Initial Seeding bug

Lee

I know you 'fixed' the initial seeding bug in 1.6, but it's still there. I am able to upload to some users, but the majority stay unconnectable and I dont upload to them. If I disable the initial seeding it uploads to them fine.

If you need anymore info, just state it and I'll post it.

It takes a bit of a while to ramp up.

Well It started working at full speed, but then it went down to literall 5kB/s for 30 minutes and didn't even utilise my upload speed. It's quicker to just disable the option.. strange.

i tried it today

i was seeding, and there were 5 leechers

my upload speed was 1.5-2.5 mb/s distributed to all of them without initial-seeding

my upload speed was 100-200 kb/s to 1 out of 2 connected peers.. the other 3 peers were unable to connect

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

Yeah what [ultima] said. It should at least use a large amount of upload speed to seed pieces to leechers in a short time possible.

EDIT by silverfire: redundant quoting removed, and content edited for clarification

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

Nah, a moderator got the edit wrong.

Anyway, the idea of super seeding is to reduce the time it takes to seed the file. uTorrent doesn't achieve this with it's initial seeding feature.

Anyway, the idea of super seeding is to reduce the time it takes to seed the file. uTorrent doesn't achieve this with it's initial seeding feature.

Umm....

Initial Seeding isn't designed to max out upload speed. It's designed to massively improve the efficency of the upload speed that is used.

It's designed to increase the rate of piece distribution for a given amount of uploaded.

@Lee: Wrong, it was never designed to decrease seeding times. Reread the original description if you need further proof. If you can find where it specifically says it helps decrease the seeding times (or maxes upload speed, whatever you want), can you please quote for us?

FYI, seeding less data does not necessarily imply seeding for less time (which, in turn, might've lead to the misconception that it uploads more quickly).

Super(Initial)-Seeding is intended to maximize the swarm's total potential for efficiency and speed, not necesarily maximize your throughput. if you upload hte entire file to another person, the likelyhood of the torrent staying alive longer increase as now there are 2 completely different sources possible. if you upload 100%(of the size of the torrent) to 10 different ppl, then those 10 ppl only have 10% (assuming they get equal data qty) -- if you go offline, you've wasted all that time and now the torrent is sourced only as much as the total spread of those 10 ppl you gave 10% to.

is it really that hard to understand that it's not about maximizing initial speed throughput?

No, it's not bugged, plain and simple. I don't know how many times we have to repeat this until you guys understand it: SUPER SEEDING WAS NOT MEANT TO UPLOAD AT TOP SPEED. If it does, then good for you. If it doesn't, it's still following the specs, so it's doing nothing wrong, so you can't call it bugged.

When it falls to less than 1/4 max upload speed (<5 KB/sec) and stays there for 10+ minutes on end...I'd call that bugged. This doesn't increase piece availability in a timely manner like it should. But if the random peer initial seeding decides to seed to is very slow, this can happen.

Archived