Options / Auto Shutdown

ajones81

Until explicitly disabled, whatever is selected once in the Options / Auto Shutdown menu should remain selected across sessions, even if uTorrent is completely closed in between. Frankly, I'm tired of selecting the shutdown option every time, and whenever I forget (which happens maybe 2 out of 5 times), my computer stays on unnecessarily.

If it was designed to be a permanent option, it wouldn't be in the menus; it would be in the Preferences like other proper/permanent options are at.

Most people I've seen use the shutdown features occasionally, not across every session. Making it always on persist by default is even more confusing. What happens if someone rushes off in the middle of doing some important work, and µTorrent (soon after) shuts down because they forgot to disable it from the last time they wanted to use it? Two words: lost work. You can blame it on them and say "your fault for not remembering to save," but then they could just as easily say "your fault for not remembering to select it every time."

At the most, your request should be an option to have it remember, not to make it on persist by default and have an option to turn the persisting off. I still disagree with it, though, since it encourages leeching by having it remember (always leaving after downloads finish).

I never said shutdown should be on by default. I only said the last selected state should persist. Maybe there can be a checkbox for this somewhere so if people like me want the state to persist, they can select that option.

I generally schedule my heavy downloads for the night when the charges are low, so I prefer that uTorrent shut down my PC in case it completes before I get up. Why should it keep running through the night unnecessarily wasting power doing nothing?

I think this would be ridiculously easy to implement (a checkbox causes the shutdown state to be saved or reset everytime) and would help me as well as other users in the same boat a lot.

Re. people losing their work, a statusbar icon would be ideal to inform them of the current state (different icons+colours for disabled, quit, reboot, shutdown etc., just like the connection status icon). This would anyway be very useful as at present one has to open the menu to see the current state. Right clicking the icon could bring up the same menu as Options / Auto Shutdown, and double-clicking could take users to the Prefs. page with the aforementioned checkbox. Elegant and simple, wouldn't you say?

Re. the leeching, come on. I seed at least 1:1 for everything I download so it's not as if I want this feature just to leech more. Plus, the options are there anyway (all I want is a way for uTorrent to remember them), so it's not as if a dedicated leecher will leech even more, or a committed seeder will start leeching all of a sudden due to this. In fact, don't you think leechers tend to delete torrents immediately after downloading far more than shutting down their machines everytime in order to prevent seeding?

I worded my response badly :o Change what I said about being on by default to persisting by default (which is what I meant anyway).

Regarding the leecher stuff: there isn't any way to delete immediately (and there never will be). What other way is there to stop uploading (leech) than by simply shutting down or exiting? The leecher stuff I mentioned was something of an aside (really) more than anything (though I still think it true) :P

No problem! :) I already stated that I would be more than happy with "... a checkbox for this somewhere so if people like me want the state to persist, they can select that option."

Let it be disabled by default so the application's default behaviour stays the same, whereas those who want it can enable the feature.

What I meant by 'delete immediately' is that most leechers, once they're through downloading a torrent, simply delete it manually from the queue. No automagic deletion of torrents was being implied.

Indeed, but the point behind the automatic shutdown is that it's not manual. We're only talking about automatic ways to leech here, and persistent automatic shutdowns would (conceivably) make it that much easier for them.

I'm not misunderstanding your posts here, so I'm not really reading into it more than you're posting (I didn't mean to say you implied automatic deletion) :)

Enough of that, though; like I said, it was an aside anyway :P

Ultima, there's absolutely no misunderstanding. I know where you're coming from re. the leeching issue. Your's was a comment on leechers in general, and it was absolutely true. An automatic auto shutdown (!) would indeed make it a little simpler for leechers (not too much, as one can manually select the option every time anyway), but it would also be a much appreciated feature no doubt among pay-as-you-use or dial-up users, esp. in places where people pay through their noses for an internet connection that crawls.

Ok, how about this - new options being added to the menu that will shutdown etc. only after the seeding goal has been achieved? There could be a checkbox in the Prefs. to turn this feature on or off, so people who want the current behaviour can continue to use uTorrent as before.

So, in short:

1) Checkbox to save auto shutdown selection

2) Statusbar icon showing current auto shutdown status with context menu

3) New auto shutdown menu options to auto shutdown only after seeding goal is achieved

4) Checkbox to turn off above feature so people who absolutely require immediate auto shutdown (same behaviour as exists now) can have it their way

• 11 months later...

OK, people, this has been a pretty thorough discussion on the auto-shutdown defaults settings topic. I COMPLETELY agree with ajones81 that user control is needed, so who can we communicate with about implementing a way to accomplish this ?

• 3 months later...

Archived