Testimonials

silverfire

• 6 months later...

I have always loved how utorrent works and manages my downloads as well as uploads at the same time and how much better it is than all the other clients that are available. the one thing that held me back was that my PC would get bogged down when running utorrent but once again thanks to utorrent and the FAQ's guides utorrent has even helped me get rid of a firewall/anti virus program that was making my life miserable. It has also never installed any form of malware or toolbars that I didn't want. So I will not be the first to say that utorrent is know my ONLY torrent client thank you and keep up the incredible work!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Silverfire, thank you so much for this thread! It's perfect for what I'd like to share!

I used another client for several years. I noticed that my laptop ran hot when it was active, and that it used a good deal of memory... But I thought that was a byproduct of torrenting.

Recently, when that program was updated, I began receiving errors unique to that program (I googled and found out that the problems were specifically related to my old client.) Afterwards, I went on the hunt for a new one.

That's when I realized that the majority of seeds & peers that I had been connecting to used µTorrent. I figured, they must know something I don't. LOL! So I gave it a whirl, and haven't looked back since.

The first thing I noticed was that µTorrent uses so little RAM that it's almost as if it's not running! I was so surprised that I continued to check to make sure it was functioning properly. Then I noticed that my computer remained very cool while using it, even when µTorrent ran for days on end. Unbelievable!

I was initially disappointed when I discovered that some of the bells & whistles that I was accustomed to in my old client don't exist in µTorrent; but it occurred to me that I never needed those elements in the first place. Honestly, I prefer the low memory usage and absolute reliability of µTorrent to fancy additions in a program laden with cons! :cool:

I'm really lovin' µTorrent!! My only regret is that I did not find it sooner.

Some of the "bells and whistles" you might see in other programs are in µTorrent...just in a different way. µTorrent's logging of what it's doing is better than even the "more complex" BitTorrent clients., though they may EQUAL it with lots of add-ons. µTorrent's speed graphs are a clear way to tell if it was idle/slow up to 10 hours ago...while also showing realtime speeds on another scale. Even the "overhead" download speed shown while seeding has clued me in that some BitTorrent clients (BitComet on handshakes/reconnects) are a LOT "noisier" than others at accomplishing the same task.

I seriously doubt most other p2p progams could handle a blocklist a very long ip blocklist without noticeable cpu load. Do note that ip blocklists are generally useless at preserving privacy...and the really long ones block huge sections of standard consumer connections in major ISPs. I've since abandoned the long blocklists and reduced ipfilter.dat down to fewer than 40 ip ranges. (Known poisoner company ip ranges...saves µTorrent the trouble of banning them AFTER getting a hash fail. And possibly saves redownloading 4 MB pieces.)

Sometimes you want a cool toy that has lots of neat things on it. Other times, you want a simple tool that just works. µTorrent isn't just the latter, it's even got µTris.

Switeck, the 'bells & whistles' I referred to absolutely do not exist in µTorrent. But that is why I labelled them as such: they are unnecessary extras. :P

In the end, I just want my torrent program to work reliably and not strain my system. µTorrent is perfect for me! ;)

• 2 months later...

Count me as another of the growing group of former Azureus/Vuze users who have happily switched to µTorrent.

I was happy with Azureus for a number of years and content to Seed torrents to fairly high ratios, even though sometimes the Java environment and AZ put a real load on my first-generation Intel iMac. Lately, though, Azureus became Vuze and fundamental transformations in the software's functions and apparent purpose developed. I wasn't entirely happy with these new developments, since they seemed irrelevant to the software's primary purpose, BitTorrent file sharing.

Adding a social network on top of the informal and anonymous community seemed like a bad idea from the start. Even for those of us who use BitTorrent to distribute free software and Creative-Commons-licensed works, knowing who else was doing the same thing seemed pointless and led to the addition of more code and a consequent increase in number of bugs and dilution of software debugging efforts. For those individuals using BitTorrent to distribute files for which their permission to "make available" is unclear, being known to others would seem to be an active problem, not just a parasitic feature. I suppose that for some people the ability to give preferential treatment to their friends might seem like a good idea, but to me it seems like a way to turn groups of friends into "leech clusters," which to my mind makes it a misfeature.

