3.5.5 (46010) crashing(?) win 10

flashfletch100

Hi torrenters

I have been using utorrent for 10+ years on a number of different installations (from win 7 to 10 - fully updated) and been really happy with it most of the time but recently (12 months or so) I have had odd things happening. I have nearly 1200 torrents that I am seeding and leave my system running constantly. I am now finding that randomly (from a few hours to a week or more, recently it has been much more frequent, hence my request for help) utorrent will stop responding and the only way I can get it back is to use Task Manager to stop it. Alternatively, when I come back to the computer after a period of inactivity it will either appear to wake up and allow me to open a window then freeze with the only option to do a hard restart, or I can't even get the system to wake with a half dozen or so mouse clicks and then a 'squeak' (buffer full??) and a hard restart. I can't even use crtl-alt-del to access the power option and do a restart/shutdown - they both hang.

I am running the system now without utorrent and there appears to be no problem (but I will give it some more time to be sure) ... still no problem after 24 hours or so.

Any suggestions?  I have thought of simply uninstalling utorrent and reinstalling a fresh version, but I don't want to have to restart/stop 1200 torrents ...

Edit: It also appears that there is some kind of memory leak with my current utorrent iteration. With utorrent running memory usage on my system climbs from ~50% to 75+% over two or three days (if my system remains usable for that long). Without utorrent running, memory usage has risen from 41% to 43% over the last 48 hours ...

flashfletch100

Edited by flashfletch100
More information relevant to problem

On 5/26/2021 at 3:42 PM, flashfletch100 said:

Hi torrenters

Edit: It also appears that there is some kind of memory leak with my current utorrent iteration. With utorrent running memory usage on my system climbs from ~50% to 75+% over two or three days (if my system remains usable for that long). Without utorrent running, memory usage has risen from 41% to 43% over the last 48 hours ...

flashfletch100

Which build number is it?

OK, so the GDI leak should be fixed. http://utclient.utorrent.com/offers/beta_release_notes/release_notes.html

Your advanced->cache settings-screen?

13 hours ago, xecutable said:

Use @rafi's .exe with LAA flag. It has solved all crashes for me.

This can ~double your  memory available  for utorrent on x64 OS (so reduce the crashing/freeze risk), but not the consumption of it...

Edited by rafi

Right, but I haven't seen a single crash on a brand new system with b550 pro motherboard, 16gb ram. Before your LAA flag .exe I was getting crashes whenever I was seeding ~20 torrents. That was my max. At 150 now, I've been running for weeks without any single freeze or hick up. So big thanks for it.

Hi rafi

Sorry, been busy - here's the Disc cache window as requested ...

As for my other question which is now even more important ... I have downloaded your uTorrent with LAA flag but I have a concern about simply installing it. Will this recreate the utorrent directory (and so wipe all my current torrents)? Or does it simply replace uTorrent.exe and keep everything else the same? I worry as I had an 'update' that came through a few years ago and then caused problems for me activating torrent files. I had to downgrade to an earlier version and when I did it caused many of my completed torrents to restart from 0%.

Last question (I hope) - for quite some time now I have not been able to get any sensible response from the uTorrent Setup Guide that tests bandwidth and network settings. That button (bottom right of window) will variously show green/yellow/red. I used to use it a lot to make sure that I actually had an active connection but now it never connects to a 'test location' and the Network test always fails with 'Port is not open' yet I can still download AND seed with no apparent problem. I have a set port which has access through my firewall (assuming I actually know what I'm doing ...)  (I use Private Internet Access as my VPN and usually link through Toronto) Has the Setup Guide been discontinued but not removed? Or is it probably a wrinkle due to my system and settings?

Thanks

flashfletch100

Clipboarder.2021.05.29.png

Edited by flashfletch100
correcting info

Enable static cache (small, 128- 512)

> I have a concern about simply installing it.

No need to "install" it, just replace you current exe (which you can back-up if you like. Nothing should change. You might need to exclude it in your A/V and/or Defender.

Settings "Guide"  fails for me too. Ignore it. Net status should be green tho (= open port ), if not,  make it so, but allowing uT exe in  the firewall and forwarding in the router.

There is also a sample settings file bellow if you want to try.

