Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

einniv

WebUI Not Reachable USing Computer Name

Recommended Posts

For  few years now I've been accessing the uTorrent WebUi over my local network using the computer name of the server it is running on. e.g. http://TheServer:9091/gui/ . Now that no longer works. I have to use the IP address instead. IP address works, loopback IP works (127.0.0.1), localhost works, but not TheServer. Was there an update recently that broke this? I have a few other programs that have a web gui and they still all work so it isn't a computer/firewall/network problem.

Chrome gives the error:

This site can’t be reached
The webpage at http://theserver:9091/gui/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Site issues aren't a utorrent problem. You need to contact the hosting site to find out what happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting the same issue here after the most recent update, is there some new security restrictions applied?

works fine when on the same network subnet however but not remotely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im having the same problem.

Been running the same settings in uTorrent and on my router for about 5 years and no problems, until the last update. Now it works only on Local LAN

Did a fresh install on a new pc, same result. Works on LAN, Error on WAN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2018 at 8:42 PM, PiusX said:

Site issues aren't a utorrent problem. You need to contact the hosting site to find out what happened.

Seems some of the replies are for a different (related?) issue. There is no hosting site. It is running on a server on my LAN; I'm not trying to access it remotely but rather over the LAN. That server's computer name is TheServer. It has worked for years and nothing has changed except uTorrent version, so definitely a uTorrent problem. Maybe you were responding to the other posts, not the original?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is clearly related to the problem that is pinned at the top of the forums, but I still haven't been able to get it working properly via hostname, even after changing the webui port to a port lower than 10000.  Not sure what the deal is... https://forum.utorrent.com/announcement/2-security-vulnerabilities-fixed-in-the-latest-utorrent-bittorrent-and-utorrent-web/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just upgraded to 3.5.3 build v44996 and experiencing the following:

Before upgrading, i could reach uTorrent WebUI:
- on LAN via http://computername.local:8080/gui
- on LAN via http://192.168.1.10:8080/gui
- from outside via http://homeip.net:8080/gui (ports forwarded)

After upgrading:
- LAN via http://computername.local:8080/gui NOW shows an empty page (nothing in Source View)
- on LAN via http://192.168.1.10:8080/gui STILL WORKS
- from outside via http://homeip.net:8080/gui (ports forwarded) NOW shows an empty page

What the hell kind of network confusion is going on here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gugugugu said:

Just upgraded to 3.5.3 build v44996... What the hell kind of network confusion is going on here?

There's definitely (some sort of) confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At last someone noticed this, this bug is in uTorrent since it was patched for remote control vulnerability.

Transdroid also doesn't work since then, connection is refused every time to the webui. The only thing that works is the uTorrent Remote application, but that's not a good one...

It is maybe related to the old webui.zip too, but that isn't maintained anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, KewlRobd said:

Has anyone figured this out? 

Nope.

Someone, somewhere blamed a security "fix" in the most recent uTorrent update (http://blog.utorrent.com/releases/). 

This bug also affects connectors like the Firefox extension "uTorrent Connector".

In preferences for that extension I used to have "host: computername.local" but that stopped working.
Using "host:192.168.1.10" works, which is the same for WebUI connectivity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 3:38 AM, gugugugu said:

 

Nope.

Someone, somewhere blamed a security "fix" in the most recent uTorrent update (http://blog.utorrent.com/releases/). 

This bug also affects connectors like the Firefox extension "uTorrent Connector".

In preferences for that extension I used to have "host: computername.local" but that stopped working.
Using "host:192.168.1.10" works, which is the same for WebUI connectivity. 

For me the WebUI is also unreachable if I am doing any kind of NAT.  It responds to http://localIPaddress:8080/gui but not http://publicipaddress:8080/gui.  I am 100% certain my firewall is configured correctly and it worked with my public IP before the update.  I have another computer running over a VPN that can reach the WebUI via the local IP so it's not a routing or gateway issue.

 

It's kind of ridiculous that it has been broken for this long and not even a single post in this thread from someone at utorrent.  I am trying to find an alternative but unfortunately nothing else meets all of my needs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone interested I was able to get the WebUI working in all situations by deploying a reverse proxy. In case anyone is going to try setting up a reverse proxy you cannot include the /gui in the URL you forward the proxy to.  So lets say you previously accessed your WebUI using http://mydomain.com:8080/gui.  Setup your reverse proxy to accept traffic from http://mydomain.com.  Setup the URL you forward to as http://local_IP:8080.  Then to access the WebUI you would use http://mydomain.com/gui.  If your using a another app to access utorrent via the WebUI, such as sonarr or radarr, simply change the configuration on your app.  The new settings would me mydomain.com with a port 80.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KewlRobd said:

For anyone interested I was able to get the WebUI working in all situations by deploying a reverse proxy. In case anyone is going to try setting up a reverse proxy you cannot include the /gui in the URL you forward the proxy to.  So lets say you previously accessed your WebUI using http://mydomain.com:8080/gui.  Setup your reverse proxy to accept traffic from http://mydomain.com.  Setup the URL you forward to as http://local_IP:8080.  Then to access the WebUI you would use http://mydomain.com/gui.  If your using a another app to access utorrent via the WebUI, such as sonarr or radarr, simply change the configuration on your app.  The new settings would me mydomain.com with a port 80.  

Excellent!

Mind sharing your recommendations for software?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gugugugu said:

Excellent!

Mind sharing your recommendations for software?

Since I am a Windows Server Systems Engineer I kept it simple and stayed with what I know.  My utorrent is installed on Windows 2012 R2 with IIS and the URL Rewrite module installed.  If you want to go that route you basically install the IIS role in windows.  Then download and install the URL rewrite from here, https://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/url-rewrite.  Then I followed these directions for creating a reverse proxy, https://tecadmin.net/set-up-reverse-proxy-using-iis/.  I added the reverse proxy rule on the default website in IIS.  On the inbound rules I put 127.0.0.1:8080.  Then you just need to forward port 80 to that system.  If you don't want to or can't use port 80 it's easy to configure IIS to use a different port.  Let me know if you need more help with this.  

nginx is a very popular reverse proxy software especially in the linux circles.  I looked at that but it seemed overly complicated for what I wanted to do.  I have seem some articles that say apache is also good for setting up a reverse proxy.  I have no experience on either of those applications.  

I found this guide if you want to try nginx, https://www.htpcguides.com/configure-utorrent-reverse-proxy-nginx-windows/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, thanks very much for detailing your setup! 

Agree on nginx being a bit overkill for this little niche setup, so am gonna give https://traefik.io/ a go.

 

Also, 

On 5/14/2018 at 4:20 PM, KewlRobd said:

It's kind of ridiculous that it has been broken for this long and not even a single post in this thread from someone at utorrent.

Very much agree on this! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gugugugu said:

Agree on nginx being a bit overkill for this little niche setup, so am gonna give https://traefik.io/ a go.

 

That looks like a good option.  IIS is overkill as well but I had it running for something else anyway and it only takes me a few minutes to configure so......   Let me know how Traefik works out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites