unstable upload speed

hofshi

I've been using µtorrent for several weeks now, and I think it is great. (a big thank you to the developers!).

I'm encountering a problem of unstable upload speed.

my connection has a maximum upload speed of 12KB/s.

I usually set µtorrent to a global maximum upload rate of 9 or 10 KB/s, but I never seem to maintain this upload rate.

not even when I'm the only seeder on a torrent with several leeches connected to me, and nothing running on the computer besides µtorrent.

the upload speed usually ripples between 3 and 8 KB/s, and every now and then drops to zero.

Can anyone help me figure out what can be done to resolve this?

Thanks,

Hofshi.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that I am using µtorrent 1.2, and that this problem doesn't apear when I use Azureus and the same settings.

Thanks, but this does not solve the problem. my graph is less stable then the ones shown in the thread that you posted. In addition, there are too many times when my upload speed goes to zero, and for too much time.

might there be a setting that I am using that is causing this ?

thanks for you help,

Hofshi

Hi Firon,

Thanks for you quick reply.

I set 4 upload slots. I try to follow the thumb rule of at least 2kB/s per upload slot.

I will try turning on peer.lazy_bitfield. It was indeed off in my settings. maybe that is the problem.

I didn't manage to understand from the FAQ what exactly it is that this bit does, so I didn't play with it yet. Can this bit do some harm when on, if it is not an ISP related problem?

Thank you,

Hofshi.

They either slow down the seeding connections or they kill the connections. And yes, it's most likely legal for them to do so. I'm 99% sure that they mentioned that they reserve the right to 'take necessary steps to maintain network quality' in their Terms of Service contract, which means they have the right to invent bullshit reasons to choke your bandwidth.

after turning on peer.lazy_bitfield the problem is gone 75% of the times.

this is not as good as Azureus (yet), but definitely a big improvement. I suggest turning this bit on by defaul in the next versions of µtorrent.

@ Firon: thank you very much for you assistance! if you (or anyone else) have any more insights as to how to achieve even more stable upload speed , I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,

Hofshi

And yes, it's most likely legal for them to do so. I'm 99% sure that they mentioned that they reserve the right to 'take necessary steps to maintain network quality' in their Terms of Service contract, which means they have the right to invent bullshit reasons to choke your bandwidth.

Silverfire is probably right but I'd check on it with a lawyer anyhow. We shouldn't have to accept every BS the ISP throws at us just because they can't run a network the way it's supposed to. And some clauses have no legal effect if they are contrary to state laws or even if abusive. And lookup fitness for purpose, you might have more rights than you think. ;-)

Archived