And ask the admin here to help with old attachments...

Edited by rafi

• 1 month later...

I can confirm the memory leak... uTorrent had an auto-update to 46010 yesterday, and overnight my machine ran out of memory, and the pagefile grew to 20+ gigabytes... Everything halted to a stop, and I had to reboot...

Right now it leaks memory at approximately 50MB per minute... The leak stops if I close uTorrent... Cache settings don't have any effect on that... Auto-update doesn't find any new versions, but I have version 46038 on another machine... I'm gonna try to update manually and see if it helps...

chart.png.72f27b252fb716490f9085521e9e10e7.png

Update: version 46038 (LAA version too) still leaks memory like crazy... I even tried disabling BTT feature with no effect... :(

Maybe it's because I have 70+ active uploads?.. The leaks seems to be proportional to the upload speed... Not sure if it's been this bad before version 46010 - I do see some strange downward trends in the old RAM and pagefile usage graphs... Not as steep as is is now... There was a Windows update as well, though...

I have no idea what is going on... Maybe it's the latest Windows 10 update...

I reverted back to 45988... I restart uTorrent at 22:25 with your settings that is not too different from mine, and let it run for a while with almost constant 3MB/s upload with 74 torrents active (not all of them actively uploading)... According to Task Manager uTorrent.exe has only about 150MB of memory allocated the whole time... 35 minutes later I have 2 gigabytes of free RAM less... I close uTorrent, and that releases 3.2 gigabytes of RAM... I don't know what has been using all that RAM, but it is not displayed anywhere in the Task Manager... Pagefile usage hasn't been changing much - it seems to only go up when there's less than 4GB free RAM...

chart.png.ebc16ac5336f6c25560c8f369a48117b.png

Filesystem cache?..

Feels like Windows cache management related (or lack of...). Have you tried with a larger swap file? I have it set to a custom 16GB (in my case - on C, SSD).

Windows caching has it's own setups, and also many RAM flushing/cleaning utilities you can try. One thing you can try, is to run it minimized, so to eliminate GUI leaks, which I don't believe it has now (or check GDI objects increase in task manager)...

Edit:

It is explained a bit more - here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/you-experience-performance-issues-in-applications-and-services-when-the-system-file-cache-consumes-most-of-the-physical-ram-9130b83c-aef1-9ed8-830b-07a2543a70eb

There are utilities like RAMMap64.exe  which you can use periodically to "help" windows, or - https://thegeekpage.com/clear-ram-cache-memory/ ...

Edited by rafi

Looks like this is exactly my issue, at least partially... I have many huge 4K torrents active, and according to RamMap it quickly leads to up to 4 gigabytes of RAM used in the Mapped File category, especially if the upload rate is high...

I'm trying to use this advice right now to see if it helps... 

Also, there seems to be a different source of leaks since I've updated to Windows 10 21H1... I ran out of memory this morning without uTorrent running... Happened for the second time this morning...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, eliot_cougar said:

I'm trying to use this advice right now to see if it helps...

Interesting. Please update with your findings.

BTW, this has been mentioned in the forum 6 years ago already...

Edited by rafi
  • Confused 1

On 7/13/2021 at 8:35 PM, rafi said:

Interesting. Please update with your findings.

Finally found the culprit to be the new ReFS.sys driver... It has been updated in KB5003690 to the version 10.0.19041.1081... I've installed the update on July 3rd, and that's when the weekly memory leaks started... It happens every week at the same time, right after Windows performs its scheduled maintenance, and creates a restore point... Surprisingly, I don't see this issue on a different machine with a similar ReFS volume...

1.thumb.png.1ecbf5b66de8b0c94a1a2c80c4013caa.png

7 effin' gigabytes!..

The registry change to uTorrent did help with the RAM usage a little bit, but the main problem was not that...

UPDATE after one month: The ReFS.sys driver has been slightly updated, but the issue is still present, and I don't see it reported by anyone else (not many people use it, I guess)... I was able to automate the preventive measures by triggering "Free Working Set" command (EmptyStandbyList.exe) when the amount of free RAM drops below 1gig... Somehow that lets the ReFS driver release all the RAM it took...

Edited by eliot_cougar
  • Thanks 1