Error: Too many open files

i23098

I'm using uTorrent 1.7.2 in Kubuntu Linux with Wine 0.9.43...

I've got a torrent with thousand of files, and while uTorrent is checking a directory the opened files of the process just keep growing (checked using lsof command) until uTorrent fails with Error: Too many open files.

From the behavior, it seems file descriptors aren't close until the end of the checking... After checking a file, it should be closed. If it is, maybe it's a wine bug :\

Under windows I didn't have a problem, but systems can have different maximum of open files limit.

ulimit -n please

Also, could you check with win version 0.9.44 as well?

As soon as wine updates their ubuntu repository :\

Keep in mind that each peer connection in addition to each local file link counts as an open file.

I made the test with everything stopped. lsof gives 160. Next I started only the torrent that has all files (6881) already downloaded and I want to seed. uTorrent starts checking the files and never close them. lsof keeps growing until the error message...

You can't have any more open files than the ulimit -n value.

Do you know a simple way to increase the limit? I've put in sysctl.conf fs.file-max=200000 but ulimit -n still gives 1024 :\

In the case, I'm starting only a torrent with lots of files. The problem is only during the Checking phase. After the check is done, the file handlers are correctly closed. I don't see a reason for a file that was already checked, thus not in use, to remain opened...

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I am bumping this thread because of the post above where it says this bug was fixed in 1.8 beta.

I have been using 1.7.7 and had this error, so I installed 1.8.

I am sad to report that is does not fix the bug.

Also, I used ulimit and set mine to 10,000 and still having many many torrents with errors.

I am on 8.04 ubuntu and my machine is a c2d with 750GB and 3GB and never has any other issues.

What else may you suggest? Should I try and set the ulimit to 20,000? higher? I am not dumb, but I am a novice, so please be clear for me.

Kind Thanks !

I am running all updates and builds to the day! Yes!!

I can set that at any reasonable number... what might that be?

Here is what I have... I have 54 torrents and about 1200 Peers.

I do not know how many files they have in each torrent combined, but I know many of them have 100 or more files each torrent.

I understand that this IS a limit of the OS.... and so any other suggestions on tweaking the OS settings ulimit or otherwise would be great.

Thanks again, your doing great !!

Just as an additional note... of the 54 torrents.... HALF of them are reporting this error. It is not one or two of them.. I am seeding/leaching only about 18 actual torrents which are doing fine. I have stopped 10 of them, just because they were not getting more than 20K up anyway, as I try and figure this out. That leaves about 16 which are errors and which if I force start, do start and seed for a few minutes before erring out once again.

===========================================

That guide set me for 1000 connections and 25 torrents.

If that is truly it... then I am paying WAY too much for a server that is using 12% CPU on just 25 TORRENTS.

I think that is the simple answer.

You want to seed 100 torrents? Get 4 servers. LOL

Mondays... sorry I wasn't saying the speed is the problem, I was making note the usage figures you show don't seem to be indicative of a healthy system.

I wasn't even covering the limit issue you pointed out here... Maybe I'm just too far behind the times, but looking at other people's fast rigs these days... 25% CPU for 3+2 MBps means something is working overtime. I don't recall the exact figures, so you may want to check out the rest of your rig for other possible causes of the excessive usage... i.e. misconfiguration before plopping down more $ for FOUR of them... 4 means 4x as many changes from default ;)

Archived