uTorrent slow as heck and not responding

CorporalPunt

Hey, I've been using uTorrent for ages. Lately, or rather, the last few weeks it's been almost impossible to use. When I start uTorrent, it takes about 4-5minutes to actually show up (process is started in task manager, but interface doesn't show up). If I try to add more than one torrent it says "uTorrent is already running, and not responding". If I alt-tab to utorrent, I have to give it a few minutes to even respond to any input. What the hell is happening? My beloved torrent-client is acting up like never before. Any new bugs with new versions? Did my pc catch ebola? Anyone else experiencing the same? I've tried uninstalling etc.

Nothing special. I only use CCleaner and malwarebytes from time to time. I do have microsoft essentials. No firewall installed besides windows default. It's really strange, it's been working flawlessly for all the years I've used uTorrent. Last month is been acting up like crazy. Only updated windows, no other significant programs installed.

I'm almost tempted to format my main drive, since I can't even think of an alternative to utorrent that I want to use :P

I have pretty much the same issue, When i start utorrent up, it can take as much as 10 minutes to load the UI, even though it is showing in the task manager, Once it starts up i have the chance to load as many torrents as i want as long as i do it right then without minimizing the window and am not trying to use magnet links. Once the window is minimized or i spend time in another window, if i try to go back to utorrent, it will either completely crash, or simply sit as "Not Responding" and ill have to close it in task manager and reopen it in order to continue. This started about a month ago roughly, and nothing has changed on my computer, ive always ran Avast! (which has not been updated) and have windows firewall disabled.

Ditto.  I know others I chat with that are seeing the same issue.  For me at least its been a problem for many months now.  Nothing I've done fixes the problem OTHER THAN:

Never ever have more than two torrents actively downloading/uploading at once.  If you do, uTorrent will become almost completely unresponsive.  You must ACTIVELY manage which torrents are running.  Stop the others.  Wait until these are complete.  Delete them, then start the others.  Of course this likely means your tolerance for seeding to an acceptable level will drop like crazy, which is bad.  But that's the story until uTorrent accepts that this is a problem and fixes it.

In my case--Windows 7 x64, Microsoft Security Essentials.

been using utorrent for several years, worked fine til lightning took out my system (12 yrs old running xp). new system runs windows 8 64 bit. started off ok. used mac afee for trial period now have norton security. prograg started going not responding last week before the norton upgrade. saw fanfoot has win 7 64 bit. could this be the program doesn't like 64 or 64 doesn't like the program ? does the upgraded ver like 64 bit?   also tried to changed the compatability mode to run in xp mode. that didn't work either.

I am using Version: 3.4.2 Build 34537 (32-bit), and I too have found this to be a problem.  I'm running on Windows 8.1.  However, in my experience there seems to only be some torrents that cause the app to freeze up.  If I go back and delete the problem torrent then uTorrent goes back to operating normally.  Add the torrent back in, and the UI will slowly become unresponsive again.  I've noticed that many (however, not all) of the YIFY torrents cause this issue.  I'm using WebRoot virus/malware protection.  However, uTorrent reacts the same with or without my security app enabled.  Furthermore, I tried it on another machine running Windows Vista...  same issue!  Right now, the only work-around is to go find another torrent of the same media that doesn't have the problem. 

However, in my experience there seems to only be some torrents that cause the app to freeze up.  If I go back and delete the problem torrent then uTorrent goes back to operating normally.  Add the torrent back in, and the UI will slowly become unresponsive again.

Unless you, guys,  point to the exact torrents and your settings that makes it behave that way - your posts are useless!

Unless you, guys,  point to the exact torrents and your settings that makes it behave that way - your posts are useless!

Ok, I searched and found a torrent that seems to exhibit the described behavior on my machine.  The hash is BFFA03D953957F34505853342BF560381ED7CE62.  You should have no problem finding it most anywhere on the Net.  I started my client and added the torrent.  Initially the client was very responsive and I took a screen shot at that point.  About 10-mins. into the download the UI started to freeze.  I took a second screen shot at that point.  Notice the (Not Responding) in the window title.  It wasn't totally non responsive at that point; if one waits a long period of time it will finally respond then go back into a non-reponsive state.  Nonetheless, at this point it is functionally useless as a client. 

Thanks!!

PS: I noticed that after about 30-mins. the UI became totally unresponsive.

PSS: BTW, I am using the TorrentPrivacy VPN/proxy. 

post-377838-0-64274900-1414943954_thumb.

post-377838-0-21270600-1414943975_thumb.

post-377838-0-64274900-1414943954_thumb.

post-377838-0-21270600-1414943975_thumb.

No issue here (35488). I am putting my money on it being related (bug or non-bug) to your proxy and/or VPN . Try w/o them.

Hmmmm... I have my doubts.  This didn't show up in version 3.2.1. until I upgraded to 3.4.2.  Anyway, when I can find a torrent I can try w/o my VPN I'll give it a test...  Thanks.

And w/o the proxy too...

Actually, regardless if my proxy/vpn is somehow causing this issue or not.  It's still a bug on the part of uTorrent.  The UI should NEVER be unresponsive like it is.  Significant work should never be done on the thread that handles the window message queue, nor should the message thread wait on a lock that is held by a worker thread.  That's almost always what causes this sort of behavior. 

Regardless, I will still try to repro without my proxy/vpn.

Actually, regardless if my proxy/vpn is somehow causing this issue or not.  It's still a bug on the part of uTorrent.  The UI should NEVER be unresponsive like it is.  Significant work should never be done on the thread that handles the window message queue, nor should the message thread wait on a lock that is held by a worker thread.  That's almost always what causes this sort of behavior. 

Regardless, I will still try to repro without my proxy/vpn.

Yeah, as I said, can be a bug manifesting when using a proxy.

No, one can also assume there are sevveral users how are either idiots using bad settings, or have an hostile ISP that messes things up for them... :P

Seriously rafi??  You are going to blame the UI freezing on idot users?!   That is a stretch and more than a little insulting to those using the application.  In what capacity are you associated with utorrent?  Are you a developer?  I am a retired developer and I can tell you that I know a hell of a lot about it.  Yes, there are many instances where poor performance by an application can indeed be traced back to settings or method of use.  HOWEVER, the freezing of a UI is NOT one of them, period!!  This could only be due to one of two things.  Either it something wrong with the operating system where the messages are not getting to the UI thread in an expedited manner or it is that the UI thread that is doing something that it really shouldn't do.  Since no one seems to be experiencing issues with their systems over all, and it appears to be ocurriing on multiple platforms, it is highly likely that it is the latter.  There are many ways to find and fix bugs.  One of them is to get a "repro" and debug the app.  That's great if one can get a consistent repro for all machines.  However, that may not be the case in this instance.  Another is to look at the symptoms of the bug and do a code inspection.  I'll bet that if I was to look at the code right now I could come up with a number of places where these sort of symptoms would arise.   This sort of UI freezing, hell ANY UI freezing demonstrates a serious lack of robustness in the coding process and needs to addressed by the deveolpers immediately.  Sure the RTFM mentality sometimes has it's place; however, it has no place here.   UTorrent has a serious problem and it needs to be addressed regardless if you get a repro or NOT!!! 

Archived