Single click tray icon to show/hide main window [added poll]

Grnch

Currently we have to double click the tray icon to show/hide uTorrent. Single clicking would be better, most other programs that run in the tray are like that.

Besides, it would be faster for quick checks on download progress: click once to glance where the torrents are at, click again to hide the window.

Also, please fix the right-click tray menu, it should go away when you click somewhere else on the desktop, not stay there stubbornly until you click an option in it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
actually most programs use two clicks todo it because they first have to take the focus away from whatever window is open.

Not true. I'm currently counting 7 programs that run in my tray, and only 2 of them require a double-click to bring up the main window. The other 5 only need a single click, no matter what other application is focused.

I agree there are many program that use double-click, but they are not "most". Atleast for me, I always try to single click on those 2 programs, and am annoyed each time when I remember that they need a double-click (uTorrent is one of those 2). Single click is simply faster and more convenient.

Oh, come on. That's just retarded. You want double-click because you click wrong icons?!

Should we also make all the toolbar icons in uTorrent double-clickable, along with all the menu entries, in case your mouse slips and you click on the wrong menu item?

Look, double-click only makes sense when there is already a single-click function assigned, like in the file manager, you use single-click to select files, and double-click to open them, or in the list of torrents, single-click to select, double click to pop up the Properties window.

In the tray there is no concept of selection, so the single-click action just sits there unused.

Take the Quick Launch bar in Windows for example (right next to the Start button, with the small icons for programs you use frequently). It only needs a single-click to launch the program, and yet we need a double-click to bring up an already launched program? Where is the logic in that? It's just a waste of time.

Well, even so, one can easily click "Show Desktop" by mistake. Have you sent emails to Microsoft asking them to make it double-click instead? If you can live with single-click on the left side (quick launch), why not on the right side (tray)?

Anyway, I understand that it largely comes down to personal taste. Single-click just looks much more consistent to me in this case, not to mention it saves a bit of time. I guess the developers will have the final word.

I'm all for single click.

If one were to mistakenly single-click open an app...they were gonna do it anyway using the double-click method. No one pauses after the first click and catches themselves thinking "Oh, that's not the app I wanted to open." Next time you double-click to open an app, pay attn. to how fast you do it. It wouldnt make a diff.

Not true. I'm currently counting 7 programs that run in my tray, and only 2 of them require a double-click to bring up the main window. The other 5 only need a single click, no matter what other application is focused.

11 out of 15 programs in my tray use double-click.

Double-click is the standard way of doing this, so µTorrent should stick to it.

What if somebody accidentaly clicks on the µTorrent icon?

it's very unlikely to accidentaly double-click something, but single-clicking happens all the time.

Double-click is the standard way of doing this, so µTorrent should stick to it.

I don't think there is any standard for that, each developer chooses what's most appropriate for the program. Let's look at BitComet and Azureus, which look like the most popular clients. BitComet works with single-click, Azureus with double-click, so there isn't a clear preference either way, atleast for BitTorrent clients. uTorrent should do what makes most sense for it, not what other "standards" or programs do.

most of my programs use double-click

some programs use double click to show/hide program & 1click for a menu

an option to chose the way it works is probably the best solution 8)

.....but i'm affraid it will lead to more and more unnecessary options which will eventually make it bloated :lol:

If the devs don't need users' opinion what's the need in this forum at all?

He probably only meant that the poll alone wouldn't change anything, not general user's opinion.

There is some truth to that, as these forum polls are usually quite unreliable and don't represent the opinion of the majority of users (unless they accumulate a tremendous number of total votes). It would be much better to read the actual arguments made in the thread, and decide the better solution based on that.

Sorry but for as long as I can remember it has been double click and I am stuck in my ways. I believe double click is the standard seeing Microsoft made Windows and if you double click on the clock it brings up the options but single click does nothing. However, networking options is a single click. I have about 12 things in my system tray most of them are double click. I think double click is the way to go seeing it has been pretty much standard forever and your system tray isn't exactly a start menu where you need quick access.

If you want single click access don't minimise to tray. Problem Solved. :P

Archived