My perception of these new developments as harmful made me ever less enthusiastic about using Vuze, but it was software I had on my computer and could use without learning anything new. Most recently, Vuze announced the availability of features to transcode audiovisual content for multiple devices and distribution systems, such as the iPod via iTunes and the TiVo via the TiVo file copying protocols. I own both these devices and the prospect interested me.

Transcoding and transmission for my TiVo never worked, though. At first I thought that this was due to an issue with unsynchronized releases: the transcoder components which were known to work with the last but one release of the core components not working with the latest release of the core components. An upgrade to the TiVo-related code came out, though, and still didn't work, even while TiVo functionality had been announced and was being used to promote adoption of the Vuze client.

To me, this seemed like confirmation that my concerns about the size of the feature set and its effect on code quality were quite justified. After a couple of days of frobnicating my Vuze installation to try to get TiVo results out of it I discovered that µTorrent was available for MacOS X in a well-developed Beta state and I decided to give it a try.

After a few days of using µTorrent, I threw Vuze into AppZapper and committed myself to using the new client. It's true that it still lacks some features of Vuze and (it says here) the Windows version of µTorrent, but I haven't missed them much. Rather, I found it easy to find a few critical controls and some features I'm not sure I ever had before.

Setting bandwidth limits was easy, and I knew the amount of bandwidth I wanted to give this use of my Internet connection from experience with the other software. Port randomization is a feature I don't remember seeing before, and since my FiOS firewall can be configured on the fly by the software, all I had to do was let the software do its thing. The feature I had to research the most was encryption, and that was just a matter of reading a paragraph of documentation. Turning it on but not requiring it was a no-brainer.

Moving the torrents I was seeding over to the new software took a little more effort and a certain amount of nailbiting, and I even managed to overwrite a copy of one distro image in working it out. Some documentation on how to migrate existing seeded torrents would be a good thing to have on this site.

Switching to µTorrent was one of the easiest software change decisions I've made and implemented in more than thirty years of working with computers. The reputation of µTorrent is good, the functionality and user interface are clean and simple, and it has a characteristic we Mac users are very fond of: It Just Works. Kudos to the developers for an outstanding piece of work.

Thanks for the pointer, Switeck. Today I went back for another look at the documentation and found the link you've pointed out and was just visiting the forums to correct myself.

I'm going to be generous to myself and conclude that I was so excited about µTorrent that I stopped reading the documentation too early. Since the migration did go pretty smoothly for me, I conclude that the software is even better than I thought, and the documentation is really excellent.

I'm going to review my settings against the "Conservative Settings Chart" now. I think I'm within the limits, but I might have set too many slots.

Thanks again!

If you have a very high download speed relative to your upload speed (10:1 or more) *AND* very reliable network hardware and software, you can view the global and per-torrent max limits mentioned in uTorrent's Speed Guide CTRL+G menu as the upper limit for what might work ok for your line.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is my testimonial. As everyone knows, uTorrent is the No.1 BitTorrent Client. However, at first, I didn't know a single thing about torrent downloading. After hearing about torrents,I knew it was time to find a client that downloaded torrents fast. It had to be manageable too, without a single problem at all. (I'm a little choosy, see.) It was a real task. One night, I had a brainwave. I sent out e-mails to my torrent-crazy friends, asking the which was the best BitTorrent Client. Most typed back 'uTorrent'. I was a bit skeptical the first time, but after seeing uTorrents awesome abilities, I was downloading torrents faster than a jackrabbit than can jump!(That, by the way, is my inspiration for my username.) The awesome abilities also inspired my signature.

By the way, I rejected all my friends who didn't type 'uTorrent' in when I asked them about it. Haha...

Well if you want mine here goes. If I make you feel dumb by me having to explain some things please understand alot of people do not understand what these terms are so I don't mean to put anybody down I just want you to understand were I am comming from. and Yes I give you premission to fix my spelling. First of all I am legally blind (yes as in can't see) I have had lots of trouble in using other programs because they are not screen reader friendly (a screen reader is exactly what is says it reads the screen that you normally would see with your eyes) Eather they contain lots of code and not real text or they do not contain what is known as mouse overs (you know when you put your mouse over a button a little side window pops up and normally tells you what that button does). A screan reader reads that. Anyway utorrent is the only one I have used that lets me use my screen reader and it truely has the correct information in the mouseover and I want to say Thank you. That is why I do not mind helping when new versons are being tested cause I know I have a unique trait that to put it mildly if I can navigate and use it any one can lol

