Slower Download Speeds after Windows 10 Clean Install

VHF3000

Greetings!

Last week I bought a new computer and installed these drivers: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#down-driver&Win10 (select Win10 64) in the same order as they're listed (except for the hotfix)

So after this and after installing a few more programs (uTorrent included), I decided to download some games. One had around 200-300 seeders, other had around 500 and other had around 1100.

I was astonished when I saw that I was downloading everything at speeds of 14MB/s. Now, I have a internet speed of 100Mb/s which does convert to 14MB/s so everything was alright. However, a few days ago, I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 again because of some problems I ran into. After everything was ready, I downloaded the same drivers in the same order and the same games, from the same torrents, but this time, it'd never go over 5MB/s... the maximum I reach is 8MB/s and even then it's rare. It's always been like this ever since then. I've looked everywhere on Google and tried tweaking my settings on uTorrent but nothing makes it go back to normal. I also tried re-installing the network drivers but to no avail. I use a 10 meter cat6 ethernet cable from gembird but I've read that length doesn't slow down your internet below 100 meters.

These are the relevant components of my build, I don't have a dedicated network card:

Intel i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4-2400MHz 14CAS
Western Caviar Blue 1TB HDD 7200RPM

What could this be? Is there anyway to fix this and make it go back to 14MB/s?

Thank you in advance,

- VHF3000

This has nothing to do with the specs and components of your system. It is an issue that is experienced by many people after the clean install (as you had already found on Google). However, you should try these simple steps to speed up your internet (if they prove to be helpful):

1. Turn off Windows Update Delivery
  2. Install proper WiFi Adapter Driver(s)

3. Turn off Windows Updates

4. Uninstall Optimization Software

5. Check Background Applications

6. Disable Firewalls

17 minutes ago, Brandon Hobart said:

This has nothing to do with the specs and components of your system. It is an issue that is experienced by many people after the clean install (as you had already found on Google). However, you should try these simple steps to speed up your internet (if they prove to be helpful):

1. Turn off Windows Update Delivery
  2. Install proper WiFi Adapter Driver(s)

3. Turn off Windows Updates

4. Uninstall Optimization Software

5. Check Background Applications

6. Disable Firewalls

Thanks for replying! I put the specs just incase someone needed them.

1. Already tried but it didn't work.
2. I use wired connection, don't have WiFi on this computer.
3. Will do.
4. Don't think I have any.
5. I tried closing every app that uses the internet (Telegram, Discord, Opera) but it doesn't seem to change much.
6. Will do.

I'll try those two points I still haven't tried and see if it works, then I'll get back to you
Thank you!

Download the slackware on my signature and give us a Screen of that process that will shows others what you speeds are. Also your 100mb doesn't give you 14mb utorrent not sure where you got that info but your torrent speeds are based on swarms and seeder bandwidth not your ISP speeds.

24 minutes ago, PiusX said:

Download the slackware on my signature and give us a Screen of that process that will shows others what you speeds are. Also your 100mb doesn't give you 14mb utorrent not sure where you got that info but your torrent speeds are based on swarms and seeder bandwidth not your ISP speeds.

I'm about to go to sleep but I'll do that tomorrow.

I am aware of that, what I said was that my provider provides me with 100Mbps which means my download speeds can go up to 14MBps, be it on torrents or not. So given enough bandwidth is there, I should be able to get a maximum of 14MBps. Do correct me if I'm wrong however.

Thanks for replying!

15 hours ago, VHF3000 said:

I'm about to go to sleep but I'll do that tomorrow.

I am aware of that, what I said was that my provider provides me with 100Mbps which means my download speeds can go up to 14MBps, be it on torrents or not. So given enough bandwidth is there, I should be able to get a maximum of 14MBps. Do correct me if I'm wrong however.

Thanks for replying!

That isn't true. Alot depends on the seeders bandwidth and swarms the more the higher speed the less the lower the speeds. That analogy is wrong and isn't relevant to utorrent speeds and bandwidth. Put this way, I have 50mb Fiber but I don't see 50mb utorrent speeds downloads speeds they are determine by the seeders and swarms as mention.

On 11/22/2016 at 11:49 PM, PiusX said:

That isn't true. Alot depends on the seeders bandwidth and swarms the more the higher speed the less the lower the speeds. That analogy is wrong and isn't relevant to utorrent speeds and bandwidth. Put this way, I have 50mb Fiber but I don't see 50mb utorrent speeds downloads speeds they are determine by the seeders and swarms as mention.

Thing is, before I had done the clean install, I downloaded all those games at 14MB/s, where one only had 200 seeders and the other had over 1000. Both were at the same speed. After the clean install, I never go over 8MB/s and when I do, it immediately drops down to 5MB/s (not even gradually, it just jumps to 5MB/s straight away) and sometimes even stays stuck at 3MB/s. The speed is always all over the place and never stable like it was before the clean install. Now when I try downloading those again, with the same numbers of seeders they had the first time I downloaded them, the speed is way lower. I even tried torrents with 10.000 seeders but it still didn't go high, always around the 3MB/s - 4MB/s. That's what makes me confused about all this.

10 hours ago, rafi said:

Try use my settings (@sig). You've probably modified some settings to suit your 100M connection, and now and is now changed back to default...

Thank you, I think it might've worked! Currently downloading a 27 seeders torrent at stable 15.3MB/s o.o Insane!

Archived