invalid path in torrent

ReZnoR

I have been using "uTorrent 3.2.3 build 285705" for a while now and today I upgraded to "3.4" and started getting all kinds of problems. But the most annoying is this. This happens with a lot of torrent-files. 

5S7JYBp.png

These torrent-files works GREAT in other torrent-clients like "Deluge" and also in the older µTorrent I used before... 3.2.3 build 285705. So apparently there's NOTHING wrong with the torrent-files.

But it's a bit frustrating to have more than one torrent-client running. 

EDIT: I guess the best solution for the moment is to just stick to using the older version of µTorrent since it works flawlessly. 

The 0-length paths in the torrent are actually a violation.

The bug isn't in the current uTorrent version. It's in the old one.

Ok easy explanation would be: The older versions of µTorrent creates torrent-files that most clients except for the newer versions of µTorrent can read? 

Like deleted "backward compatibility" or something like that? What do you mean by "violation"? 

As in it causes paths that outright break things and are potentially used as system-access exploits against remote computers.

Ok... well I deleted the new µTorrent now and installed 2.2.1 instead. That took care of the problems.

And now I can download at full speed again constantly without getting that annoying "disk overload" and "corked jobs" errors I had before. Which shouldn't be a problem when using fast harddrives. Western Digital Black in a RAID-0 configuration and 100MBit connection.

I upgraded today and instantly got this prob. One of the downloading torrent stopped and I couldn't continue it or start it over again.

Could that be fixed? Or I should downgrade to the previous utorrent version I have?

PS. I downgraded to 3.3.2 and the torrent started with no probs. Pity it was half-downloaded already before. I hope the bug will be fixed asap so to upgrade again.

Oh, thank you! As I said it was a silly question.

Is this 0-lenght as much a sign someone will get access to my PC? Or it just was made with "wrong" client version? If really this prevents me I can use the newest version of utorrent. I download tons of book on KAT, most from ppl I know and they'd never make a "dangerous" .torrent.

The bug is fixed, the torrent isn't.

Download it with another client that has the bug, or find another torrent.

Please explain how this can't be a bug in µTorrent? 

The torrent-files with this "path-problem" have been created both with older AND latest version of µTorrent. 

Also it appears to be a very RANDOM problem... because it's not specific to any size or number of files. 

• 1 month later...

FUCK NO.

DO NOT USE NOTEPAD.

THAT WILL COMPLETELY DESTROY THE TORRENT.

Also, it would need to be PROPERLY edited on the site it was uploaded to AND re-downloaded by people currently on it for it to work.

Can the torrent be fixed with BEncode Editor?  If so how?

• 2 months later...

Archived