thousands of hashfails

cluck

but doesn't utorrent block them automatically after like 5 hashfails? ive downloaded the same pieces over a hundred times each. its just a 93 meger so it doesnt take long but since so many ips are blocked i down get many connected peers.

You may want to put a duration limit (3mo?) on auto-blocklist entries. Peers sometimes inadvertantly send bad data due to hard-drive corruption from a crash, and a bad peer may close his account with his ISP, which then provides the IP to another customer. Pro fakebots are likely to change their IPs regularly anyway.

Honeyfrog, you misread Ultima I guess. The auto ban of hashfailers stays just for the active session of µt. (if you don't close and restart µT in 3 month by chance ... ;-) )

If you enter the IP's in the ipfilter.dat blocklist file they stay there and are active as long as you use the list with its entries.

So by pointing out that "Pro fakebots are likely to change their IPs regularly anyway" you were so nice to also point out why publicly downloadable blocklists are in effect useless to protect you from being "catched" by copyrightenforcers. thanks for that :-)

The auto ban of hashfailers stays just for the active session of µt.

I'd to see that increased to a set number of days. I frequently have to shut down uTorrent (let alone my computer) for all kinds of reasons.

by pointing out that "Pro fakebots are likely to change their IPs regularly anyway" you were so nice to also point out why publicly downloadable blocklists are in effect useless to protect you from being "catched" by copyrightenforcers. thanks for that :-)

Condoms, body-armor and immunization shots for children don't stop everything either. Nothing is perfect: Bad guys and diseases evolve; the best you can hope to do is keep pace and deflect their attentions toward completely unprotected prey.

PG is, IMO, an indespensible tool for the sole reason of being able to create my own personal blocklists for particularly odious leeches, and also for the ability to determine whether or not pingstorming fakebots are riding along certain announce URLs in a multi-tracker .torrent (which, when hacked out followed by a restart, may help boost speeds enormously, particularly if the pingstorming had prompted one's ISP to throttle bandwidth).

Archived