttling and what also seems to be some kind of much milder download throttling. Cogeco works great for surfing the web at 10Mbit/sec yay. But I care a lot more about torrents _working right_ than having lightning speed web browsing.

Not everyone on Cogeco seems to be throttled, but for those who are, Cogeco will not even admit to doing anything. If you try to talk to them about torrent uploading not working they will just tell you that they dont support bittorrent. I will likely be cancelling the Cogeco internet service within a few days, and I feel like they owe me money back to when I reported the problem on oct 2. I had seemingly no problems up until about mid sept, or so I thought.

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread, and its exactly the problem Im having....

We moved recently and went with Cogeco....d/l speeds are fine, but u/l on most private trackers, I only get around 10/kb u/l....:-/

I have all the necessary options enabled, and still seem to be capped....I've tried soo many different port numbers/options, its not even funny....

the weird thing is, on some trackers I hit my max u/l speed, its just on most I dont at all....I want to figure this out b/c its the fastest ISP around (16/1, when it works, lol)...

I had some previous issues in a topic before, that I think pertains to this thread as well... http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=17547

If anyone has an ideas/suggestions on what I can do, I would really appreciate it...

Please let me know if u need any more info. Thx for all and any help...:)

• 2 weeks later...

With Rogers, I used to get the same message. It usually happens after large amounts of traffic on the same port that they throttle it. Stop all torrents, change the port (and open them up in your firewall and/or router, use some port in a very different range because they might throttle ranges around your current port) and start again. It is advisable to restart the computer (just in case you have half-open sockets lying around). Usually works for me.

Hope this helps. Please post back with results after trying out.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on Rogers just north of toronto. I have two machines both running utorrent using the same internet connection. One the first client I changed the port number and now it's d/l at about 170kbs and the other one is still at 0.5kbs...

And now it looks like im losing speed on the connection. Honestly, after the nntp servers got the axe, this bt throttling, and finally a big price hike im fed up with them. dsl here I come.

The vpn actually works for me. I'm from Portugal. My ISP is also applying traffic shaping/QoS (call it what you want). I think that the problem is the way the tracker connection is done (unencrypted, plain http). So, if we can avoid our ISP gateway, the ISP can not "see" the connection between our pc and tracker. This means that they can't see the ip list that tracker sends to us. They can't identify the IPs. When a connection is done to a ip that is seeding/downloading a torrent the ISP thinks it's a normal connection, not bittorrent. So the connection goes on without being throttled.

Let me show you the way i do it:

1 - Connect to the VPN

when connected to the VPN, our predefined gateway is the vpn gateway. This means the communications between your PCs and the tracker is done through the vpn. The ISP can't see. They can't "blacklist" those ips given by the tracker.

2-In utorrent, Options | Preferences | net.outgoing_ip: put your IP, assigned by your ISP (if behind a router, i think that you must put your static/dhcp assigned internal ip address)

This forces the peers connections to be made through your ISP and prevents them to be reseted when you disconnect the vpn.

3-utorrent, Options | Preferences | BitTorrent | IP/Hostname to report to tracker: also put here your IP assigned by your ISP.

4-Start your torrent. You'll be limited by the vpn bandwidth. Don't worry.

5-Disconnect from vpn. Now your default gateway is your ISP gateway. You can use your bandwidth.

Hope this helps someone (if your isp is applying traffic shaping/QoS the way my isp does)

sorry for my english :|

• 2 weeks later...

Ive Got RogersCable.. The + They Are 6000 Down instead of 5000 they went up. Upload didnt but oh well.. I use to love downloading got freat speeds 800 bps Now i get 30 and it drops sometimes 2 kbps some time 15 sometimes none. Its really Annoying...Force incription that dont work. Amount of connections that dont work. I heard Sympatico is Doing it and for many of us in canada Rogers is your only isp...And from the sounds of it all isp are doing it ..I say we Dos Rogers and tell um to stop screwin around lol..

I Hope Utorrent comes up with something soon my friend from the usa downloads at 700 kbps and i get 30 and drops thats bullshit im jelious.

Please uTorrent Fix this And call it FUCKROGERS.exe

• 9 months later...

Archived