Forum enhancements...

TurtlesRock

I think such options require changing forum code. Since the developers and the forum maintainers are the same people i think you'd prefer that they worked on µtorrent rather than made new forum options :)

Though i think that some signature pictures are a bit too large.

vurlix said the software used for the forum might change since he wants to redesign the site sometime.. most other forums have that option you need (IPB/punBB/SMF).

In most forums i visit, something around 500x150 25kB sig images are the max allowed. 500 might be a little wide for people with low resolutions, but the height is small enough and the filesize keeps pages from taking hours to load.

I'd suggest 400x120 as a max, personally.

But if the software for the forum does change, can I make a personal plea NOT to even consider vBulletin? I hate that pile of trash, and a couple of the forums I was an active member on recently changed over to it - I've barely visited since. IPB isn't so bad, it's usable at least. Haven't tried the others, I personally prefer just phpBB for most things.

I'd suggest 400x120 as a max, personally.

But if the software for the forum does change, can I make a personal plea NOT to even consider vBulletin? I hate that pile of trash, ...

Well fucking said. :evil: The person who made vBulletin needs to be taken out back and shot! :evil:

If you're using Firefox you can just Adblock them if you really want to :)

Or Greasemonky. I have a script installed that blocks sig images and avatars on all phpBB boards.

vurlix said the software used for the forum might change since he wants to redesign the site sometime.. most other forums have that option you need (IPB/punBB/SMF).

phpBB = Bad security, bloat = crap

IPB = Just plain crap

SMF = bloat, uber-slowness (I'm a contributer over there...Just trust me on this. After sinking hundreds into the project and having it continue to devour system resources and maintain the slownes of page loading almost makes me cry.) = horrible crap upon crap

punBB = Beauty in simplicity, usability, easy to create templates (It just uses CSS), almost no server resources used, fast = wonderful and beautiful ;)

MrTufty - Private messaging is a mod (very good one at that) that was put together by ConnorHD: http://forums.punbb.org/viewtopic.php?id=9035

punBBs creator was very adament about this:

Some features that I have so far chosen not to implement are: private messaging, file attachments, polls, linking to off-site avatars, advanced text formatting controls, subforums etc etc. The jury is still out on some of these features, but don't expect them to pop up anytime soon. It should however be noted that most, if not all of these features have been realised in the form of third-party mods.

However, every single one of these functions can be added with simple mods (On a test board I added every mod on this list, plus 4 others in 30min).

just installed punbb and had a tinker with it. looks pretty good from what ive made of it so far. theres only a few tweaks i would make to it. eg larger font for post titles, remove who post was made by in the title. alter the coloured bars for the category and forum name to images instead. the coloured bars make the board look flat imo. the best free forum board ive seen so far. id still pick invision power board myself as its just so much nicer but because you have to buy it ( unless using the old free 1.3 version ) it just wouldnt be worth using it for the µTorrent board.

IPB may be nice, but it still has tons of bloat. Its like Azereus - they tried to fit every possible option in it, instead of staying with the basics.

Also, there are some pretty good themes and stuff you can tweak to make your own over at http://punres.org . Or, just start your own from scratch - uses CSS...Not that hard to customize.

Now, for all the changes you talk about, they're very easy to make. Most can be found here:

http://punres.org/doku.php

Archived