Make upload speed equal to download speed

sahib

I request this feature purely out of annoyance. I'm just seriously bummed about always beeing the one uploading @ 900kbps and downloading @ 20kbps (on a sunny day!). Don't get me wrong, i'm all about sharing and hugging but this scenario is just plain wrong! When i get to download @ say 400kbps i'll be happy to upload with all my 10mbit power, not as it is now though. So pissed seeing peers uploading at 1.2kbps.

In short: I get 20kbps, i give 20kbps. I get 1000kbps, i give 1000kbps.

Btw, i realize this will only make sense for people with full duplex pipes but i bet some of you rocket scientists can figure out a way to make it work for everybody.

Not possible on any file sharing protocol, really. Not everyone have an insanely big connection like yours, and you can never force people to share at a certin high rate.

With your connection you should have no problem getting on private trackers that have what you need, and in such places where ratio is enforced you are bound to get constant high speeds.

the thing that pi**es me off the most is when you look at a torrent and you see loads of bitcomet and azureus users downloading at like 300kB/s and then you see your own piddling along at like 20kB/s

That's EXACTLY what pisses me off too! I just dont see the point in people with slow connections get higher speeds than me just because they upload slowly. It's stupid.

Btw, forgive me for beeing dumb or whatever but i forgot to take my effexor today.

Hehe, Nobody is calling you dumb. You're just stating something that cant be solved really.

I can tell you that the BT protocl DOES favor people who upload more. Maybe in your case since you are able to provide for so many others, you tend to get 'marked' as a reliable source of data so people request more from you.

Since you can limit the upload speed per torrent i dont see how this feature could not be implemented. uTorrent would just check how fast my download is and limit my upload accordinigly in every refresh.

There was a similar feature in uT 1.7 whare you could say utorrent would not upload faster than Xkbps if download was below Ykbps. Something like that would be cool.

• 1 year later...

This being an old request I wonder if it has already been implemented, but I just can not find the setting.

As I am also on a 10/10Mbps line - I still second this feature wish!!

I have however also tried to see if I could accomplish the same result by adjusting the connection settings, as for one thing I noticed - while reading in the research paper about BitTyrant - that one should get as many peers as possible per torrent. For one thing this increases the possibility of hooking up with other highspeed peers.

So I tried to increase the "maiximum number of connected peers per torrent:" to 300. To allow for this possibility, I also increased the "Global maximium number of connections:" to 3000 and increased the number of upload slots per torrent to 300.

This scenario was tested while I was seeding three torrents, and downloading on only one of the torrents. The two "inactive" torrents were not i very high demand and also came from bittorrent site it self.

The torrent I wanted, had 385 peers, but I still only connected to abt. 170 peers, and would only get an average download of 120kB/s, while uploads could go as higs as 900+kB/s, so I manually set an upload maximum of 300kB/s.

As I still want to be able to use my connection for other things than just uploading to people outthere.

It is however annoying that one has to manually supervise settings and manually trim for optimum/equal ratio settings.

P.S. I don't mind an upload setting of 1:2 (D:U), but I do mind that without manually tweaking an upload of 1:4 or 1:8 may be the end result, just because I have a symmetric connection. :-)

To MrWindred,

My suggestion for the 10/10 megabits/sec symmetric connection...run more torrents.

Either that, or set the torrent to stop when seeding goals have been met. It will FIRST complete the download...which may mean you're already way beyond the seeding goals.

Most people are only giving out about 1-5 KiloBYTES/sec per upload slot on a torrent.

With your connection's speed, you're probably giving out 10+ KiloBYTES/sec per upload slot.

So even most "generous" peers are unable to match your speed.

And any speed you get from seeds of course cannot be reciprocated.

So you're forced to live with a 'deficit' on the download side.

...but at least when you allow LOTS of upload slots per torrent, then you're less likely to have as big of one.

your bandwidth is already paid for whether you use it or not but if you do feel unfair to you to share that much I suggest you go to private trackers like torrentzilla.org they are now rewarding few dvd burners to top uploaders.. as for me I will download what ever highest speed I can and upload at whatever highest speed I can.. Just look at this Utorrent You got it for free Did they ask anything from you back???? does it make them feel it is unfair to share with you..

