uTorrent not respecting minimum announce time

atm999

[edit] Look below at Stone's post

Thanks Stone![/edit]

AH HAH! I finally got Ethereal installed on my laptop, started up uTorrent and captured what I believe is an update. I edited the trackers IP out and saved the packets to txt file. Here is a link to what I have: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Let me know if you need to see different info (I chose to display ALL info, but this is obviously my first time using the app) and I can either re-capture or re-save the packets I have.

Hope this helps.

tcb

P.S. - The update packets I captured actually caused the error to show.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

d8:intervali3600e12:min intervali1801e5:peers0:10:tracker id5:32858e

intervali3600 - tracker tells µTorrent to update tracker every 3600sec (1hour)

min intervali1801 - µTorrent should not update tracker more often than 1801sec

is that what you were asking?:)

Sweet. I guess I missed that line while looking for anything before (like I said, first time), but I see it now. I also see I should have edited a little more, so I'm going to take it down and we will just go with the line you posted.

Thanks!

tcb

• 2 weeks later...

Well, seems some trackers implemented a script or similar to enforce their exact minimum announce time (in this case 30 minutes) and µTorrent tries to announce at very opening of a torrent and then couple of minutes after - at least that's what heppened to me on one tracker. Therefore I don't consider it only a µTorrent bug. The failure message clears on next tracker update allright and connection to tracker is working again, but the glitch is returning with every new torrent I download. I'm using µTorrent ver. 1.6 final and before with 1.5 betas never experienced this problem (maybe cause the tracker itself happened to implement that minimum announce period while new 1.6 version was released, and I'm not saying they did it because of µTorrnet). It doesn't give me troubles yet, but still would like to see it fixed in some way (new ver. or workaround, w/e can stop the bug). Btw, other clients on the very same tracker has the same problems - some have workaround by setting minimum announce time in options. Dunno what can be done to avoid this 'failure and disconnect from the tracker' error, but it would be nice of you to consider inspecting the whole problem if iyou think it might be µTorrent wrong announcing period.

This issue was resolved in the final 1.5 beta, and is still working properly in 1.6 builds. The issue (I assume because it was not directly posted to be) was the mispelling of "minimum interval" somewhere. Since that fix I have not had the problem again.

I suggest you contact the person who implimented the script on that site and have them check the spelling, it may be as simple as that. Especially since it is happening on other clients.

tcb

Per the release notes for uTorrent 1.6 rc1 there was a misspelling of "minimum interval". It was definetely a problem in uTorrent that I was experiencing.

My post suggested that Fevves ask for the script at the tracker he is using to be spell checked. Maybe they had misspelled "minimum interval" the same way it was misspelled in uTorrent before rc1. This would explain why it wasn't happening before rc1, and is now, and also why it is happening with other clients. A bit of a stretch I know, but it wouldn't hurt...

Hope that made a little more sense.

tcb

The tracker staff gave workaround for azureus (increase min. announce interval setting) for example - which does the job for some and not for others, but nothing yet for µTorrent. I'll ask there about the matter. Thanks for your suggestions.

• 4 months later...

this error is exactly as feeves says's on some trackers that have started using an anti-hammering script I have received this error on many torrents and from trackers tdamage tvtorrents and others it seems that after the 30 mins wait it corrects itself but it would be nice to be able to set the announce time to 30 mins to avoid this error as more and more trackers are using this script

I don't think its just a spelling error I think its as feeves says's when utorrent first connects it seems to re-announce a few minutes later then sticks to the 1 hr announce after that I found this message on a private tracker site today [NEWS 2006-11-04

Announcing too fast!

With the implementation of the anti-hammer logic, a bug has popped up in uTorrent (and possibly other clients). In very active torrents, uTorrent will sometimes re-announce in only 3 minutes, not the 30-60 minutes as prescribed by the tracker. The result is that uTorrent will get an "Announcing too fast!" error and set its retry counter to 20 minutes. Any time you announce before the timeout built into the tracker you'll get this error.

After the 20 minute timeout a successful announce should be possible. The result is that uTorrent will announce 23 minutes after the last announce while exhibiting this bug.

You will not lose any credits. Simply follow the instructions in the error message: "Just wait and this will resolve itself. No action necessary"

-- Admin]

I hope this explains what is causing these error's with some trackers any work around tricks or comments appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

this is a reply I recieved discussing this with one of the trackers that is having problems with utorrent 1.6 and not with any of the earlier versions[i don't see how the problem is the tracker's reply when the tracker specifies 30 minutes, uTorrent shows the timer counting down from 30 minutes and then announces after 3 minutes anyway.

Programmers fight tooth and nail when they can't duplicate the problem and would much rather blame someone else because it's too time consuming to actually make an attempt to find the problem.

I've captured announce and reply and there's nothing wrong with either yet uTorrent announces anyway.

In addition, if uTorrent 1.5 doesn't do it but 1.6 does on the same tracker, what's that tell you?

] they assure it is only an issue with latest release if it was a spelling error on the script wouldnt it affect all versions and all clients?

it "IS" happening with other trackers, all these similar posts I have seen here and on other sites all saying 1.6 not earlier versions it all must be a big coincidence RIGHT'' these are just 3 of the same posts on this site saying much the same [http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=12868 http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=16338 http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=14346 ] and this one is the same as well [http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=14346] I am not saying it can't be happening because of a spelling error but the admin on two sites I use assure me its only happening with 1.6 if you want their details pm me and I will put you in touch I am only raising to help keep your client the best as it is the only one that doesn't slow my machine down from using too many resources. regards david999

Archived