Hopefully no one got made on how I explained things

• 1 month later...

utorrent works great and I have no problems with downloads or uploads. However, I have received a notice from Road Runner that Customer Care from RR that they have received a copyright infringement notice from MPAA ( Motion Picture Association of America) and RR blocks all use of any browsers until you agree to stop using and p2p services. Any suggestions Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, and yes, uTorrent is working great for me but I am a total newb when it comes to this particular program, the "client." manners and etiquette, the lot. I get the gist of it as in the BIG picture, but whittling it down and looking at it with a more synergistic approach is my ultimate goal right now. It's like a Monet, you know? Looking at it from an overall view via satellite, lol, (it could happen), anyway, yeah, the picture is clear but getting close and personal and trying to understand all the dynamics at play, it suddenly begins looking like a big, ol' mess. Due to my eyesight obviously. I'm no quitter though, and I even have a few brain and ocular cells left, so I will figure this all out sufficiently or die trying. The first thing you need is a healthy respect and once you have that you might even be able to find Xanadu, at least Kubla Khan said so. There!! Is THAT the river Alph in the east?? There have been rumors.

I love the results I have gotten so far, nothing short of phenomenal *knocks on wood* so thanks to the creators, and I understand "I scratch your back, you scratch mine," "one hand washes the other" etc. so for now just call me "Little Bo Apple Seed." I am a female, but am somehow able to spread my seed with a vengeance so far and I think I should shut up because I am also superstitious, and I have said enough already to put me and my PC "Mikey" out of commission for a good piece of time. Greetings, best wishes and Happy Labor Day weekend to you all!! Watch over us all Claude!! *wanders away, sniffing the scent of honeydew in the air*

• 3 weeks later...

lolz! thnx to all people who are responsible for the development of this program. the best torrent program ever. i dont even need to install. i am using the stand alone version and its working perfectly. once again thnx. I intended to register in this forum just to thank you guys.

• 3 months later...

As an IT guy for 13+ years, I've always been too impatient (lazy) to learn the bit torrent technology. I am vehemently opposed to streaming (lack of control, commercials & system vulnerabilities). I have struggled for years trying to find a legal way to simply download a movie, song or program & have been willing to pay if I could find a program that could "deliver". I used Limewire for years (mainly for songs) but the movie availability & scarcity of selection drove me to places like zml…Until they got seized by the feds. Recently Limewire has befallen a similar fate & everyone who heard & understood my plight always praised bit torrent as the answer to the very problems I had been encountering. I kept trying to find a "pay per movie" download sight but I quickly learned that movie searches (mis)lead you to sites that don't have the very movie(s) that led you to their site in the 1st place (bait & switch / Bait & scam).

So…I begrudgingly decided to try utorrent…At first I wasn't sure but when I found the (simple) UI extras search engine box "re-paste" instructions I finally got RESULTS. Nearly 100% search & download results (3 to 4 hundred kbps dl speeds don't hurt my opinion either).

Utorrent is simple, excellently priced & EASY TO USE & as my user name implies, I still don't know how the bit torrent tech works (yet). But I am dedicated to the utorrent "cause". I excitingly endorse it & want to do everything I can to help &/or further its success. Be vigilant & keep control in your hands.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Last night was my first experience. I have been a longtime Limewire and Frostwire user, and becoming increasingly disgusted with it. I explored the issue, downloaded uTorrent and I am amazed at this! I downloaded two versions of the complete Shostakovich Symphonies, about 15 hrs of music each, by Rostropovich and Haitink. The Rostro set is said to be a flac file, but is too small, I think, to be that. Logger listed a bunch of hashfails. It plays in Windows Media Player, which won't normally play flac. I suspect it is really an mp3. So far, playing seems fine though, but I haven't been through all of it yet. The Haitink set really is flac and I had to figure out to play it, finally solved it. The sound is better than the Rostro set. I am using a very basic generic file viewer that I found on my computer. Can anyone recommend. something more sophisticated for this kind of file? If possible something that will convert a flac file for burning to a cd? I love this program and congratulate the developers greatly. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

been using utorrent for a long time. the latest version im using (bld 25806) is by far the best to date at handling bandwidth. at least in my case. torrents (no matter the client) have always hogged my bandwidth, making other web tasks nearly impossible and relegating torrent use to off-times. not the case any longer.

great job utorrent crew!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived