4 features. Easy work for developers.

dImItrIs69

the torrent maker already ignores thumbs.db

It does? In which version? Not in 1.4.2-beta428. I just tried it. Did I use it wrong? Is there an Advanced Option to set?

The changelog for 1.4 stable (build 402) says that deletion now includes thumbs.db. But including on delete and ignoring on create are rather different.

the torrent maker already ignores thumbs.db

It does? In which version? Not in 1.4.2-beta428. I just tried it. Did I use it wrong? Is there an Advanced Option to set?

The changelog for 1.4 stable (build 402) says that deletion now includes thumbs.db. But including on delete and ignoring on create are rather different.

ammm, it just does...

wait a second, just tried it myself, it doesnt ignore it, must be the private beta that does taht :P

Ultima, trouble is that Thumbs.db is very visible to torrent creation utilities but not to users who have Windows at the default settings of concealing hidden files, system files, and file extensions. They like to yell at us "there's nothing in my folder but .flacs and .jpgs and the .txt file!" when we reject a .torrent upload for having Thumbs.db in it.

Then we have to explain to them how to show hidden files, to show system files, and to change their View setting for that folder and their default View setting to something other than Thumbnails. Then finally they can delete it and it will stay deleted.

So yes, we have a prepared text but they don't follow it. It's far easier to tell them to make the .torrent file with MakeTorrent or Azureus after setting it to skip Thumbs.db files.

And you can't leave the damn things in: their contents are always changing, so when it comes time to send that piece out to the swarm its content won't be the same as it was when the metafile was created, and depending on the initial seeder's client, the client will either demote itself to leecher or send out a hashfail.

Sadly, µTorrent falls in the latter category if the source is changed after the starting check, or if you pick "open for seeding" and it doesn't do a file check at all but your source doesn't actually match with the metafile.

Ignore which, Nefarious? Thumbs.db files or pieces that will fail their hashes if sent?

I don't know whether BitComet will leave a Thumbs.db file out of a torrent (it gladly includes the invalid null path at the end of an empty directory). It does rehash every piece before sending and won't send out a hashfail if the piece has been altered since the metafile was created.

Most people, Nefarious? Not in my experience. You and I clearly move in different circles.

We (at the tracker where I'm a moderator) have always pushed MakeTorrent, but sometimes on larger torrents, I think only if you select Automatic for the piece size, it can create a torrent with the wrong number of pieces for the total file sizes, and then no decent client will tolerate the .torrent file. It also has not been updated since May, 2004, so it cannot create trackerless torrents nor, at the other end, include the private flag: in fact, if you use it to edit a torrent, it will delete the private flag and any other key it wouldn't create on its own. But darn it, it will skip those pesky Thumbs.db files. If µTorrent will be doing that too, we can stop recommending MakeTorrent.

We strongly discourage BitComet for creating .torrent files, because it includes the fallow path of an empty subdirectory, and that makes other clients barf. As a client we ban BitComet altogether.

--- 2006-02-26: Version 1.4.2-beta (build 429)

- Feature: Reorder RSS favorites

- Feature: If user is running from temporary internet files, prompt to install it.

- Feature: Added popup menu to easily change if the scheduler/dht is enabled.

- Change: Switch default theme

- Change: Skip hidden/system files when creating torrent.

- Change: Right align some columns.

- Change: Remove spaces from urls in RSS feeds

- Change: DHT binds UDP socket to net.bind_ip

- Change: If a file is larger than what it's supposed to, force a refresh.

- Fix: Prevent windows from going above pixel 0.

- Fix: Ratio on generals tab wasn't computed exactly like the main list.

:)

I mentioned it before he did

Firon ... er, you said in post 57146 that the feature was already in the torrent maker, which is not true for people like me. Nefarious said in post 157706 that it was in build 429, which is true [unless you're both wrong] whether the reader can use build 429 or not. (How did there get to be a jump of 100,000 in the message numbers in that time?)

Yeah, I was wrong back then :D I have no idea how it jumped 100k posts.

ludde said he'd put it in for thumbs.db long ago, but apparently he hadn't. Then I mentioned today that in the next beta (I say 'next beta' because I don't count private betas as a release), the torrent maker will ignore files with hidden or system attribute :P

In any case... yet another +1 for µTorrent! (a smarter torrent maker)

Having it skip all hidden and system files is an improvement over hard-coding the name Thumbs.db; this way it will avoid desktop.ini and anything else the typical user doesn't expect. (There still is the problem of .DS_Store files when the fileset was prepared on a Macintosh, but you can't rightly expect a program for Windows to allow for that.) So Ludde is actually going MakeTorrent and Azureus one better.

Then again, it also means that I can't test it just by creating an ordinary file and naming it Thumbs.db or desktop.ini; I'll have to mark it hidden or let Windows make the real thing. Well, we'll see when it's in a public release (beta or otherwise).

I really hope that nothing I'm saying here is coming off like a whine to be let in on the private betas. Ludde needs active testers for those, and I couldn't be one.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived