"Clear cache every minute" option turned off in 1.

MechR

1.1.5 introduced the "clear cache every minute" option to help with people having memory-usage problems.

I enabled this option in 1.1.5.

1.1.6 changed the Advanced settings menu to something like Firefox's about:config. The relevant setting seems to be diskio.flush_files, but it's set to false. Is that the correct setting, or did it switch the "clear cache" feature off when I upgraded?

so if its turned off how long until it flushes the cache ?

im looking to find out if the disk is more or less acessed with this turned on.

perso i dont mind utorrent using more ram, i figure a small memory cache of its own is worth it if its gonna use less my hdd. its there, why not use it ? better to use the ram than put strain on the hdd.

thanks for any info.

It doesn't flush any cache. It just closes all open file handles every 60 seconds.

Sorry, I couldn't remember what it did exactly :oops:

So, true enables it, and false disables it? Does that mean my settings got changed somehow in the upgrade? (it's set to false now, but I had the feature enabled in 1.1.5)

It doesn't flush any cache. It just closes all open file handles every 60 seconds.

thanks, i think. So in plain english ? would it mean it leaves windows to handle the writting to disk whenever it sees fit ?

what about cache for reading ahead of blocks to upload ? (again, to minimize hdd accesses.)

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't seem to have cache for reading files for uploading, just caching for downloads.

It's an irony that upload caching is less useful than is download caching. That's because the Pieces that you upload are probably scattered all over the file and not in nice convenient sequence.

However, looking at my Azureus upload stats, I've got as much as 8% savings on disk access for uploads when I set a large cache size (above 40 megabytes). So, if the programmers had evaluated the value of upload caching by looking at a parallel example from Azureus, it may have told them this feature is low on the priority list.

I'd find it much more useful to have persistent superseeding mode (superseed doesn't turn off if another users reaches 100%). Many users hit-and-run and they turn off my superseeding mode in azureus. If there was a persistent superseed mode option, I would switch to uTorrent for my seeding. I have over 400 torrents in my Azureus seeding section, so staying in superseed mode is important to make use of my upload bandwidth in keeping multiple torrents alive.

Archived