What does Add peer do?

jivan

When one is downloading a file. There are peers who have 100% or much better than mine downloads. If I add the peer with his port no. what does it actually do? Are there some other things I need to look into? Thnx in advance.

Another thing, what is the tracker update in : thing . Does it upload the stats of the download or of the session to the tracker. More relevant perhaps with private trackers. It's in the general tab of the torrent one is downloading/seeding.

Dear utorrent-Guest, just saying ja doesn't quite cut it. Guess I should 've been more clear so here it goes again :-

Hi all,

what is the tracker update in : thing . Does it upload the stats of the download OR of the session to the tracker OR both. Please be very specific with the answer on this More relevant perhaps with private trackers. It's in the general tab of the torrent one is downloading/seeding. Thnx in advance.

thnx Ultima,

Last query, some of the private trackers ask to disable DHT while using their torrents if one wants to maintain ratio in their database & then enable it back. What do u think of this practise. Are they pulling a fast one? Thnx in advance.

I don't know what to say about that. On the one hand, I can understand that they want to keep to their own community, but on the other hand, it sorta goes against the open nature of P2P (though it's not really against P2P itself). At any rate, if they don't force uploaded torrents to have the private flag set, then it's their own fault. You're free to choose whether you want to disable DHT or not -- not like they can detect it easily anyway (although it is possible to do so).

Note that I'm not saying you should break tracker rules, just that they should really impose some kind of private flag rule if they cared enough.

• 1 year later...

"people should use google more often"

People should speak in English (or the preferred tongue) rather than in these irritating acronyms, many of which are not only confusing (as above) but are often downright untruths. (How many people have you ever seen actually L'ing OL as they type "LOL"?) :P

Incidentally, using Google to search for IINM also threw up, inter alia:

- Intelligent Integrated Network Management

- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF NATURAL MEDICINES...

So LDTPUOA... (OWTTE - LOL)

Confusing or not, there are very-commonly-used acronyms that (for the most part) people are eventually going to run into while browsing the Internet. It's no different from learning a new word, and Googling it is no different from looking a new word up in the dictionary. Google properly links to the correct definition within all the first few results anyway. "LOL" (or any acronym of that ilk) is clearly used to express an emotion, and even if the person didn't know the other person writing "LOL" wasn't literally laughing, they still got the idea (that the person most likely found whatever they're "LOL-ing" about to be amusing/funny). If anything, "LOL" is more expressive than "oh that's funny."

I try to keep everything I write grammatically correct, but that doesn't mean acronyms should be forbidden, or that I'm not "speaking" (writing) in English when I use them.

Hello, Ultima.

A good response.

I disagree, however, with the suggestion that "LOL" might be more expressive than "oh that's funny."

"LOL" can only mean "LOL": "oh that's funny" has at least a hint of the comparative (and precision).

But, as we strip our languages of all meaningful nuance, we decline toward the ultimate inarticulacy of restricted code communication.

Regards

s

Actually when I say LOL I often laugh out loud but I mean Fun. Because 'lol' is Dutch for fun (try it in babelfish :P), my native language :P

A nuance is not only employed by using different words for similar but distinct meanings but also by using context. Although context nuances are more difficult to communicated properly it doesn't mean we are declining into a inarticulate form of communication.

Besides you treat the language as a static thing, which it isn't. Language has always been evolving and will continue to do so whether u like it or not. Right now on the internet an important factor is saying much in as little of keystrokes as possible which amongst others leads to the frequent use of a wide array of old and new acronyms.

Newayz way off topic here. :P

• 3 months later...
In post #2, Ultima wrote:

It adds a peer to µTorrent's peer cache -- that's all. It doesn't force a connection with that peer. Sooner or later, µTorrent will attempt to connect to that IP:port.

Thanks for the great piece of software! I am kinda new to uTorrent. Currently using version 1.61.490 at the moment.

As Ultima advised, when user adds a peer the peer's IP address and port are added to uTorrent's cache. Does it imply that the added peer will be automatically removed at some point when uTorrent's cache is cleared up? If that is correct, exactly under what circumstances, will the cache be cleared?

Here is my situation. I had top-notch transfer speeds (dl/ul) with a peer for a while. Later on the peer simply vanished from seeding. As such I want to manually remove him from my (friendly?) peer list. I looked through uTorrent Preferences and directories but found nothing relevant. Do I really have to do anything manually to remove the previously added peer, or uTorrent will take care of it?

Thanks for advising:)

There is always the option of "clear peerlist" in the torrent advanced properties, but why do you want to remove him. Un connectable peers do not add much overhead to your communication. As long as your uT is working as expected, uploading as much as you expecte it to, letting your browse while uploading, why worry about silly little TCP/IP connections ;)

You're welcome to thank the permanent support staff or the developers by sending potted meats.

I'm not remembering clearly, but I think µTorrent removes peers from the cache after X amount of time (unless I'm thinking DHT nodes...?).

The "not forcing a connection" thing is outdated information for 1.7.x and up; µTorrent now tries to connect to the newly-added peer as soon as it can.

Wow thanks for the quick followup Ultima:)

I am reading some threads about Local Peer Discovery (LPD) right now. Here is My situation......

I am currently in one of the Asian countries. I have a seeder in Korea from whom I am getting great download speed. He is in the country closest to mine and pretty much from him only. All other seeders are in Europe and North America from whom I can minuscule speeds. It's like w/o him I will have to give up on getting the file. Although I don't want diverge this thread too much, I want a quick confirmation whether the LDP feature will meet my particular need.

Archived