Hide real ip address

sonicworld

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, what Yenkaz said. There is no, I repeat, no way to hide yourself with BitTorrent. If you're running from the Police, don't go anywhere near a PC, let alone share files on the BitTorrent network. :/ They'll find you anyway, but I thought I'd give you some comfort. :P

I wouldn't call it paranoid to be concerned about such things, though I agree you can't connect without being a bit vulnerable. There is always ipfilter to block connecting with the most unwelcome IPs. A search on this forum would probably tell sonicworld what he needed to know about how to use that.

TCP/IP communications that the BitTorrent protocol uses REQUIRES the sender and receiver to know each other's ip addresses. Connections can be NATed through a router, but that can run into firewalled issues if not port-forwarded...and still gives the router's internet ip address to the sender/receiver. And that internet ip is almost certainly going to be at the place-of-residence or workplace of whoever is using it, so you're still easily traceable.

In short, with direct connection, point-to-point file-sharing such as almost ALL common file-sharing programs (Kazaa, Gnutella, Shareaza, BitTorrent, E-Mule, WinMX, DirectConnect, etc) simply CANNOT hide their ip addresses other than routing ALL traffic through a proxy that will severely cripple speeds and max number of connections. ...Plus the proxy could be acting as a "copyright police" monitoring node, in which case even then all bets are off.

There is a small glimmer of hope with proxy-like networks such as TOR, but they simply cannot handle file-sharing levels of traffic and certainly cannot handle the monster-levels that BitTorrent generates. A proxy has to do everything 2x over -- sending out everything it receives, so its effective download speed over time is roughly HALF its upload speed.

Another small hope is UDP NAT hole-punching, which could possibly be coded so the receiver/downloader does not in fact know what the uploader's ip address is. However the temporary proxy needed to "introduce" the downloader and uploader to each other has to know both ips. It would also thoroughly complicate BitTorrent to introduce any privacy protection of that kind, because the whole purpose of a BitTorrent tracker is to TRACK ip addresses with the torrent/s in question! DHT and Peer Exchange wouldn't "solve" that, because they too have to know ip addresses to work...they just might not need to know which particular ip has which particular torrent. But at some level, something has to know or no connections could be made.

Man-in-the-middle anti-privacy attacks are the hardest of all to stop if everything's being done in the clear over an open network. Closed networks almost always have a single point or points of failure (such as private trackers or private DirectConnect hubs).

The problem with being on a network where you can search and download from a million people...is a million people can likely try to download from you!

Peerguardian is a good whistle blower, an instrument to determine if said enforcers (yes, I deliberately chose THAT word) are present on a torrent. Not a measure of defense.

But, you should also pay attention to such things as where said torrent is posted, how hashfails you get when initially connecting to it, etc.

but, to reiterate what others have said: there is no way to hide your ip.

Just help the poor guy.

Options > Preference > Advanced > net.bind_ip

For your info. Peer guardian/protowall/ip filters alone is useless. Someone wants to knows who is downloading what just has to connect to the tracker and he can see every IP.

Likewise, changing IP sent to tracker is also useless, if you connect to someone who wants to know your IP, he still knows it. Peers cannot connect to you since they are connecting to the wrong IP, but if you connect to their IP, you have to give them your real IP in order to exchange data.

If both are combined. Then you really get what you want. They can't connect to you and you won't connect to them.

lol, you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning three times in the same spot than getting caught seeding your xp cd..

it's amazing how many people are paranoid about trivial bs like this.

I remember that quote! where was it from? :P

Your IP address is included in the peer list sent by the tracker to whoever connects, so if someone wants to convict you of anything, the tracker says it all. And if they really wanted to, they can subpoena information out of the tracker, which logs your IP and activity (more-or-less).

Pwnage: most IP enforcement people and law enforcement use regular home connections.

How do you know that? Your saying that they have thousands of files transfering from home? Im sure some do, and sure they can suppena trackers, but by getting an ip list from a tracker and getting your ip they cant do anything. Peerguardian is good, and it doesnt really matter to me, i was just trying to help our paranoid friend.

Archived