3.4.x Beta

AdamK

I tested using OpenDNS for blocking bittorrent.com and it works effectively to prevent sidebar getting wide on µtorrent.  But you must make sure the update on their servers were done (usually takes 3 minutes) then you do ipconfig -flushdns to accelerate the reload process for new dns from opendns.  Test first if you can load bittorrent.com website with your web browser only when you noticed that the website is blocked in web browser that you know its being blocked by OpenDNS.  If its not blocked yet redo the ipconfig -flushdns process and retry bittorrent.com, until you see its being blocked by OpenDNS.  Then try with µtorrent to see if it fix your wide sidebar problem, remember to test with an empty settings.dat file too if it did not worked with your original one. ;)

EDIT:  You will see this when its blocked:

kUKCVG6.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your wishful thinking ;):D

LOL  Well I know for sure that we are not out of decent alternatives out there if they never fix this issue or any of the other issues that everyone wants them to fix. ;)  :lol:

I know many "open sources" good alternatives that could eventually kill the popularity of µtorrent if they don't get their codes in a better direction in the future.  Like for exemple if µtorrent starts looking like the image xriothhh posted here: http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88339-34x-beta/page-45#entry491625  I know damn well alot of peoples will quit using µtorrent, or at least their lastest version as many peoples seems to use more and more µtorrent version 2.2.1 or lower lately.  Hell, some trackers even started banning all 3.x versions of µtorrent, that just shows how badly it is.

Okay,

I have enabled the logger in my router to verify which bittorrent.com addresses that tries to load when I start µtorrent to find which is the culprit for the sidebar to get so wide.  After several testings and tweakings I finally found the exact specific address to block to fix the sidebar problem, I tested in hosts file and it works too. :D

Add this to hosts file:

127.0.0.1 cdn.ap.bittorrent.com

Or if you have firewall just block this:  cdn.ap.bittorrent.com

I used one from previous version (3.3.2) and it worked!

Culprit setting would be helpful...I'm thinking in the lines of one or more ad servers.

Ditto (using 3.3.2.30586 settings.dat).

I've open/closed uTorrent 3.4.2.32770 a few times and sidebar stays narrow :)

The culprit settings would still be handy to know though.

Does anyone know when the plus ad in the sidebar started?

I'm trying to compare older settings.dat to the newer corrupt and found this in the newer....offers.lrecXUpgradeUrl53:hxxp://utclient.utorrent.com/offers/plus-xpromo-cc84/19:offers.serverDomUrl36:hxxp://ads.bittorrent.com/blank.htm

tt replaced by xx= http

I'm trying to compare older settings.dat to the newer corrupt and found this in the newer....offers.lrecXUpgradeUrl53:hxxp://utclient.utorrent.com/offers/plus-xpromo-cc84/19:offers.serverDomUrl36:hxxp://ads.bittorrent.com/blank.htm

tt replaced by xx= http

It began ~June 25, between 31918 and 32081.

Plus ad image in left side bar when enabled (gui.show_plus_upsell) with host file entry is small

Plus ad image when no entry in host file is large and that's when the problem occurs with no option to narrow the side bar and the settings.dat will become corrupt with the static larger plus image size.

pLZqwGr.jpg

tt replaced by xx= http

"offers.serverUrls (l) [1]" seems to contain that same culprit url that I found that mess up the sidebar with "engine" sub domain instead of "cnd":  "http://engine.ap.bittorrent.com", in settings.dat.  I tried modifying it and it seems like µtorrent detects a bad settings.dat file once I did that modification tho.  It uses the old one I think instead because it renames the settings.dat to settings.dat.somenumbers.bad. :rolleyes:

So, delete the old, and delete the .fileguard key.

I don't know what you mean by the .fileguard key but I think I am getting into something with editing the settings.dat file with BEncode Editor.  If you read in the releaselog for beta builds of 3.4.2 they mentionned something about LREC that resize even when user don't get ads.

-- 2014-07-31: Version 3.4.2 Beta (build 32718)

- Includes latest stable 32691

- LREC resizes even when users don't get ads

I see 3 lrec settings in there with sub categories:

offers.lrecAdTypes (d) [1]-lrecAdTypes (l) [1]--5offers.lrecRefreshRatePattern (d) [1]-lrecRefreshRatePattern (l) [0]offers.lrecXUpgradeUrl ( [53] = http://utclient.utorrent.com/offers/plus-xpromo-cc84/

When I delete all these lrec related settings and save my sidebar is correct when I start µtorrent just like when I loaded your settings.dat file for the first time.  I restart µtorrent and sidebar gets wide again, exactely the same thing I would get using your settings.dat.  I can't seem to avoid getting these .bad settings.dat copies doing this when I load µtorrent but it still fixes the sidebar tho.

I don't know what you mean by the .fileguard key but I think I am getting into something with editing the settings.dat file with BEncode Editor.  If you read in the releaselog for beta builds of 3.4.2 they mentionned something about LREC that resize even when user don't get ads.

I see 3 lrec settings in there with sub categories:

offers.lrecAdTypes (d) [1]-lrecAdTypes (l) [1]--5offers.lrecRefreshRatePattern (d) [1]-lrecRefreshRatePattern (l) [0]offers.lrecXUpgradeUrl ( [53] = http://utclient.utorrent.com/offers/plus-xpromo-cc84/

When I delete all these lrec related settings and save my sidebar is correct when I start µtorrent just like when I loaded your settings.dat file for the first time.  I restart µtorrent and sidebar gets wide again, exactely the same thing I would get using your settings.dat.  I can't seem to avoid getting these .bad settings.dat copies doing this when I load µtorrent but it still fixes the sidebar tho.

Good lead... Here is what I tried, and maybe got it "fixed":

0. Make sure all offer* settings in advanced are set to false

1. exit uTorrent

2, Delete settings.dat.old

3. Edit settings.dat (BEncode editor)

4. Delete the first record (.fileguard)

5. Search for lrecAdTypes(l)[1]  -

-> delete the item under it (I have - 5), or change the value to 0

30d37c342866285.jpg ec6a77343075028.jpg

6. save

Try running uTorrent now, while crossing your fingers ...

Seems to behave  OK here after that change (3.4.2 build 32754)

Please report back with your results... :)

Good lead... Here is what I tried, and maybe got it "fixed":

0. Make sure all offer* settings in advanced are set to false

1. exit uTorrent

2, Delete settings.dat.old

3. Edit settings.dat (BEncode editor)

4. Delete the first record (.fileguard)

5. Search for lrecAdTypes(l)[1]  -

-> delete the item under it (I have - 5)

-> it will look like lrecAdTypes(l)[0]

30d37c342866285.jpg

6. save

Try running uTorrent now, while crossing your fingers ...

Seems to behave  OK here after that change (3.4.2 build 32754)

Please report back with your results... :)

You are right, deleting only that "5" value repairs the sidebar, unfortunately it still gets wide back after restart. :(

I found that setting it from 1 to 4 or higher than 5 makes the sidebar so small that we think it disapeared but you can resize it the size you want just like it was on the older µtorrents 2.x.  Setting it to a negate value seems to do the same thing as if you set from 1 to 4 or higher than 5, try setting it to 0 you might like what you see.  I don't think there is a way to make it permanent, apparently µtorrent resets it back to 5 as soon you quit µtorrent.

So now we know the catalyst, now I wish I/we could find what makes it so that I can't keep it fixed in mine lol.  I know its a bug from µtorrent itself but I mean it used to be fine on my computer before I downgrade to 2.2.1 from 3.4.2 then upgrade back to 3.4.2.  So there must be something else...

Archived