• 2 years later...

I do not have a symmetric connection and AGREE!

I would like this feature, because I do not like having a poor ratio, but I cannot leave my client running all the time to make it up.

I would like to be able to limit my download to my upload speed, so that my ratio is never below 1.

So, I guess, in a way of speaking, I want the opposite thing. But, at the same time, it is the same thing, because I want to control my upload and download based on each other.

I know this thread is old, but I still dont see this implemented in the current version. If it is, would someone point me to it. I am new to the scene.

Of course, I suppose such a feature would have to have an option as to what to do if you aren't downloading anything on purpose, or what to do if no one is downloading from you.

• 9 months later...

I am on a 20Mbps synchronous line, after vpn on a shared node somewhere around 12Mbps synchronous, and most of the time ending up with dl/up ratio way beyond the seeding goal, feeling like feeding the universe. don't mind the sharing but that should be 2 ways.

The manual throttling is fine, just one cannot spend the entire day to monitor the varying speeds. And since uTorrent is reading dl/ul speeds why not compare and have an option to prevent the ul speed exceeding the dl speed - preferably not globally but per torrent?

well, I see. Because you personally reject the idea it is not going to happen. You argue on the other thread basis single peer (be it leacher or just somebody with a narrow ul bandwith) but the matter is actually the entire swarm, hence the spiral argument does not really come into play. And it is not mentioned here to throttle a single peer but to equalize up/down speeds per swarm/torrent. If you feel ok with a 1:10 dl/ul ratio or worse then be it, but obviously some other users do not and I am amongst them.

I actually slow down the ul speed manually when the ul/dl turns really unfavorable. the swarm never ever died of that. Instead it even prolonged the life of the torrent, whilst others pulled out as soon as the reached 100% dl.

basically you cannot control is ending the seeding, be it early at 100% dl, but you find it ok to punish those with a high ul bandwidth to seed to whatever ratio...

rather interesting approach/philosophy

a single user can be leeching or just have a narrow ul bandwidth but not an entire swarm, except the swarm would be a construct of just that single slow uploader.

not sure whether there any statistics around, not talking about the usual suspects, but the majority of the torrents seems to be balanced in favor of a faster dl than ul. now and then you come across those with perhaps one seeds, seeder capping the ul speed - understandable, and you got a few peers just sucking off the swarm but returning next to nothing

and I start throttling manually latest at 1:2 ratio, after been a few time to worse than 1:10. that requires my attention, something, I simply hoped and others seem to wish for too, be automated by UT

You can already set ratios on torrents, both individually and globally for ALL torrents.

So uTorrent will already stop or at least lower priority of any torrent that meets its ratio.

...*IF* it's finished downloading.

If it's not finished downloading and you're uploading faster than you're downloading, maybe that torrent is not well-seeded? If you lower your upload speed, that could mean the torrent swarm will die very soon from piece starvation.

If the torrent seems well-seeded and you're uploading on it faster than you're downloading...start more torrents. :P

not sure whether you read the thread prior posting...

capping/throttling does not kill a torrent, haven't seen one - contrary it does extend the lifespan of a torrent time-wise, the data volume certainly stays the same with a fixed ul rate.

the ratio setting and connected data capping in UT works only once the goal seeding is reached, however prior that there is no automatic speed balancing/equalization.

and yes, there are a few torrents out there not so well seeded, that is reality and not much one can do about.

however, it seems that this idea is being met with extreme resistance and since it was just an idea I am not going to pursue it further, will be capping/throttling swarms with a unfavorable ratio manually.

The downward spiral scenario that Ultima spelled out in his post can happen even in 1-to-many situations.

4th link in my signature talks about torrent swarm death situations.

With your linespeed, if you can't do much about poorly seeded torrents you've finished downloading...I'd say the whole system's doomed and we should just throw in the towel. :P

Archived